Just when I thought I was kickin butt in the "Hornets Nest"

tracer

I know that Harv and Makjaeger both got Total Victories as Germans in this scenario. For Mak, it was his determination that he would play it over and over until he got good enough at shoot n scoot to get the Total. I think he played it 4 or 5 times.

The best I was able to do was a Major Victory.

jw

• 4 weeks later...

I was a bit irked by this one last night. Playing the Russians, I was moving along at a nice clip. Brought my mechanized infantry up to the german stronghold by turn 20 (1/3+ of my troops were knocked off their wagons in the beginning by the Nashorns - they were going by foot). Meanwhile, my armor went up the right edge of the map toward the nashorns, taking out all that were visible. The T34's were split up about halfway, as I noticed the German infantry were trying to take the VL's in the center of the map (what were they thinking?).

After crossing the lateral side of the map, 3 t34's went to the edge of the woods to support the infantry. Meanwhile, 3-4 additional nashorns were hiding at the far side of the map, behind the hill. They took out 2 of the platoon that I had sent, and the other two ended up with gun damage. So by turn 32 I brought the remaining T34's over to get the Nashorns.

All German guns destroyed. All VL's except one in the woods were taken. Only about 3 platoons of troops left on the German side, and I was awarded a draw. I thought it would have been at least a tactical victory.

mumbles to himself."Must try this as a Russki".

Aye..when i get the time i will give it a shot.

As Jeff said.it was with GRIM DETERMINATION ..i in fact played it about 15 times or there abouts to get a Total Victory..and it was bloody hard too. I even ended up doing 88mm test firings ( near 5000 rds fired ) because i was getting the impression that the Nashorn was not accurate at all. Tests proved me wrong.

As for Shoot and Scoot....i tried that numerous times along the ride line and got shot to hell and back. In the end i resorted to a "gamey" tactic or two.....i attacked smile.gif and used the terrain to my best advantage.

Regards

Måkjager

[ December 24, 2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Måkjager ]

First play...result Major Victory for my Reds :D

77 -23 split...it would have been more only i lost some T-34s ( 3 tanks ) towards the end.

Men ok Allied = 416

Men ok Axis = 3

Total casualties

Allied 32

Axis 196

KIA

Allied 7

Axis 40

Captured

Allied 0

Axis 52

Destroyed

Allies lost 11 vehicles

Axis lost 2 mortars , 1 Pillbox , 2 guns and 6 Nashorn.

All victory locations taken. I think i olny used about a Plt of Infantry as this was a Armoured Juggernaut smashing into the Axis line.

I was able to make the Axis ridgeline by about turn 10 or there abouts. Once i had gotten the 1st Nashorn Plt i set about the Infantry and then went looking for the other reinforcing Nashorn.

Found this side ( Allied) to be easier to play. I will try again after me Christmas dinner ;)

best regards

Måkjager.

ps..the AAR file is saved if anybody wants to have a looksee.

Just finished my second helping of Hornets Nest as the Reds. Tracer...it is possible to win a Total Victory as i have just found out :D

Men ok

Axis 5

Allied 417

Total Casualties

Axis 191

Allied 31

KIA

Axis 54

Allied 9

Captured

Axis 55

Allied 0