Medic / buddy aid

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I've started to use tank crews to use buddy aid to get their hands on more than just the pistols they have.

It's probably not realistic re RL, but it's almost a game in itself to see how many weapons one can get a 4 or 5 man crew unit to accumulate.

like to remind of this little helper mod. This helps medics to not become the next casualty.

Wow, that looks great. Is this mod also compatible with CMSF:2?

I always find the way of buddy aid a bit weird. The way I would like it is to be able to throw smokes, grab the WIA/KIA guy and drag him to a safe place to help him there instead of buddy-aiding him on the spot. (Difference between Care under Fire vs Tactical Field Care).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 10:28 PM, Erwin said:

It's probably not realistic re RL, but it's almost a game in itself to see how many weapons one can get a 4 or 5 man crew unit to accumulate.

During the fighting in Stalingrad at least one Tank Brigade was committed to fight as infantry and I recall reading that at some points during the fighting the 23rd Tank Corp had crew fighting as infantry as their number of armored vehicles evaporated.

Just thought I'd pop back and confirm that I have now witnessed medic / buddy aid behaviour.  Probably it was happpening all along, because for some strange reason I was looking at the icons in the middle panel expecting one or more to display 'medic' when actually it appears in the status text for the individual troops at the bottom left of the screen. For example a radio man suddenly went from 'spotting' to 'medic'.  So it seems my observation was to blame 🙃.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, mjkerner said:

Your dead-dead (dark red-brown base, IIRC—I am using a base mod so not sure what the default colors are), as opposed to incapacitated wounded (bright red base)

I always wondered how to differentiate. Is their colour for the walking wounded? The ones who are yellow in the display but can still fight?

I think it is interesting to note that according to this vid while the number of men killed decreases, the score at the end of the game doesn't change whether you perform buddy aid on your casualties or not. The game doesn't seem to care whether your troops are wounded or dead for victory points calculation.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:40 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

I think it is interesting to note that according to this vid while the number of men killed decreases, the score at the end of the game doesn't change whether you perform buddy aid on your casualties or not. The game doesn't seem to care whether your troops are wounded or dead for victory points calculation.

Not according to the manual ...

"Note: Incapacitated (red base) soldiers who have not received “buddy aid” (i.e. disappeared) by the end of the game have a 25% chance of becoming KIA in the final tally."

Page 36 of the manual refers.

Right yeah it does that but as far as the scoring system is concerned, a casualty is a casualty. Soldiers either dead or severely wounded count the same number of points for the purpose of victory points calculation. Check out the vid at 5:35. For the record I tend to the wounded almost systematically; in modern CM games at least. For wwii I am a bit more ruthless for some reason.

8 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Right yeah it does that but as far as the scoring system is concerned, a casualty is a casualty. Soldiers either dead or severely wounded count the same number of points for the purpose of victory points calculation. Check out the vid at 5:35. For the record I tend to the wounded almost systematically; in modern CM games at least. For wwii I am a bit more ruthless for some reason.

I think it does for parameter victory points, in fact the manual states that dead and seriously wounded are counted the same, but may not be the case for unit objective victory points.  Either way, apart from the overriding principle of 'don't get your dudes shot', I've never really let it influence my decision-making, I buddy aid when I can on the principle of saving life.  I certainly don't do it on the basis of grabbing discarded weapons which means I avoid the whole world of disappointment that many people feel when their buddy aid harvests the wrong weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

So I actually tested this because I was bored and I thought maybe Combatintman might be on to something here and I disliked not knowing for sure.

I opened the editor, assigned the whole Syrian platoon on the map to a destroy objective worth 1000 points then opened fire with two abrams on them. Then pulled back the tanks behind a crest, saved the game and ceased fire. Then I loaded the save game but this time I made sure Syrians performed buddy aid on every single casualty on the map. Here is the result. There was no other objective that the destroy objective, no terrain objective or anything.

Without buddy aid :

tQIyDkD.png

With buddy aid :

KuemGR7.png

So same number of points and same cas number in each case, the only difference being the ratio of wounded or killed. It doesn't look like it makes a difference if this test is correct.

9 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

So same number of points and same cas number in each case, the only difference being the ratio of wounded or killed. It doesn't look like it makes a difference if this test is correct.  

First, I have to say, I am not a fan of the blue background color on quotes.  I increased the font size and used bold to make it more readable. 

Second, I agree with your findings.  I had similar results when I tested this in November 2017.  In summary my findings were:  Buddy Aid will keep a WIA from becoming a KIA.  However both KIA and WIA are counted as casualties so the score does not change.  The AAR screen will count KIA and WIA separately but they are both counted as casualties for scoring purposes.  

I still have my troops buddy aid and attempt to save the WIA.  IMO it adds to the immersion of the game.  I've had many missions, within a mission, where I had a pinned down fire team with WIA.  Then I had to devise a plan for a new secondary mission to get to and save the WIA while still conducting the main mission.   

But yes, I wish saving a WIA from going KIA had a result on the final VP score.  Maybe someday ...........

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I am not a fan of the blue background color on quotes.  I increased the font size and used bold to make it more readable. 

+1   Can't see how this blue BG has improved anything.  It makes the black text harder to read and as MOS says one now needs to increase size and bold it to make it readable.