Problem with air power in ops!

Some designers may already know but there seems to be a variety of problems with air power in ops.

1. Even if the weather is set to good, it may be overcast and your air won't show up.

2. If your air is a divisional/regimental reinforcment, it may arrive at night (and therefore never appear).

Does BTS have a definitive answer on these being problems (or not)?

It's disappointing that you can "set" the weather for each battle in an op rather than have it be semi-random. Makes balance almost impossible to achieve.

Originally posted by xerxes:

It's disappointing that you can "set" the weather for each battle in an op rather than have it be semi-random. Makes balance almost impossible to achieve.

Agreed, and also will point out that if one is doing a "historical" operation, it would be nice to be able to set the weather as well.

Perhaps even the ability to assign percentage points to the various weather patterns - sometimes you don't mind random, but only want, say, rain or clear, no fog or snow.

Other times, an historical op started in fog that lifted. Would be nice to set the first battle in the op to fog, then have the others be clear.

Etc.

I think there definitly needs to be a historic weather option to allow the designer to lock the weather to whatever conditions were present in the actual fight. Changing weather can make some good twists in a battle but it would be nice to know that you will face the same conditions that the real commanders did.

I made a Bulge operation for CMBO and ended up with the ground freezing in the second battle which allowed the German armor to flood through cross country. Neat but kind of frustrating when you are trying to recreate an actual situation.

I would have loved to see more control over the weather to do historical. As for airpower showing at night due to reinforcement type, simple answer is always lock it in. The way airpower is handled in CMBB it really should not be that cruical to a given battle anyhow. It can be devastating. It can be nearly non-existant. Or it can drop a 1000kg bomb on your own tank platoon. In any case, it is too much of an X factor at times.

WWB

Which is why from an op design perspective you shouldn't have air as a battalion, regimental or divisional reserve because you don't know when they'll arrive.

And I agree air is a rather random factor, but I really like to have air in an op when it's historical. Might make the op less fun though. I'm a little uncertain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

We're running CMBB Operation To The Volga so the German side has At Start air support in their OoB. The first battle was Rain, so of course the Luftwaffe did not put in an appearance. In the second battle, it now is clear, but after 13 turns we have had no sign of the German air support. Did the first battle's weather knock it right out of the operation? 

Edited by Brent Pollock (WBRP)
CMBB clarification

22 hours ago, Brent Pollock (WBRP) said:

We're running CMBB Operation To The Volga so the German side has At Start air support in their OoB. The first battle was Rain, so of course the Luftwaffe did not put in an appearance. In the second battle, it now is clear, but after 13 turns we have had no sign of the German air support. Did the first battle's weather knock it right out of the operation? 

At Start air support is only present for the first battle.
If it was raining, tough luck. :(