Burning Bunkers Mission

Hi

I have tried playing this mission three times without any luck.

I have tried attacking down the right had side and the left. Left had the tanks, twice. Tried sending tanks down the right side.

In all the attacks I used the infantry.

There just does not seem to be sufficient artillery support.

Any help would be welcome.

Regards

Philip

It's been a long time since I've played this but I remember beating it by just attacking straight down the middle with everything I had in one giant wave. I tried going up the right and left sides like you did and it didn't work for me either.

The right side has that little wooded hill and it's very difficult to get enough forces concentrated up there. I tried sending infantry up there and they got held up by bunkers and minefields and barbed wire and whatnot and the trees blocked my tanks from being able to support them.

The left side had too narrow an attack corridor and I ran into a similar problem with not being able to concentrate enough forces in such a small area.

So instead I massed all of my forces on the map into the big area in the middle, lining them up just behind the crest of that ridge going along the middle of the map. Then I called in a smoke screen right in front of the Germans, making sure to cover only part of their defensive line and not the whole thing. Then I went "over the top" with everything I had. The smoke screen blinded half the enemy force, allowing me to concentrate all of my guns onto the other half, dealing with them piece by piece.

After I went over the top, I had the whole force halt on top of the ridge and start shooting. The open ground in the middle of the map allowed more of my troops to get LOS on the same things at the same time, so I could concentrate much more firepower. I was able to knock out a lot of the German bunkers and heavy weapons before the smoke lifted, and then I turned my guns against the other half of the German line. 

After the bunkers were knocked out and the enemy machine guns were mostly destroyed or suppressed, I had my riflemen charge forward in one big human wave attack, supported by the tanks and mortars. The Soviets seem to work best without a bunch of fancy maneuvering and you just smash the enemy with one giant sledgehammer blow. I took a lot of casualties but I ended up smashing the whole German line and got a total victory. 

I made a video of this mission a long time ago. You don't get to see the whole mission since I was just playing with video editing software to make a cinematic video but you can see my human wave charge across the fields and the final assault on the German trenches. :)