Hotkeys gone - once again

umlaut

What´s the thing with the hotkeys, BFC?

It´s the same every time I´ve installed a new module or patch: The hotkeys have reset to the default BFC settings - and no matter where I place my backed up customized hotkeys.txt document, the hotkeys stay the same. And I cant find any hotkeys.txt document that has replaced my previous custom doc.

I can only change them by reassigning them manually in game. And I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having your own customized hotkeys.txt document, doesn´t it?

My current problem is with CMFI. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to avoid the tedious job of manually resetting the hotkeys every time I´ve installed a new module or patch.

The "hotkeys.txt" file is in the Data folder of your installation (same place all the .brz files are). This is true of all titles. So if you've lost the one for FI because it was overwritten by the patch or new installation, go to another game that still has your changes, copy that file to somewhere safe, and then overwrite the default on in FI.  Or if you've already lost them all in all the updates, check what I wrote at the end here.

Windows:

"C:\Program Files(x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Whatever\Data"

MacOS

"/Applications/CM Whatever/Combat Mission Whatever.app/Contents/Resources/Data"

In Windows there might even be a "previous_hotkeys.txt" there in that Data directory. I have MacOS but I have a Black Sea Windows installation under Parallels Desktop on my Mac and it does have that previous hotkeys file. On mine they are the same, so I'm not sure if this would be your overwritten file? I'd take a look. You might not have lost them!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

Thanks -  I figured it out. I´ve installed the game on my F-drive, but it turned out that the game nevertheless automatically places some of the files in the documents folder on the C drive.

Back-in-the-day CM used to keep the hotkeys file in the data folder along with the BRZs. but they switched it to the documents 'User Data' folder. That location takes precedence, if you drop another hotkeys file into the old Data location the game will ignore it and use the one in 'User Data'

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Back-in-the-day CM used to keep the hotkeys file in the data folder along with the BRZs. but they switched it to the documents 'User Data' folder. That location takes precedence, if you drop another hotkeys file into the old Data location the game will ignore it and use the one in 'User Data'

Yes, that seems to be the case. Thanks.
I am just happy that I managed to figure this out before I begin to patch all my other CM games. 🙂