Kursk- The Northern shoulder

My thanks and congrats to all those who designed the "Stalingrad pack". I have played through most of the Operations.

Wondering if anyone is working on a similar "Pack" on Kursk. I would love to see a group of Operations around the Northern German Pincer commanded by Field Marshal Walther Model. Perhaps it could be built around "GrossDeutshland", Tiger Battalion 505 and "Jagdpanzer Regiment 656 (Ferdinand tank destroyers). Other units on the Northern Shoulder was the XLI Panzercorps, XLVII Panzercorps and the XLI Panzercorps, containing the 86th, 258th, 31st, 78th, 216th and 292nd Infantry divisions and the 18th, 2nd, 9th, 4th, 12th, and 20th Panzer division. So much emphasis is placed on the SS PanzerGrenadier divisions at Prokorovka that the Northern Kursk shoulder is mostly ignored by game designers. Of course, the Southern attack made much better progress than in the North.

Still, it would be interesting and fun to replay the Northern German effort and see if GrossDeutschland might make better progress this time.

Regards,

sdkfz171

You are right. My mistake. Had to consult Robin Cross's book "Citadel". Been a while since I've read it. GrossDeutschland was part of Hoth's 4th Panzer Army and deployed north of II SS Panzercorp on the southern shoulder of the Kursk Salient. They had an attached Tiger company and also had Von Lauchert's Panther battalion as part of their order of battle.

Still, it would be great for the Stalingrad pack team to take up the mission of creating a "Kursk Pack".

Regards,

sdkfz171

I guess I will let you all in on it, a member of our team has a source, no names :D , who has detailed maps and other info to do with the battle of Kursk, and so we will be working on a number of battles, and or operations relating to the battles in that area. I'll have more info as things progress.

[ January 07, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by sdkfz171:

Other units on the Northern Shoulder was the XLI Panzercorps, XLVII Panzercorps and the XLI Panzercorps, containing the 86th, 258th, 31st, 78th, 216th and 292nd Infantry divisions and the 18th, 2nd, 9th, 4th, 12th, and 20th Panzer division.

Quick FYI - 12.PD never made it to the battle, they were suddenly needed to stop the Soviet spoiling attack at Orel. Not sure how many other of the units never did attack at Kursk.