CMBB Project Status

Hello all!

Sorry for not giving you more regular updates about how CMBB is going, but I guess we have had our noses a little too close to the grindstone smile.gif

Combat Mission - Barbarossa to Berlin is progressing VERY nicely. We are about 95% done with game feature implementations, which includes the optional Rarity system, Vehicle Morale, to revamp of movement orders/behaviors, implementation of Covered Arcs (fire lanes), significant changes to artillery modeling, improved PBEM features (such as a display of options chosen), new terrain types, new weather conditions, trenches and other new fortifications, new squad AT behavior, the ability to "Randomize" practically all Quick Battle settings, optional pre-game force reduction levels (to simulate depleted units prior to battle), optional ammo reduction levels, new interface, separation of the theater into "Regions" (so you don't have Italians fighting in Finish terrain, etc), and probably a couple dozen things I can't think of off the top of my head smile.gif Some tweaking still needed here and there, but basically things are done and have been hammered by testers quite a bit.

Historical data is also coming along really well. All the German, Soviet, and Romanian TO&E is in the game. Boy, what a headache that was :D Italian TO&E is about 50% in, Finnish is done on paper but not in yet. We are still assembling materials to construct the full Hungarian TO&E. Should get a pile of books in the next week or two to help the latter.

Almost all technical data for vehicles, guns, small arms, etc. have been coded up.

All of the 3D vehicle models have been created, but few are in the game yet. Let me tell you, that is going to be a fun month of my time smile.gif

Artwork is also coming along VERY well. Almost totally done with completely new terrain textures for the various different types of weather conditions. Vehicle and uniform artwork has only been scratched, but we have all the materials necessary to make the textures.

Er... uhm... and lots of other stuff. Not trying to tell you EVERYTHING about where we are at, just enough so you can get a sense of how far we have come.

Now, for the obvious question...

WHEN WILL THE GAME BE RELEASE?!?!?

We are currently projecting end of 1st Quarter 2002. This is later than we had expected, but the extended support of Combat Mission - Beyond Overlord greatly delayed the start of CMBB. We do not regret the time spent making CMBO that much better, but it did not come without a consequences.

As with CMBO, we will not release CMBB until it is ready, which is why we do not have a firm ship date. This can be frustrating for some, but if every software developer behaved this way there would be a LOT more great games to choose from out there. Software development, especially game development, is an art and not a science.

As for the demo... we are not planning on releasing a demo until we are VERY near to release. We lost almost 1.5 months of CMBO development time when we released the Beta Demo because of all the support which was necessary for the obviously not finished game. This means that if we release the demo sooner the final product will definitely be delayed. On the whole, this is not desirable for anybody.

What comes next? Well, we are going to release a batch of screenshots showing off the new terrain graphics sometime this month. We are sure you will be impressed smile.gif

Well, that is about all for now! Please understand that you guys are just going to have to take this information "as is". The number of questions you guys could come up with based on this one post could keep one of us posting answers for the next two weeks ;) All good things will be known in time, all good things will come to those who wait smile.gif We'll post details on some of the new features in the weeks and months to come, but for now we need to get our noses back to the grindstone!

Thanks for all your support now and in the future,

Steve

Charles

Dan

Matt

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]</p>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JPS:

Oh, now I have to figure out something else for the Xmas wish list ... ;) <hr></blockquote>

JPS:

You've got it all wrong. Just delay Christmas, CMBB will be worth the wait! Anyway, rumor has it Santa's one of the secret Beta testers for the Reds. :D

Steve & Compatriots,

Take as long as you need and want to finish CM2. If it comes out in Q2 or Q3 2002, so what. I had waited for nearly 40 years for CM (although 40 years ago, obviously, I did not know that what I was waiting for was CM)!!

Don't get heartattack from customers complaining. Get plenty of sleep. Earn your living & make plenty of bucks. You deserve it. Get CM2 out when it is ready. I'll wait. I got patience. tongue.giftongue.gif

Cheers, Richard :D:D

Steve,

Thanks for letting us know what is up. I know you have all been working very hard, but I still feel like a child that has been told he has to wait an extra three months till Christmas. At times like this I have to repeat to myself that “I am a mature, middle-aged man”; not when it comes to CM!

I have no real idea what it is about CM that so absorbs me, all I can say is that it hits exactly the same spot as Squad Leader did twenty years ago, but, of course, is far better. Added to that, and this is very important to me, it sets new standards in historical and tactical realism.

For me, CM is the ultimate tactical simulation. With today’s technology I cannot see how it could be done better. But I have reasons for knowing that you guys at BTS have thought of somehow doing it better. What I am referring to is the way you have described the workings of human wave attacks and assaults. Less experienced Soviet infantry will have the option of human wave attacks, in more experienced troops this becomes an option to use assault. This perfectly models the way the Soviets changed and is also an extremely elegant way of dealing with human wave and assault. Cannot wait to see what you have come up with for artillery!

Still cannot believe how lucky I have been in a team of the quality of BTS deciding to develop my “dream game”.

Greatly looking forward to all future versions of CM,

All the best,

Kip.

I wonder how much of the CMBO revenues had to go toward building a library wing for Steve's house?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Oh, now I have to figure out something else for the Xmas wish list<hr></blockquote>

These are items I've not listed anywhere else, so feel free to coordinate amongst yourselves to decide who gets me what:

*new video card

*PC speaker set (Klipsch)

*photos/paintings suitable for wall hanging (I'm moving soon to a place with a LOT more wall area)

*money toward the downpayment on my new car

*the LEGO AT-AT construction kit.

Thanks in advance!

:D

DjB

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Doug Beman ]</p>

Ah, good news!

Finnish TO&E only on paper, eh? Come to think of it, isn't Father Christmas Finnish, too? I scent a conspiracy of gargantuan proportions centered on Helsinki - I refuse to believe anything until I have the CD in me grubby hands.

Yeknod