CMBO Scenario Design Question

Glenn

I'm pretty new at this so I hope you'll excuse the rather basic question here. I CAN tell you though, I did RTFM before posting this :D .

I'm designing a scenario. I've got it all built in the Scenario Designer, my forces picked out for both sides, map built, etc. Now, what I WANT to do, is start one side all in trucks, with the other side set up defensively to guard a crossroads. The first side has no idea the second side is there, and they were on a routine transport mission to the front (this is based on a historical situation). I'm not sure how to "finalize" the scenario so that the units will be in the position I want them in to start (I know about the setup zones and whatnot, I'm mainly concerned with the infantry being positioned in the trucks to start with). Is this "do-able"? Is the scenario designer set up so that the designer would normally not do quite this much as a setup, but instead should let the AI perform the setup it would prefer at the beginning of the game (for the side that is being played by the AI)?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Glenn

OK, what I so valiantly tried to ask in my post (but failed despite the 10,000 words :D ) was how to I get the units I've selected to be in the battle actually on to the map for the setup phase? Each built-in or 3rd party scenario has all the units starting at a particular location in a particular situation (i.e. in a foxhole or on a tank). When I called up the scenario I made in the game, all the units were lined up along the back line of their respective zone in one long line. So, how do I actually position the units initially on the map so the player can take over at the Setup Phase and proceed from that point?

Thanks much again,

Glenn

You have to go to "Preview" on the map after selecting your forces and then you just select each squad, truck, tank, etc and use the 'P' or 'M' command to deploy them where you want to. You can ensure that the troops loaded in trucks have to begin in the trucks by 'Locking' the troops in the trucks. It is possible to 'lock' the troops as riders without 'locking' the truck itself.

Glenn,

Looks like kind of a "Baugnez Scenario" you're brewing.

I can only give you one advice: Don't put troops in trucks, when you wish that the AI moves them to the frontline. It just won't happen.

For one mysterious reason the AI seems to be aware that it's better not to move unarmored vehicles around in exposed terrain, even when the AI is supposed not to see the enemy yet. :rolleyes:

Suggest, you put your troops in conscript HT's and put a lot or little VF's along the path they should follow.

Other tips and tricks you can find on my web page, see link below.

AI is a fickled beast to say the least...

If you are designing this scenario as the player vs AI... The Attacker is Human then leaving in trucks is ok... But if you want it to work the opposite then leave them out of trucks... Now with that said players like to make a choice of using trucks or not... Just do not lock troops in trucks so attacking player has a choice...

Good Luck..

Hi Guys,

OK, thanks very much for the help here! The actual basic premise of the scenario was to have the Germans coming down the road in a column of trucks, only to get ambushed by the Canadians. The idea from my standpoint was to play the Canucks against the AI, but of course others may choose to do the opposite. From the sounds of it, this isn't very feasible, or at best, I can try what McAuliffe suggested. It's not a huge deal if I can't though, as this is more experimentation in how to do this while learning the pitfalls along the way. You folks have helped a whole bunch towards getting me through the latter here :cool: . Much appreciate that.

I'll check out your websites as suggested for further tips. If you don't mind, I may post back here with a Q or 2 more as they come up (and I'm sure there'll be a few :D ). Thanks once again for the help!

Glenn

I suggest that you also padlock your infantry and trucks, therefore making sure when the battle begins everything is set up as you intend. You can right-click on a unit and select the padlock menu option.

Another way to make sure the Canadians stick to their trucks is to have a tight time limit with a map exit objective, which is selectable from the parameters screen in the scenario editor.