CMBB FAQ -- The REAL DEAL

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RobVarak:

29.) Do we get the full movie play-back?

------------------------------------------------

Bah, that Bald megalomaniac didn't answer the BIG ONE! Figures smile.gif Why do I suspect this may remain unknown until the release?<hr></blockquote>

another GOOD question

oh well I guess we have to wait and see

-tom w

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,Panzer Leader, for you great effort! I'm glad you have such a good relationship with Madd Matt. Your questions were great, covering just about every aspect of the game I had hoped would be covered at some point. Man, I can't wait til that big bugger comes out!

Wait, that sounded kinda gross.

Kiltie (Sarentmajor on Rugged Defense-come out and fight!)

Was talking with havermeyer speculating about how they're going to implement "build your own factory". It would make sense to me that the new factory tiles will be like heavy building tiles with the movement associated with rubble tiles. In CMBO, you can't move directly from heavy building to heavy building, but you can move directly from rubble tile to rubble tile, so the logic won't have to change if the rubble tile logic is copied. The change over the current rubble tile will be that factory tiles will be one or two (or 3 even?) story structures. And like heavy buildings now, there could be multiple bitmaps for each factory tile showing different levels of destruction perhaps.

Just a thought but most exciting to think about.

Great work PL and thanks to Matt for answering. Love the part about wind speed and direction. Fionn told me last year that I was nuts for asking for it. In the context of CMBO, I guess he was right.

Boy, I can't wait!! When's this puppy ready?

PanzerLeader, did you happen to ask if we'll be able to designate armor to fire only on hard targets? I would love to be able to designate "hard targets only" especially in ambush mode and armor coming up a road behind infantry.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kitty:

And it'll be out when? Sometime within the next two years? =\

Kitty<hr></blockquote>

Well, yes, SOMETIME within the next two years is, in all likelihood, TECHNICALLY correct.

BTW, what happened to your website? I can't seem to access.

Work in Progress:

Here are all the cryptic quotes I was able to glean from this board (mostly by Madmatt) about the upcoming game. They are in no particular order, and are mostly a stop-gap solution.

I must say that Madmatt has really become the spokesman of BTS lately, and has an almost incredible ability to speak aabout CMBB without actually saying anything! God, one more teaser and I think my brain will explode!

WHEN WILL THE GAME BE RELEASE?!?!?

We are currently projecting end of 1st Quarter 2002. This is later than we had expected, but the extended support of Combat Mission - Beyond Overlord greatly delayed the start of CMBB. We do not regret the time spent making CMBO that much better, but it did not come without a consequences.

Steve

As for the demo... we are not planning on releasing a demo until we are VERY near to release. We lost almost 1.5 months of CMBO development time when we released the Beta Demo because of all the support which was necessary for the obviously not finished game. This means that if we release the demo sooner the final product will definitely be delayed. On the whole, this is not desirable for anybody.

Steve

Rarity:

A Search will turn up not only the answers, but the reasoning behind them. The CC and sliding scale methods were both discussed as alternatives and we explained why we felt our system is better. In a nutshell...

You have three options:

1. No Rarity - same system as CMBO where each unit is priced according to general capabilities.

2. Fixed Rarity - base cost (as above) + penalty for how uncommon the vehicle was on the Eastern Front for that particular month. This means a long 75 Panzer IV might be quite pricey in 1942, but quite inexpensive 1944. Yes, it is possible for a unit to be priced BELOW its base cost if it is super common. However, the scale works so that discounts are small even if rarity is low, but penalties can be super high if the vehicle is very rare.

3. Variale Rarity - same as above, but there is random variation of prices. Meaning, a rare vehicle might be VERY expensive one game, only somewhat expensive in another. The more rare something is, the greater the possible discount or increase. However, you will NEVER see a situation where a very rare vehicle becomes anything but "pricey". In other words, no Jagdtigers prices at 100 points

That is basically it in a nutshell!! And yes, it applies to *all* units, from an AT Rifle to a super heavy tank to a particular infantry formation.

Steve

Vehicular Passengers:

Just letting you know we are currently looking at something a little more streamlined in this area. As soon as I see in action I will report back how it works!

Madmatt

Waypoint Pauses:

No pausing at waypoints is NOT going in, I said that SOME of what was brought up we were looking at implememting but that is not one of them.

In short, allowing pauses (and we debated back and forth for weeks on this) was decided to give TOO much control over the troops in an environment which is decidedly uncondusive to such co-ordination.

However, there are changes to the whole C&C and Delay system which will help greatly to address the concerns of needing such pauses.

Madmatt

Rifle Grenades:

In short, at the time that CMBO was made insuffecient data on the type, employment and effectiveness of German Rifle Grenades was attainable.

Since then we have gotten the needed data and they are now modeled in CMBB.

Madmatt

Changing User Created Scenarios:

Has the save filename been changed so it won't overwrite a work in progress?

It has been.

Madmatt

Expanding the list of "Medium troop quality" in Quick Battles:

Although I cant really comment on it now, I will be going over this feature thoroughly, hopefully in the near future here.

