Approach to Sevastopol, excellent battle

I will let him know, I thought his battle was pretty good. The surprising thing to most people, he was 13 when he designed it.

Between testing thins, I am currently working on:

Tarnopol, fighting in the South with an SS Panzer Abt.

Cossack Carnage, which was used in a tourney, some changes being made fromt he feedback of the tourney.

Panzers in Finland: Another historical battle, too many Finns to thank for help researching this one. Should be released soon

Thunder on the Dnepr: Just started it last night, a Romanian Assault on the Stalin Line in 1941. Semi-historical since I could not find accurate enough maps.

Rear Guard Action: Being used in a tourney, will release when it is done. People either loved it, or absolutely hated it. It depicts one of the hardest things to do, a fighting withdrawal against superior forces.

That be it from me for now.

Rune

Approach to Sevastopol is a fun scenario but has a common flaw found in too many scenario's.

That is: Reinforcements spawning in plain sight on predictable turns. Which also leads to....

Opposing forces forced to set-up in enemy line of sight. While it may be historical, it's not much fun to start taking damage right from the start because your unit couldn't start out in cover or dead ground.

All the designer needs to do is provide a slight drop in elevation on the edges of the map where units set-up or spawn. Also, making reinforcements random allows some replay variation.

Sincerely,

Ken

ken,

thank you for your comments, look forward to seeing something made by you. You cannot change locations randomly for reinforcements, and making a percentage change of even showing up is not liked by most users, as you cannot balance fairly if all troops don't appear. As for the map, I don't randomly drop terrain when trying to base it on a real map. For a 13 year old, I think he did rather well.

Rune

Rune

Obviously I'm too busy making smart remarks in the Forum to have time to make my own scenario's.

My apologies for suggesting my pet peeve/opinion is somehow a "flaw". I was way out of line.

Please encourage the young man to keep at it, as I think Approach to S.. is one of the better scen's on the disc.

Hope you got my e-mail. Did you guess which Tater Person I am?

Best Regards,

Ken

Rune

Thanks for your e-mail.

Sorry to hear about your fingers, (I guess that's two less you could stick up my nose).

It's easy for "Spec" Taters, "Comment" Taters and "Dick" Taters like myself, (who aren't even smart enough to figure out how to get a briefing into a scenario), to sit back and make smart remarks without ever contributing anything to the community, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I will be more than happy to play-test or provide feed-back/constructive criticism on any scenario's you have in mind.

Best Regards,

(King of the "Tater" People) Ken

For those wondering what Ken is talking about...

I broke two fingers refereeing a soccer game Saturday. Picture a soccer game, a wall, a referee trying to get out of the way in a hurry, and I leave the rest up to you.

I email Ken and apologized for being snippy, i should not have posted when i first got home from the hospital for xrays...and asked him to test a new scenario once 1.03 comes out. My way of making up for the "test his scenario" comment.

The one I will be sending is called Thunder on the Dneister, featuring the Romanian attack on the Stalin Line in 1941. Balance is always a difficult thing in attacking a defensive line, so look forward to the feedback.

Rune

• 3 weeks later...

The interesting thing about Approach to Sevastopol is that it is such a long narrow map, kind of like an obstacle course. The issues it raises (for the attacker) are-

How much ammo should I expend when resistance is tough but I'm not even halfway to the end of the map?

How much should I sacrifice my units to try to gain speed when there's so far to go?

The momentum of an attack through such a depth of territory is interesting to note -how my attack seems to get stalled at times, and then there are sudden breakthroughs just when I think I'm totally stuck. Seems pretty true to history there.

I'm now halfway through playing it and am finding it very fun and challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

App to Sev is a class scenario. the little <?> surprises constantly throw you off-balance a lot forcing you to overthink an advance or approach when, more than likely, the next step would be quite easy. i managed a tactical victory but was amazed i got that! it is quite challenging and i figure, the way a panzer division moved operationally at that time - ie, a narrow column preceded by forward m/cs and arm'd cars, ideally with stukas and ground attack aircrft, to recon the advance, find a route thru enemy lines then perform the breakthru and destruction of command and supply and demoralisation of the enemy army - is recreated well.

i haven't replayed this one tho as i kinda know what to expect.

[and i was lucky at the beginning as i'd rushed the 251's forward then noticed the enormous pounding the terrain was taking just moments after the last 251 had got clear, taking a 'shaken' status but surviving... that could've taken out a whole platoon with 251s included! phew!]

but i don't have a problem with that. WW2 is full of tales of troops of either side forming for an assault and being hit by a random/accurate arty stonk.

thanks

das