'Hull down' labels

Can I just check this out pse. I know where and when these labels are supposed to appear but I have NEVER seen one either for my AFVs (which is no doubt down to my lack of mastery of getting them HD) or the AIs (and I KNOW many of 'his' have been). I have 'labels' and 'detailed armour hits' enables (in case that affects it - does it?) but still no joy. I am running v1.12.

How many of you are seeing these indicators?

I hope it's not another bleedin' Voodoo thing!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 04-02-2001).]

When you target a AFV and you see the % to hit it will say hull down. I have a voodoo so it's not that.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Check out the Dogs of War CM Players Community

Guest Blackthorne

Correct. The hull down message comes when you target an opposing vehicle only.

------------------

Blackthorne

Originally posted by Blackthorne:

I'm playing a PBEM game right now. I've

got a Sherman behind a wall, and it's about

to shoot at a Panther that's cresting a hill.

The descriptions for both of the vehicles

say "hull down" and the one for my Sherman

says something about me not being able to

use my bow MG.

I've got another Sherman tank next to a

house, and it's hull down, for some reason

(I think because of the woods in front of

it?). Anyway, that Panther is targetting

this second Sherman, who took himself out

of hiding to hopefully shoot at this Panther

at the beginning of next turn.

The hit chances for my two tanks are 30%

and 47%, with a kill probability of "OK",

so we'll see who's faster on the trigger.

That Panther has a "slow turret", so if

he takes out Sherman #2, perhaps Sherman #1

will get another shot at him before he

can rotate back that direction.

View?u=1616492&a=12339630&p=45562887

Voodoo Rush 6mb 3D card.

Hope that JohnR dosnt see this. wink.gif

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

http://www.geocities.com/alla_keefek/

Home of my Interface/Splash screens for CMBO &

DFDR mod.

Originally posted by alla_keefek:

Hope that JohnR dosnt see this. wink.gif

What confuses me is that it is not often visually apparent to me which is hull down. In other words, in your picture is the Armored car being targeted hull down, or is your vehicle hull down? Also, quite ofte I get a little "bend" of the targeting line going over a hill crest but never the "hull down" prompt. In those case it looks hull down to me when I reverse the camer view.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

What confuses me is that it is not often visually apparent to me which is hull down. In other words, in your picture is the Armored car being targeted hull down, or is your vehicle hull down? Also, quite ofte I get a little "bend" of the targeting line going over a hill crest but never the "hull down" prompt. In those case it looks hull down to me when I reverse the camer view.

It's a schreck team thats got LOS. So all they can see is the turret. Hence the Hull Down. Also would not the rocket from the schreck be able to fly in an arch. ? smile.gif

I can't explain why you you are'nt getting the Hull Down label.

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a Tiger from 501st SS.

http://www.geocities.com/alla_keefek/

Home of my Interface/Splash screens for CMBO &

DFDR mod.

Originally posted by alla_keefek:

It's a schreck team thats got LOS. So all they can see is the turret. Hence the Hull Down. Also would not the rocket from the schreck be able to fly in an arch. ? smile.gif

So, the label is in respect to the vehicle being targeted in your example, not the unit/vehicle doing the targeting? Do I have that correct?

Does a prompt come up that shows if the tank doing the targetins is hull down? Because to me that's just as important to know, if not more so, than the other.

Could someone post a picture that shows it?

Yes, if either vehicle is hull down, it will show (label) that it is. Apparently the problem is that people are really not away of what hull down is and what it is in relevance to. Your tank maybe hull down to a target in front of it, but it may not be hull down to a target on its flank. It all depends on the the relationship between two vehicles and not just one. ie, It takes two vehicles (units) to determine hull down status.

This is why there is no "Hull Down" command.

Originally posted by Maximus:

Yes, if either vehicle is hull down, it will show (label) that it is.

How do you know which one is hull down then? So if there is no hull down shown, then the entire vehicle hull can be hit? It's an absolute, not relative to how much is exposed?

Another question I still have though OT to this thread though related is this; is target size impacted at all by degrees of exposure or is it all or nothing? Say I am in a position slightly behind a hut. From the Camera view, and at zero magnification, it a "appears" that a little corner of the tank sticks out. Is the entire tank treated as visible or able to be hit, or just whatever portion is visible from the shooter?

Frankly I think there needs to be some sort of "go hull down relative to this point/target" type command. Either that or some better/cleaner aid to the user in achieving the desired position.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

How do you know which one is hull down then?

If your vehicle is hull down to the AFV that it's targetting, you'll see "Hull down" next to your vehicle. If the enemy AFV is hull down to your vehicle, you'll see "Hull down" next to the enemy AFV. Simple biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Blackthorne:

Actually, I think you can get it while targeting infantry also now (added in a patch). This was done so you would know if your hull MG could fire or not.

Dirtweasle:

Another question I still have though OT to this thread though related is this; is target size impacted at all by degrees of exposure or is it all or nothing?

It's all or nothing.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve