How to create a good russian cities feeling?

Hello,

Since I've never been to russia or ukraine I would like to know how to modelize a russian town for a CMBB scenario.

So, I've some questions:

1/ Graveyard: are there always near churchs or more often outside towns?

2/ Do the churchs keep their religious name (by instance: St Cyril) or are they always renamed or even destroyed by the communists?

3/ Is there a particular name for the City Hall?

4/ Is it possible to have a "Kolkose market" inside a town?

Thnx in advance

well i spend som time there, and i would insist(?), that every housing, garden, market, has it`s own wall/fence around, so to make it a little "tower" in the giant sea of disinterest. No, graveyards mustn`t be next to a church, some are quite "central" situated in the open russian country.with a road connect` to each village. But you should search the web for russian-travel pages, with links to "museen(?)", e.g., get pics of the place. and also remind, alot of "cultural" grown stuff was destroyed while the war lasted through the years, which wasn`t rebuild by the commi-sys.. :(

Here is my take on a Russian city- based upon travel that I did to Moscow and St. Petersburg during February/March, 2003. Note: these opinions are based upon the two largest cities, downtown experiences, and in the 21st century (not the 1940s).

I saw graveyards both standing independently and also near churches and monastaries. I think you have some free options there.

The Communists did allow the churches that stood to keep their original names- they were not re-named. However, for a church to survive it had to meet certain historical/cultural significance standards. So, while St. Basil's survived (and just barely...), it did so because it was significant. Many other churches that were near Red Square, and associated with St. Basil, were torn down to make room for other buildings (including the ugly state hotel near Red Square).

I spent most of my time downtown, and I really don't remember seeing many fences. However, many of the churches definitely were surrounding by stone walls. Rather, roads were very common, and in the classic European pattern- going in various directions versus the typical grid pattern found in the United States.

I don't recall the official name for a city hall, and unfortunately, I am at work (trying to get in the critical 9-10 hours to keep upper management happy) so I cannot research it through my Russian books. I would imagine that it starts with "gost" something (Russian prefix associated with government).

Overall, my visual experience (albeit limited) is that Russian city layout is very similar to European city layout. Moscow definitely had a feel of a combination of oriental, European, Stalinist, and modern architecture (a weird fusion). St. Petersburg looked much like a European city of the 1600s in building style (apparently, city codes limit new building style in the downtown to keep the Peter the Great feel). In fact, I think the "large building" style in CMBB is primarily based upon St. Petersburg building style. I really felt like I was walking through a CMBB map....