DarkStorm, Tigers and Minsk

I have just completed Dark Storm which depicts an Operation Bagration battle in July 44 near Minsk. Tigers of the 505th and armor of the 5th Panzer Division battled a Russian Armored Corps for the prize of Minsk. The scenario focuses on control of one flank of the main action.

The scenario is ballpark balanced. I am starting a PBEM this weekend to complete balance testing. If any are interested in testing and providing feedback on this scenario within your own PBEM game, contact me at klltalley@msn.com.

The opening description is below:

Title: Dark Storm, Minsk, 44

Type: Axis Attack

Date: Midday, July 1944

Region: Central

Weather: Very Dry and warm

Terrain: hills, villages, fields, forests

Wind: Windy from SouthWest

Turns: 35 Fixed

Auther: "Jagger"

Background: During the spring and summer of 1944, the German Central armies were crumbling and falling back in disarray as the Russians launched a series of devastating attacks as part of Operation Bagration. Near Minsk, the 5th Panzer Division and the 505th Tiger Battalion prepared to defeat the advancing Russian hordes. In the hills and fields and forests near Minsk, the German armor launched itself in desperate battle with an advancing Russian Armored Corps for the prize of Minsk.

Semi-historical: Russians 4670 pts Germans 4587 pts

This scenario is specifically built for a two player game. The terrain and setup zones are designed to give two humans a maximum of interesting tactical choices for, hopefully, a very challenging and interesting game. The more experienced player should take the Russian side. However I believe the scenario is very closely matched.

This scenario doesn't work well against the AI due to the flag locations and type of battle.

[ February 20, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Ken Talley ]

BillyKay, the scenario is on its way!

Andreas, I would be interested. I got the idea for the scenario from Ospreys, "Bagration Operation" book. But I didn't buy the book because it was $21 for a thin little book. When I went back, it was gone. I remember the 15th Gds Mech Corp as one of the two Russian Corps. But I can't remember the name of the Gds Armored Corps. If you have it, I would appreciate it.

[ February 27, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Ken Talley ]

Flammenwerfer, the scenario is on its way.

I also downloaded your new scenario, "Dead Ground and Rye". I really liked the map and the German force. I am going to see if I can get a PBEM set up for the game. It looks good! Although I am wondering if 28 turns is enough time. I guess I will find out.

Thanks Andreas. Although the date doesn't sound right. I think it was the 25th. I checked around today and found a bookstore with the book. I am going to try to get over tomorrow and confirm the Russian units.

Andreas, you are right. The big battle was 1 and 2 July (Edited-fighting was 1-2July). And those are the correct units. The town in the battle area was Pleshchenitsky.

What is interesting is the 505th Schwere lost all of its Tiger I's in this battle. Later that month, it was rebuilt with the Tiger II. I may do a hypothetical variation on the scenario assuming the 505th had been reorganized prior to the battle with the Tiger II's. Might be interesting.

[ March 01, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Ken Talley ]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...