Buying a New PC - IL-2 1946 Install Question

So, I'm finally buying a new rig.

My questions are;

- What is the best way to go about installing CM?
- Need to go module by module, right?

- Can I re-download from the store to get the latest patched install packages?
- Anything I should know about W10?  (My current rig is running W7.)

Thanks in advance.

For CM, if you have the 3.0 or 4.0 Upgrades, then the installer for those upgrades is actually an all-in-one installer. You only need to 'activate' the modules since the files are present already and do not require a separate install. Usually even the latest patch is included (though that might not be the case always).

Yes, you can re-download from your Battlefront Store account. There have been no download limits for a long time. I don't know the specifics for customers who purchase strictly a physical/mailed copy of the game, but I assume with the 3.0/4.0 Upgrades they'll have access to the all-in-one installers.

There's nothing specific about Windows 10 that I can recall. Some customers have run into problems running the games if they are using the built-in Windows Defender Anti-virus, but not everyone has experienced this.

Hey Barkhorn, you into IL2 (judging by the thread title mistake)? I played it virtually nonstop from 2001 until CMx2 came along, and even then split my time between them both until about 2012. I have looked into reinstalling it (I had every mod/module and addon and still have all the thousands of mods saved in a file). I don’t really have an inclination to go with the newer DLC iteration, but wondering just how complicated reinstalling everything is. Have you recently reinstalled it?

Can't believe I failed to change the title.  Doh!

Yup Il-2 1946 is still great.

BEFORE you re-install check out BAT:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?action=collapse;c=15;sa=expand;e9d3f700=271a9c2ed88688b0703a4bcac35aec44#c15

...2nd section down.

Sure it's A LOT to install from a volume perspective but pretty straightforward and it provides a TON of new content (planes, ships, maps) and enhanced features.

Highly recommended.

Thanks guys.  Believe it or not I have all these great games unused as all my gaming time was used up by CM2 (and WITPAE) for the last 20 years!  But I used to love flight sims and keep intending to load em up.  I wonder if 90% of the older games I have stacked up here will even run on the latest OS.

So - haven't played CM in literally years, but was beta tester and wrote some of the missions on CMRT and CMBS.  However, I am now a die-hard IL2 addict, playing the latest IL-2 Great Battles series (IL2 BoX ie. Battle of X - Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte and the upcoming Normandy).  IL2 BoX has some issues, but to say that the visuals are astounding is an understatement.  Flight models and damage models are a very close second to DCS for realism.  Online multiplayer is superb.  With head tracking and HOTAS, it is completely immersive, and I am only awaiting the right VR headset to take that plunge.  FWIW I believe the summer sale is still on, with most of the titles (minus the brand new ones) available at 50-75% off.  Note:  IL2 also built "Flying Circus" onto the base of "Rise of Flight" to simulate WWI aviation and it is an amazing sime and lots of fun as well.  Also of note, the IL2 Cliffs of Dover - the Battle of Britain sim that was the immediate predecessor of IL2 BoX (came after IL2 1946) is coming out very soon with IL2 Tobruk, which will feature a truly incredible level of aircraft, both existing and new, modded for the North Africa campaign.  If you are into flight sims at all you should check it out.  Cliffs and Tobruk are only on Steam (I bought BoX direct from 1C Games, to ensure the devs got all my dollars).  I think Cliffs of Dover is currently $6 and change.  For a taste of IL2 BoX look up either Der Sheriff https://www.youtube.com/c/SheriffsSimShack or iFlyCentral https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6U2wqGyO2APRoFJwOoztA- both Youtubers - who post great content.  Not a cheap hobby, but I am consistently amazed at the quality of the community and sometimes have fun just flying formation or doing acrobatics - its that realistic and beautiful.  

