Just ordered CM, cannot WAIT to try it!

This is the first game I've ever bought without trying first, and certainly the first I've ever ordered on line. Please give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, as I'm nervous that I won't like it. Hehe

I love wargames, but think that hex-based games are too visually dry and boring. I really got into the Close Combat series, but got tired of always feeling like I was "mouse-rushed", desperately trying to click my orders before a team died, only to find out a team on the other side of the map was being pummeled in my non-attention.

I am totally intrigued by this concept of turn-based planning, yet real-time execution. I'm hoping that this style of wargame will alleviate both the boredom of the hex-style, turn-based games, and the frantic clicking of pure RTS games. Seems like a perfect mix between the two!

A question: I've already been checking out the downloads, so I know what to get before the CD arrives. Should I go ahead and download the v1.01 patch, followed by the MP-1 graphics and sounds packs? In other words, what downloads would you recommend I install right off the bat?

Thanks. Hope this game pans out...if the reviews and user comments are accurate, I'm in for one helluva good time. wink.gif

DD

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DigDug:

Hope this game pans out...if the reviews and user comments are accurate, I'm in for one helluva good time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will DigDug, you most certainly will...

As for the downloads, go get those you mentioned and browse a bit on the CM Webring.

You'll find wealth of things to dwell on.

Welcome on board.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

DigDug -

If you liked CC you will love CM even more! CM has the same real time excitment as CC, but much better control etc. You can finally tell if you have a commanding hill position for starters..

Best bit is that infantry is actually useful, and a serious threat to Tanks at close ranges. No more driving to Moscow and back with the same couple of tanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Best bit is that infantry is actually useful, and a serious threat to Tanks at close ranges.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Serious? Yeah I would say so ... after Andreas killed two HTs, killed the gunner on another and immobilzed a StuG that way. And that doesn't count the Panther and HT he killed with another infantry AT weapon that I won't mention.

Seriously it's a great game and from what you say it'll be right up your alley. DL as much as you can but be advised that the graphics mods may or may not be good depending on the horsepower of your machine.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Talorc:

DigDug -

If you liked CC you will love CM even more! CM has the same real time excitment as CC, but much better control etc. You can finally tell if you have a commanding hill position for starters..

Best bit is that infantry is actually useful, and a serious threat to Tanks at close ranges. No more driving to Moscow and back with the same couple of tanks...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT! Ya, most times, CC felt like I was just moving tanks...only using infantry to touch victory locations and clean up very minor enemy positions.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I WILL go get the demo while I wait. Just can't stand reading all the accolades and not being able to run to the software store to play TONIGHT. wink.gif

As for system specs, I'm hoping my machine will be able to run the best possible graphics. It's an Athlon 700, Voodoo3, 256MB RAM, and SB Live sound. Is that enough to run everything balls-to-the-wall maxed? I can OC the chip some more if I need too.

BTW,

In your best estimation, how long will it take for me to actually recieve the game? Battlefront sent me an e-mail saying it would be shipped in "1-2 Business Days". Any truth to that, or is that just a standard reply to the reality that it's gonna take weeks?

Thanks again.

DigDug,

I ordered my copy last Friday 7/14 and have still not received it. I guess it really depends on where you live and on what day you ordered. I know the game ships from the NE US and I'm in the extreme Southwest US, so it may take a little longer for it to arrive. But I'm still waiting patiently and am sure the game will be well worth the wait. Download the demo.........it's awesome and you will not be disappointed.

------------------

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it."

--A. Lincoln

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DigDug:

BTW,

In your best estimation, how long will it take for me to actually recieve the game? Battlefront sent me an e-mail saying it would be shipped in "1-2 Business Days". Any truth to that, or is that just a standard reply to the reality that it's gonna take weeks?

Thanks again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delivery times have varied. I ordered on June 25 and received CM on June 28. I live in Arizona, so game was definitely shipped w/in one business day.

"AIRBORNE"