Kilo 2 Bravo movie about Brits in 2006 Afghanistan

Interesting for those interested in camo and overall uniform issues.  Some equipment etc.

The movie itself is pretty good and worth watching.  It's on Netflix.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kilo_two_bravo

******** SPOILERS IN CASE YOU WANNA WATCH THE FILM **********

It's the story of a small isolated Brit Para unit stuck on a remote hill.  They are bored out of their minds.  So one chap has the bright idea of setting up a sniper position a Km away to cover an ANA roadblock.  Along with a couple other bored paras they set out but find themselves in a wadi where BOOM one loses a leg from a mine.  Over the next hours more and more of the Brits trickle in to give assistance --- but they keep getting blown up by the minefield(!)   What follows was what I thought was a very dark and gruesome comedy as each squaddy finds more stupid ways to get blown up. 

Eg:  Someone throws a bottle of water at a thirsty trooper, BOOM it manages to trigger a mine mutilating another couple soldiers.  Then there is a Monty Python sketch moment that reminded me a bit of the Holy Grail knight combined with Dad's Army where two troopers are discussing something in the foreground, while BOOM in the BG yet another trooper gets blown up.  Then a chopper fails to make the rescue and as it departs it creates so much wind that it dislodges another rock and BOOM, another couple troopers lose limbs.  A whole squad is now WIA with legs and arms lying all over the wadi.  Finally a US chopper arrives and winches the survivors to safety. 

I thought that maybe this was an very dark comedic allegorical movie about the futility of the Brits actions in Afghanistan who then have to be rescued by the Yanks.  But what gobsmacked me was at the end we find out it's a TRUE STORY!  Despite the fact that the entire story was as a result of a couple bored paras going off on a completely unnecessary hike, all the blokes involved ended up with serious medals like George Crosses for "Bravery and Valor".  

What's that saying?  "No one gets medals for a successful op, the medals get handed out when there is a complete disaster and SNAFU."

• 2 weeks later...

I'd had this down on my (mental) list so thanks Erwin for reminding me. It was called Kajaki in the UK (after the dam).  I found it curiously unsatisfactory. The dialogue seemed muffled. It was unusual to see a war film where there  are no enemies, just a desperate struggle to save comrades' lives. I felt this ought to sum up the futility of war but it somehow didn't bring me in, and it sort-of fizzled out at the end.

Edited by JulianJ