Madmatt

Artillery Delay shown in real-time:

Actually we took care of this as well. A very simple and elegant solution which I will disclose soon.

Madmatt

More Quickbattle Info:

And you would be WRONG! Actually there are probably more changes and additions to the QB module right now than anywhere else. so on you!

And yes you can now change the default ammo loadout ammounts per side based on a % from 10% to full ammo IRRC.

Madmatt

Variable Turn Ending:

It is a selectable option called Variable End and what it does is randomly EXTEND the battle, it will not end the game earlier than what you selected as the max turns.

The Variable End option is also smart enough to continue play if it detects enough flag contention. This continuation doesn't go on forever obviously, but it will give you a few extra turns while you fight for control of the flags.

Madmatt

Totally Tidbits:

Funny you should mention swaying vegitation actually...

Madmatt

(I think he's talking about sunflower fields, but who knows?)

hehehehehee...Why am I lauging?

Oh me, no reason...Lets just say we got this particular matter well in hand in CMBB..Well indeed..

(This is during a thread where various members clamored for not *knowing* a tank was knocked out automatically)

Madmatt

Madmatt recently posted a cryptic message where he stated that aircraft representation will be significantly improved...

Panzer Leader

MAY be, I said MAY be....

Madmatt

(tantalizing, no?)

One more, this one from Steve:

CMBO was not flexible enough with defensive options or implementation. CMBB has gone a long way towards fixing that. Individual units have the option to be dug in or not. Trenches can be purchased, along with a wider/improved range of defensive stuff.

I don't know if spotting enemy fortifications is done according to the experience of the guy's in the hole, but in theory this should be the case. Just not sure if this is possible to do this in CM or not.

Steve

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

Thanks PL for your effort. I think we just have too many questions and too much expectations from the game. smile.gif Keep your work up!<hr></blockquote>

GrffenCheng, I keep thinking that you have been captured by the main landers and sent to a collective farm, but you always slip back in every couple of months or so.

Thank you thank you thank you. Really though, it is Madmatt who is to thank. He is really going all the way in keeping us howling indians supplied with info. Plus this whole thing was his idea, and I am only thankful that he gave me the offer to to help.

However, to toot my own horn a bit (since my wife is already in bed -- whoah, never mind!) I am quite pleased with the questions I came up with. However, even there I must offer thanks for help.

Thank you:

Kevin T.(OGSF) who had some REAL zingers

Redwolf

Pawbroon (for his frenchiness)

Stephen H. (Mrspkr) Good questions there laddy

Chris H. (Wolfe) Whom I like to think of as my second

Ben G.

Griffincheng

Shandorf -- obviously his questions were aimed at finding the right "angle" except for one odd question about Charles

WInecape - a little worried, but I think his fears are now put to rest

Mike D. -- worried about us players, as usual

Joe Xia - nothing of importance.

Thanks all.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

GrffenCheng, I keep thinking that you have been captured by the main landers and sent to a collective farm, but you always slip back in every couple of months or so.<hr></blockquote>

ROFLMAO!

Okay, but I still find not valid explainations why you just cut off our last game! Wanna a friendly PBEM for some time?

Meanwhile, keep reading...

OT: Slappy,

In case you care, I am still playing CMBO. I spent less time on this Forum (while I am spending a little more time over the one in CG Online) and play more. I am recently addicted to photography so I read more than I post.

Griffin.

P.S. I suppose there is no collective farm now, at least in southern China.

Wind direction and speed?

Yeah! Probably WILL affect smoke, and conflagrations.

Also, maybe it'll affect artillery/mortar rounds? I have no idea. Can you imagine targetting that nasty HMG position with your on board mortar, but having to adjust the AREA TARGET 10m more to the LEFT due to the wind pushing your rounds off target? Heh heh. That would be kinda neat. Actually, I'd hope my little digital men would figure that out for themselves.

This is going to be the best game in the whole world. smile.gif

Gpig

Yes, I was very surprised to hear about wind being included. That is just amazing to think what all the things could be done utilizing wind. Spreading fire is one thing, spreading smoke is another AMAZING thing. It could affect accuracy of weapons (to some extent).

One thing that it tells me is that ol' BTS is implementing features that we never even considered, and stuff that has not even been mentioned. As far as I know, this is the first time wind has been brought up at all, and it's to tell us they've included it!

Wow!

Now as I understand this, covering arcs will replace the ambush command. Now this in fine for keeping them from firing to the left or right, but what about long range within the covering arc? Imagine you put a covering arc on a tight road intersection only 100 meters away from your at gun, and then he decides to fire on something 300 meters away, that was within the arc accidentally, but nowhere near the intersection you were trying to ambush. Does this mean we will have to use the hide command instead?

The 'firing arcs' have a range component to them also; it's like setting up a triangle, so you can limit the engagement range of the units. The flip side to this is that you will restrict the unit's 'attention span' to the area you've mapped out and this may make them a bit more susceptible to enemy units who may discover them and engage them outside of this 'covered arc'. The quality of troops will also be a factor with lesser quality ones engaging outside of the covered arc (bad fire discipline - unintentional engagements) more often.

• 2 weeks later...