Thanks pnzrldr, you very succinctly cleared up my confusion regarding the titles after 1946!   I updated my head tracker last year for a jet sim, but my Combat Stick needs replacing. I'm not sure (yet) about going for the new DLC versions, but definitely will start off with the package Barkhorn linked to. I know what you mean... I always enjoyed flying formation with Zeroes on patrol over Rabaul, Spitfires over the Channel, or Wildcats over Cactus. Great stuff!

21 hours ago, pnzrldr said:

Flight models and damage models are a very close second to DCS for realism

Can you explain some of the details here.  I play both and don't see any real detail differences.  In fact, I would say for WW2, the damage models in IL2 are more detailed.  Not necessarily more realistic, but more detailed.  Genuinely curious when I hear people compare flight sims.

Edited by Thewood1

3 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Can you explain some of the details here.  I play both and don't see any real detail differences.  In fact, I would say for WW2, the damage models in IL2 are more detailed.  Not necessarily more realistic, but more detailed.  Genuinely curious when I hear people compare flight sims.

Sure.  DCS models a variety of factors not seen in IL2.  Take a look at the modeling of wake turbulence for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Q3kd4v3bw&t=62s.  This impacts formation flight too, as well as the stuff near the ground depicted. Their actual flight modeling is more rigorous, and - according to a few I know who have flown real warbirds, DCS and IL2 - closer to reality.  Another point of significance to us gamers - the ground handling for taxi in DCS is also closer.  IL2 taxiing is actually harder than IRL.  Also, DCS has recently (last 8 weeks?) begun releasing aircraft with their updated full damage model. Started with the FW-190A8 and I believe they have done their entire WWII warbirds lineup now (double check me).  Level of systems detail is even higher than IL2, with full effects of virtually everything.  You can, for example, lose your O2 bottles and wind up passing out at altitude, among other potential mishaps.  IL2, not to be outdone, also released a full damage model upgrade recently as well (again, last 6 weeks or so?) that focused revising on the modeling of damage from HE versus solid shot (.50 cal) and the delta between skin damage and structural damage, as well as pass through to systems.  It diminished the previously high probability of seeing a wing separate from an enemy after a burst or two, and increased pass through damage to engines and incidence of fire.  Also, you see increased aerodynamic issues with major HE skin damage and greater damage to engines from penetrating .50 cal fire.  They also redid bomb blast damage to more closely model blast and fragmentation radii.  

@mjkerner, I currently use a Saitek X56 HOTAS, a Track IR with the LED clip, the intro level Thrustmaster rudder pedals, and a 35" ACER Predator monitor.  The Saitek is IMHO the best bang for the buck short of going overseas for Virpil or other snazzy Euro control solutions.  Given the price points, I would not even look at Thrustmaster.  For IL2 BoX the most exciting release has been Battle of Bodenplatte that has significant US / British late war aircraft fighting P-51D, P-47D, Spit Mk IX, P-38, Tempest, against German 109 K4 / G14, FW-190D9 / A8 and of course ME-262.  Battle of Normandy is in pre-order and the first aircraft due out is the P-47D 'Razorback'.  This 1944 focused release will also include the Typhoon, Spit Mk XIV, Mosquito, B-26 (AI only) and on the German side, a late-war 109 G6 variant, 190A6, ME-410 and AR-234 plus a few other planes on both sides.  They haven't put out a BoN trailer yet, but here's a very recent fantastic vid of BoBP.  If this doesn't make you want to play it nothing will.  All footage is in-game.  No cinematic that I can detect.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i1gF-gFa_Y&t=5s

And, as an alternate path on the sim in between 46 and BoX, here's the Cliffs of Dover (CLoD) Tobruk trailer:  

If any are interested in this stuff, ensure you take advantage of the sale going on now - or wait for the next one!  Entry level right now for Battle of Stalingrad for example is just $20 for the Premium pack with bonus a/c and BoBP is $40.  BF please forgive me for posting other folk's stuff, but should not be in direct competition w/ you guys.  You know I love you!

Edited by pnzrldr