Stalingrad Pack - Into the Void

I've played this a couple of times and I must admit I think it is an excellent scenario. Only problem is I haven't fared too well the first couple of time I tried it (as Axis) :( I've had a few attempts and am improving, in real life with only one shot at it, I'd have been stuffed.

Anyone played it and achieved a good/outstanding result (and I don't mean playing as Axis and getting wiped out) :D

Don't feel bad, I consider myself a fair player who wins against the Axis most times "out the gate". That is how I want to win, for it mimics best the uncertainty the real commanders faced. It just isn't the same to go back and play again when you KNOW where the AT guns are, where the T-34s show up, etc.

However, Into the Void left me feeling very frustrated... yes, I too got my clock cleaned the first time out. It's a tough one.

I have been trying to muster up the motivation to go back and play again, since it is an interesting tactical situation.

+++++++++++ SPOILERS +++++++++++++++++

My battle plan first time out was to have a small fixing force of the toughest PzIII and a few short-barrel PzIV at the ridgeline, while the rest of my force hooked around the east flank and tried to get a solid force behind the Hill. Well, you can imagine what happened when my troops on the flank hit the T-34s.

The PzIIs and III short had to stop and run for cover while the PzIVF2s were brought forwards. Time was the great enemy - I eventually nailed all the T-34s and had much of my force left, but was out of time. Tried to push the fixing force forward to collapse the defense and get some VP, but the sheer density of enemy AT guns made that a bloodbath.

In the end, stymied from the front, stymied along the flank... and those hidden 76s at the exit gate didn't help matters. Just a tough, tough nut to crack as the Axis the first time out.

Spoilers:

~

~

~

~~

~

~

~

~

~

I had a similar experience. I've tried using all the tanks off the ridge to KO the ATs opposite and then roll the IIs and 50% of the IIIs direct ahead while some infantry take out the ATs in the small hamlet in the East. Trouble with that plan - time. Too much gets snagged up taking the hill directly in front and unless the Stukas KO the guns in the woods by the hamlet (rare) that gets problematic too. On one attempt I even tried emptying the whole load of 81mm mortar on the woods to KO the guns - result - zip. ATs still working fine. They must be darn good shots too!! They took out 4 HTs travelling at in Fast mode, hitting them on the run (believeable?).

I'm now trying to push everything to the East. First time I emptied the 81mm on the woods to the West of the hill (which seemed to KO the guns) and used the IVs and a couple of IIIs on the ridge to cover, just in case (still wasted all the 81mm mind). I then pushed the remainder up to the hamlet, quickly KOing the AT there. Not quick enough mind, already at turn 25! :mad:

Now plan to use tanks to cover the ridge (2 IVs and 2 III), push the rest to the hamlet and overrun it, then push to the scattered trees to the front/East of the bridge, attempt to get through without bogging, take out the T34s from the flank and then use the arty (all of it if needed, on the AT to the west of the bridge. Then, if any time left, envelope back and take the hill, hopefully knocking out the infantry.

We'll see!!!