Map Making Tutorial - Orderly Graveyards

Combatintman

Graveyards up until tonight have been giving me a hissy fit - in particular, lining up the graves.  I think I've found a solution ...

Step 1

Make your graveyard boundary and select your grave flavour objects.  My cemetery is a German military one so we need gravestone 4.  Pick as many as you need and them plonk them on the map in the area of your cemetery.

Step 2

Make a grid in your cemetery using the cross shape fence tile.  Top tip - use a wire fence or one that you can see through rather than a wall or hedge.  I have used a wire fence.

665083529_Graveyard1.thumb.jpg.607f470d551c0acd08bb9a72c36152c0.jpg

Step 3

Go into 3D view and line up your gravestones.  This is still fiddly, but I find that having the grid gives a better alignment and when you look to check the alignment you have a reference point.

1579166874_Graveyard2.thumb.jpg.8b31e8ea2a0939b55aa81f8849360ac7.jpg

Step 4

Go back to the editor, delete your fence grid and go back into 3D mode and wonder at your awesomeness ...

2097385176_Graveyard3.thumb.jpg.8f527cc456a8ab721363169196ee5cec.jpg

Clearly, I have just done the one row in the image above - but you get the picture.

Excellent advice.

I use the small hedge, or a path (that I partially delete to simulate some foot-traffic) to do the same trick. Cemeteries can get a bit clicky, so organization helps.

Another cemetery in winter trick- use the garden flavor objects for the covered plots, with a headstone at the top. They could also be modded for summer use as well by alpha knock-out of the crops. Small sheds as tombs work decently as well.

One thing I only recently discovered is if you select a flavor object and click-drag your cursor across the map it'll leave a string of objects. Its annoying when you only wanted one park bench but it comes in handy when you want a string of tombstones.

Edited by MikeyD

• 1 month later...

Nice ! 😎

As this kind of looks like a more permanent/church-like cemetary (with walls and all)..

Would it work to place the new path-tiles between the crosses...And use these to guide the placement of the crosses...kind of like this.

X = cross

p = path

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ppppppppppppppppppppp

XXXXXX    p  XXXXXXXXX

ppppppppppppppppppppp

XXXXXX    p  XXXXXXXXX

ppppppppppppppppppppp

XXXXXX    p  XXXXXXXXX

p

p

Or would that look wierd ? 

Some tall grass or gravel type of terrain under scattered parts of the wall would look nice also i belive...after all...there is a war goiung on... the maintanence will probably not be perfect 🙃...

I tried using paths to start with - just couldn't see them clearly enough and they take up a lot of space - the cemetery you're looking at is 4 AS x 3 AS discounting the walls as per the editor screen shot so there's not a lot of room to play with either.  Otherwise, yeah I could do all sorts of little touches with the walls vegetation and stuff but it is a 2k x 1.5k map with a sh1t tin of trees on it and if you super detail everything then you just end up slowing load times and stuff.  Plus the fact, it is not really my map making style - I prefer to have the overall look so that when you do the map/Google Earth comparison with the in game top down view they look as close as is possible in the editor.  I give a few areas of the map a bit of character but that's it.

Ok...thanks for the answer.

When looking stuff like this i can't help but to wish for map-templates...😊

How nice wouldn't that be to be able to have something like 5 - 8 different cemetaries finished as templates...ready to simply click in place 😁...

Or perhaps an entire church...with walls, cemetaries etc...

Along with a wide variaty of other template types...oohhh wow ! How that would speed up map-design...

Maybe not the fully historical ones but most certainly fictional ones..