A Bone Is Thrown!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, this all sounds excellent!

Well, almost all. There was one sentence that thru up a little red flag in my head:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>We have changed and updated the movement delay system so that delays are based much more on how complex a series of orders will be to carry out.<hr></blockquote>

This worries me. Having a built-in disincentive to issuing complex orders would be a PITA. For example, like most people, when I am plotting orders for tanks to move around corners, instead of plotting a move to the corner and a second move in the other direction, I use 3 or 4 move points close together so the tank does not stop and rotate to the new direction of movement, but keeps moving in a tight curve (can be crucial if the tank is in LOS of enemy guns).

When moving around impassable terrain it is often necessary to plot a lot of different move points. This simulates decisions that would be made "on the fly" by the tank driver or squad leader, and therefore makes little sense to penalize the player for using.

Of course, I'm basing all this on one sentence, and it may well not work like this at all, but that's all we have to go on at the moment.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Damn, this all sounds excellent!

Well, almost all. There was one sentence that thru up a little red flag in my head:

This worries me. Having a built-in disincentive to issuing complex orders would be a PITA. For example, like most people, when I am plotting orders for tanks to move around corners, instead of plotting a move to the corner and a second move in the other direction, I use 3 or 4 move points close together so the tank does not stop and rotate to the new direction of movement, but keeps moving in a tight curve (can be crucial if the tank is in LOS of enemy guns).

When moving around impassive terrain it is often necessary to plot a lot of different move points. This simulates decisions that would be made "on the fly" by the tank driver or squad leader, and therefore makes little sense to penalize the player for using.

Of course, I'm basing all this on one sentence, and it may well not work like this at all, but that's all we have to go on at the moment.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]<hr></blockquote>

All your concerns were taken into consideration. You be pleased with the results I think.

Madmatt

doodads and cemetaries? ... doodads in cemetaries?....hhmmmm I WANT ZOMBIES lots and lots of zombies popping up from the graves as the Stugs smash the cravestones .... clawing at the Nazis as they trample over sacred ground.... give us zombies

er, er, uh, oh the excitement.... sorry

Yeknod

Suitably admonished over my dig about where the "bone" was thrown, I have a question about the wheatfield doodads.

I seem to recall having read ages ago (and obviously pre doodads) that the problem with 3D wheatfields was that prone squads and teams would become invisible.

How is this being handled now, in what appears to be a brilliant new feature?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by James Crowley:

Suitably admonished over my dig about where the "bone" was thrown, I have a question about the wheatfield doodads.

I seem to recall having read ages ago (and obviously pre doodads) that the problem with 3D wheatfields was that prone squads and teams would become invisible.

How is this being handled now, in what appears to be a brilliant new feature?<hr></blockquote>

The entire wheat field is not covered with doodads. There are enough *gaps* between the new textures for them to fit in. However, if the camera is low enough, well see for yourselves.

!!!ALL TEXTURES DISPLAYED ARE STILL NOT FINALIZED!!!!

wheat.jpg

Madmatt

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord Dragon:

MadMatt seems to be in the spirit of the holidays! Let's see what other screen shot goodies we can hit him up for!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

:D <hr></blockquote>

Format the name properly and who knows what goodies I may send your way tonight!

Madmatt

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wadepm:

OK, lets try it again...

Madmatt seems to be in the spirit of the holidays! Let's see what other screen shot goodies we can hit him up for!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!<hr></blockquote>

Okay...Have a look here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=022769

Madmatt

I thought this was a normal, run-of-the-mill work day until I got back to the office and fired up the board. This thread has been a blast reading, thanks for the goodies, BTS.

In the interest of keeping things going, hmm, I wonder what a blizzard looks like? Or an ice-bound Opel or PzIII.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Spanish Bombs ]</p>

Now that makes me wonder what it would be like when the "Hamster" mod is applied.... smile.gif

Originally posted by Madmatt:

[QB]The entire wheat field is not covered with doodads. There are enough *gaps* between the new textures for them to fit in. However, if the camera is low enough, well see for yourselves.

!!!ALL TEXTURES DISPLAYED ARE STILL NOT FINALIZED!!!!

wheat.jpg

I suspect some scenario designer are going to re-make a Soviet version of "Wittman at Villas Bocage" based on the excellent changes in CMBB. (But there won't any bocage terrian in CMBB, right?)

Griffin.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Madmatt:

No, too many core changes. However, we have always said that in the future we will re-approach the Western Front and by then all the changes going into CMBB will seem like child play compared to what we will be able to do then!

Madmatt<hr></blockquote>