Legality of releasing modified campaigns?

gallycadet

If you’re not going to somehow try to sell them, there is no legal problem to modifying any stock BFC campaign or one made by a fan/player. But as noted, if it is one made by another player/fan, have the courtesy to ask permission, before you share it with the community. If you are just messing around with them for your own ****s and giggles, then no problems and no permission would be necessary, of course. Same goes for scenarios. I have a hundred or more modified scenarios across all the games, all just for my own enjoyment. Many others do, too.

Back before this age of corporate welfare, copyright protected the creator for a reasonable period of time. Our culture didn't need permission for expression... now it serves corporate interests to lock that down.

Apologies, a pet peeve.

On topic: As long as it's not being sold without first securing a license from BFC - user generated content has been, and still is, tolerated if not encouraged.

BTW, merely attempting to contact rights holder does not mean it's OK to distribute without a formal grant. You need the copyright holder to expressly grant you the "right".

It very important to society that our culture becomes one of asking for "permission" to a particular "gatekeeper". Otherwise, we run the risk of enriching society without applying a corporate "tax" (sorry - I'll stop).

On 9/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, Howler said:

Back before this age of corporate welfare, copyright protected the creator for a reasonable period of time. Our culture didn't need permission for expression... now it serves corporate interests to lock that down.

Apologies, a pet peeve.

On topic: As long as it's not being sold without first securing a license from BFC - user generated content has been, and still is, tolerated if not encouraged.

BTW, merely attempting to contact rights holder does not mean it's OK to distribute without a formal grant. You need the copyright holder to expressly grant you the "right".

It very important to society that our culture becomes one of asking for "permission" to a particular "gatekeeper". Otherwise, we run the risk of enriching society without applying a corporate "tax" (sorry - I'll stop).

As an artist who has his work out there, and who has been ripped off from copyright infringements I have no problem with my entitlement for my corporate "tax" thank you 😉, but the Chinese are the real problem with SO many rip offs of intellectual property. Their "corporate" tax is not only unjustified but with the scum bagness of stealing it off of someone else's back at the same time. The amount of what I'm speaking about in this arena is staggering. Pretty much any product out there has a Chinese knock off clone of it being made. It's very hard to fight because their society, and mentality has normalized it plus they know it is hard to combat internationally. 

I hate the f#%$ing internet!  (sorry - I'll stop)🤪

Edited by Vinnart

• 4 months later...