.50 cal penetrating power

Okay, I was on the verge of sending the file to Madmatt, but thought I would ask here first.

I am in a PBEM (Dirtworker don't read this!) and a Sherman was blazing away at the side of a Marder II with his .50 at the same time a PIAT bomb was launched. I kid you not, the Marder blew up (side hull penetrated) at the instant the PIAT bomb arrived. The Sherman's cannon was pointed the other way.

The Sherman was credited with the kill.

Does this sound likely or should I report it as a bug? Can a .50 penetrate the side armour of a Marder.

It occurs to me as I type this that I can just do a test in the scenario editor - off I go - but has anyone else seen simultaneous kills miscredited?

actually, the side armor of a hetzer is swiss cheese at close range for a .50 cal. (the armor penetration of the .50 is better than the side armor)

i noticed once a hetzer immobilized within range of my .50. i smiled. i targeted the het. the crew ran after ~40 sec. considering all the lead no doubt bouncing around inside i was impressed.

the same level i killed 2 nashorns with .50 cals.

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Here's a penetration chart of a .50 cal against an SPW 251/1

http://www.bigtimesoftware.com/images/mgvsht.jpg

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Here's a penetration chart of a .50 cal against an SPW 251/1

http://www.bigtimesoftware.com/images/mgvsht.jpg

That is very helpful. I am in a PBEM and have a .50 with a good field of fire with a 251 sitting in the middle at about 400yds. I'll have the .50 open up on him, and according to this chart if it hits it ought to penetrate. - OR - Am I reading it wrong?

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

That is very helpful. I am in a PBEM and have a .50 with a good field of fire with a 251 sitting in the middle at about 400yds. I'll have the .50 open up on him, and according to this chart if it hits it ought to penetrate. - OR - Am I reading it wrong?

Would probably depend on if your hitting it in the front or the side.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

As it happens, I had a .50 caliber take out a Marder at 500 meters just today. Lucky, but it saved my bacon in that particular battle. Almost makes up for the numerous times German SP's have routed my .50s before they even get a shot off...

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

-Bertrand Russell