Coolist looking WW2 Tank

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Pillar, where did you get that pre-release screenshot of CM2?! biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At 3D-Model Mother.com

ie. A picture from that site:

KING_T1.jpg

-----------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 09-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

well, of course the Bob Semple

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO!

New Zealand's fine contribution to MBT design!

Not only that, but it can also be used as a mobile sheep shearing shed! wink.gif

Mace

Guest Pillar

From http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/newzealand/newzealand.html

----------------

God bless the men in this machine! In 1940 war hysteria gripped New Zealand and an effort was made to produce a home grown tank. It was decided to armor an International Harvester* caterpillar tracked farm tractor to make use of equipment on hand. The result was an amazing "tank" called a "Bob Semple" after a politician in New Zealand. Bob was a popular, colorful, Labor (just like an American Democrat - only worse) politician. Backing this wonderful idea (probably because Bob was) were the Prime Minister and Minister of Defence (Bob). Rube Goldberg himself could not have designed it better. Apart from being ugly, the front gunner actually had to lay on a mattress on top of the engine in order to fire his weapon! The Semple had a searing top speed of 24 km/h but had to slow down or even stop in order to shift gears. The "tank" was highly unstable in movement and top heavy. The Public Works Department tried to give this "white elephant" to the army and even offered to convert their entire fleet of 81 into Semples (at a cost of only 4200 pounds sterling apiece)! The army took them, tested them, and even paraded them around the country in an effort to whip up morale. After the laughter subsided, and in an rare display of military intelligence, the army returned them (I am sure that they only needed to have knocked on the United States Army's door to find a buyer). Only 4 units** were built before public ridicule stopped the production. The Bob Semple was armed with 4 machine guns, it was 12 feet tall had had a crew of 8 men. 8 men? I can understand 5, but 8? 5 were probably soldiers, 1 was a shop steward, another fended off the birds trying to roost, and the last took out the trash once a day and waved to the people. The reported weight was from 20 to 25 tons. The extreme swing in reported weight may have

(Bolds mine)

judging from the pictures, it looks like it has 5 machineguns. 5 gunners, the driver, a commander (notice the persicopish device on right hull top), and I guess a mechanic or someone to help those machine gunners.

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

Personally my favorite tank of WW2 would have to be either the Panzer V Panther or the German prtotype Panzer Maus, which was a super heavy weight tank, with a combat wieght of 185 tons and the main armament comprised of a 15 cm gun and a coaxial 7.5 cm gun.

Panzer II luchs...

nasty little bugger... runnin around with its 20mil messing up the infantry and even killing some tanks once in a while.

but the real favourite can be found in my name... The "easy eight"

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

Russian, JS111 (cheating really, never saw action) - neat looking tank (also very advanced)

British - Comet

US - M24

German - Panther

Japanese - don't make me laugh!

Overall, has to be JS111 for looks. If you want post war, I think the Chieftan was (is) a very beautiful Tank!

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

Guest machineman

Jagdpanther for me. Elegant, powerful, deadly. Even the name is cool. Why do the bad guys always have more style than the good guys? "Oh, lets just call it a 'Lundendorf' instead. It'll be better, really. Crews inside something lame like 'Hunting Panther' won't have any fighting spirit."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

The Bob Semple was armed with 4 machine guns, it was 12 feet tall had had a crew of 8 men.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny, *I'm* 12 feet tall and armed with four machineguns *too*! What a small world!

For looks, I've always liked the M10 for some reason.