Soviet Field Manuals

Guest Pillar

I'm interested in some recent or 1960-70's Soviet Field manuals.

Something along the lines of the US 7-8 would be a great read.

Anyone know where I could get my hands on one? Thanks!

Try the Government Printing Office or Department of the Army printing office they will send you a copy of these items for a nominal fee.

So manuals will have the original Russian on the left and English translation on the right.

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Originally posted by Mike Robel:

The US Army doesn't have any public release manuals on other Armies anymore. However, you can access some of the Fm 100-60 series on OPFOR at the ATDL site. http://www.adtdl.army.mil/atdls.htm

You can access a variety of manuals approved for public distribution.

Is there anything beyond FM-100-61? FM-100-2-1 has been retired, unfortunately FM-100-62 is not ready yet and 100-61 covers only operational aspects, at the level of Corps and above, which is a bit abstract for my taste.

The following OPFOR manuals are in the library folder on the TacOps v3 CD. They are also on the Military Reference Library CDROM available from Battlefront.com.

FM 100-60, Armor And Mechanized Based Opposing Force Organization Guide

FM 100-61, Armor and Mechanized Based Opposing Force Operational Art

FM 100-63, Infantry-Based Opposing Force Organization Guide

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

• 2 weeks later...

You may be able to order the Marine Corps Institute course on the Soviet Military Threat. I assume it is still used since the Russian and Ukrainian militaries follow essentially the same unit set up and doctrine.

If I can dig out my old MCI's I would be glad to send it to you.

Also check with an active duty unit. S-2 (Intelligence Sections) don't mind passing on the ISBN #s or the GPO numbers which would make your search for Pubs easier. (I hope)

------------------

M. L. Johnson

TAOC DAWG

Originally posted by minmax:

You may be able to order the Marine Corps Institute course on the Soviet Military Threat. I assume it is still used since the Russian and Ukrainian militaries follow essentially the same unit set up and doctrine.

If I can dig out my old MCI's I would be glad to send it to you.

Also check with an active duty unit. S-2 (Intelligence Sections) don't mind passing on the ISBN #s or the GPO numbers which would make your search for Pubs easier. (I hope)

Thanks. I'll look around for those MCI papers, plus it looks like the folks putting FM 100-62 are actually going to get a draft version completed in March. If they will posted in some sort of short order, that would be terrific.