Just Ran Across Combat Mission Again

Probus

As the title says, I just ran across my Combat Mission games again.  I had the original Overlord and Barbarossa disks.  Wow!  Its come a long way!

I'm downloading the demo now, but it looks like Black Sea is probably the best for the conventional modern battlefield.

Would that be true?

Kind of a steep price tag for an older title, but I'm willing to pay it if it is as good as it looks.

53 minutes ago, Probus said:

Black Sea is probably the best for the conventional modern battlefield.

Would that be true?

Yes.

53 minutes ago, Probus said:

Kind of a steep price tag for an older title, but I'm willing to pay it if it is as good as it looks.

All of them uses the same engine with the exception of the afghan one, so publish date doesn't matter.

In other words think of all the current CM games as one game having different modules / DLCs for different eras and areas.

Edited by Bufo

6 hours ago, Bufo said:

Yes.

All of them uses the same engine with the exception of the afghan one, so publish date doesn't matter.

In other words think of all the current CM games as one game having different modules / DLCs for different eras and areas.

Well, I downloaded the Demos and they are pretty awesome, I must say. 

Ok. It didn’t take long playing the demo until I decided it was well worth the price tag. 

What a great game!  I’m really enjoying it. When you play on easy settings, does that make it easier to destroy enemy vehicles and easier for friendly vehicles be destroyed?  It seems pretty hard to show your face and survive. 

1 hour ago, Probus said:

What a great game!  I’m really enjoying it. When you play on easy settings, does that make it easier to destroy enemy vehicles and easier for friendly vehicles be destroyed?  

If you are playing on the lowest difficulty leverl, wich i belive is BASIC TRAINING, i don't think it will be easier to destroy the enemy but it will help you by limiting the fog of war on the enemy units...giving your units instant information-sharing...give you shorter delaytimes on things like artillery- and airsupport...improve your troops moral and supression recovery i belive...and a few other things...

It will not make it easier for friendly vehichles to be destroyed...

I would recomend that you study the manual and 'get out of' basis training as fast as possible...change to atleast VETERAN difficulty..

Othervise you're missing out on some of the gameplay features that are toned down on basic training...

Primarely fog of war and informationshantering

The game get's even better with those things in play 😎...

Edited by RepsolCBR

• 2 weeks later...

@Probus I have all the early BF games. I didn't play them for years and came back recently to CMBS and now CMSF2.   I love these games: in a sort of insane masochistic way,  because the modern battlefield is very punishing. You can do everything right...and still be blown to pieces by missiles or tanks. I am glad you are enjoying the game. Do download player-made scenarios and mods - many of them are quite brilliant and surpass the (generally) high standard of the normal scenarios you get when you purchase the game.

Really having fun with CMBS and CMSF2.  I have some really epic 1 minute movie clips! Slow and steady, eyes open, wins the race in both these games.

I know this won't be controversial at all, but which is the best of the WWII series?

BTW, I would pay good money for a Field of View button.  I think it is Graviteam Tactics games that has that.  A real life saver.

Edited by Probus

31 minutes ago, Probus said:

I know this won't be controversial at all, but which is the best of the WWII series?

For me, it is Fortress Italy with all the addons. It has the longest date range, from July 43 to May 45. It has the most number of different nations and the widest TO&E within the nations as well. The game also features the most diverse range of terrain of any of the games; desert, mountains, rural farms with wide open fields to tight vineyards, villages, cities, about the only thing missing is bocage. The game also has every possible weather condition to fight in; from scorching heat to freezing cold blizzards. 

The best advice I can give tho is to pick the theatre you are most interested in and start there. Odds are, you will end with them all, so start with the one you are most excited about.

17 hours ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

For me, it is Fortress Italy with all the addons. It has the longest date range, from July 43 to May 45. It has the most number of different nations and the widest TO&E within the nations as well. The game also features the most diverse range of terrain of any of the games; desert, mountains, rural farms with wide open fields to tight vineyards, villages, cities, about the only thing missing is bocage. The game also has every possible weather condition to fight in; from scorching heat to freezing cold blizzards. 

The best advice I can give tho is to pick the theatre you are most interested in and start there. Odds are, you will end with them all, so start with the one you are most excited about.

That is a good explanation @Heirloom_Tomato.  Thanks.  I'm guessing from the dates, that the desert terrain is not North Africa.  Are there any user made scenarios set there?