Barbarossa Op1...normal ending?

I finished my first operation, the first one chronogicaly : 5 battles to play, I choosed the germans.

The Op stopped at the end of the 3rd battle : (not too difficult to crush the russians ; 3 vehicles lost, and 15 for the ennemy - among them one KV-2!-, and I can't count their infantry lost and prisoners..) but the result was "only" a "Tactical Success"...Is that normal? If I could reach as fast the end of the map (and without many casualties), the result shouldn't it be superior?

What's more, 2 Stukas should have made an apparition on the 3rd battle : I didn't se anything...is there a wav file for planes to symbolize them ?

Well, I played that as the Soviets.

I defended for two battles and then counter-attacked. By the end of the 4th battle I'd pushed the Germans back into the last 60 metres of the map. Battle 5 (the night one) was a bit of a massacre for my guys.

Ended up with a 4:1 casualty ratio for infantry and 40some German vehicles destroyed at the cost of 8 Soviet vehicles ( 4 x BA-10s, 2 x BT7s and 2 KVs ( both taken out by airplanes) and 4 Soviet guns.

I was "surprised" that battle 5 happened since it was plainly a hopeless situation for the Germans at that stage ( I'd reduced their on-map force to a very weak company with no armour support by the end of Battle 4). I won a major through doing that so the victory conditions certainly seem fine from the Soviet point of view.

As to why you only won a tactical. perhaps you lost a lot of infantry?

What's more, 2 Stukas should have made an apparition on the 3rd battle : I didn't se anything...is there a wav file for planes to symbolize them ?

Yes, when aircraft appear you can hear them, and they cast a 'shadow' on the ground when they pass over the battlefield.

In operations, weather is random I think. When I played this scenario the weather on day 3 was overcast. And aircraft will only appear if the weather is clear. Too bad, because there were three KV-2s (?) lined up shoulder to shoulder. It was the perfect Stuka target.

In the event I was unable to make progress with those monsters sitting where they were, though I did manage to get two of them in battle 5 at night by assaulting them with Pioneers and flamethrowers.

FreeFrench and Landser,

I had a similar experience, although my campaign went to battle 4 because I couldn't get past the KV-2s during battle 3. But battle 4 was a joke, since I had crushed the Soviets otherwise, the startline was something like 50m from the operation map edge. I ended with a Tactical Victory.

Have to agree with Landser about the Stukas - I also had overcast on day 3, and without the Stukas, I couldn't find a way to take out those KV-2s. I can see why they were "Iron Roadblocks" - that is exactly how they worked on my advance when I lacked air support or 88s.

So, air support is great when you have it, but very very fickle due to the weather variability. Seeing how pitiful the German weaponary is (outside the 88/Stuka) gives you a sense for what the German Panzertruppen were facing that summer of 1941.

CJ

Yes ! I remember that the weather was rainy almost everytime...so I understand for the Ju-87's...The first KV-2 was easy to take : just in front of my line (at 100m of it)...taken from everywhere, the Blue team bailed out...and was killed on foot. The two others at rearline were shot by every tank forced to do it, all Pz38-t also when I made a charge in the "last" 2 turns to overwhelm them : They moved backwards, din't shoot at my tanks..