President orders large-scale US troop withdrawal from Germany

56 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Looks like NATO's being abandoned, just weeks after the US ripped up the longstanding 'open skies' treaty that had allowed us to keep track of Russia troop movements. Sorry 'bout that Europe.

Not at all surprised. Not at all.

Hey no problems for Europe I guess the troops are needed for crowd control duties in America. 

🙄

Obviously with things nice and peaceful in the world and no threats it just makes sense to redeploy idle troops...

After all we brought most of ours home...

Edited by Holien

You might have a problem shoving off unless someone choppers in cases of Tito's. But then again, the passage is only 4 days to the US. Think I would rather exit The People's Republic of Germany and get to more familiar territory with family and friends. Two bottles and a deck of cards = a party to pass the voyage away with. If a little luck, 2 bottes grows to 2 cases for the shore house. Nice. 

6 hours ago, kevinkin said:

You might have a problem shoving off unless someone choppers in cases of Tito's. But then again, the passage is only 4 days to the US. Think I would rather exit The People's Republic of Germany and get to more familiar territory with family and friends. Two bottles and a deck of cards = a party to pass the voyage away with. If a little luck, 2 bottes grows to 2 cases for the shore house. Nice. 

PR Germany? Never heard about such a thing. In what alternate reality does it exist?

Edited by StieliAlpha

8 hours ago, kevinkin said:

Who the f*** are Tito's?  People's Republic of Germany? Hello .... wake up!

No. Just local humor in the US. Many people call their states the People's Republic of California, People's Republic of New Jersey etc.. The first time I ever heard it used was by a friend who lives and rural Massachusetts i.e. People's Republic of  Massachusetts. Generally a joking phase by business owners in response to over taxation, regulation and lax immigration rules.

Local humor from a particular political bent which they did understand.  You get the same reaction from the non right wing about the comments on the "People's republic of California".  They weren't looking for an explanation, they were just pointing out it is stupid.

Not so sure since many even in the US would not get the humor. Most here don't care about public policy at all. BTW no one commented on the context/explanation I provided. Getting a bit ahead of yourself it appears. Trying to read people's minds and put words in their mouth's does not foster credibility. Comes across as a pissy fit. Let them speak for themselves. 

Thousands of people who are into public policy don’t think this specific humor is stupid at all. Many are doctors, lawyers engineers, and small business owners. Achievers. They see it as a clever 4 word summary of how some jurisdictions treat their citizens. It uses a form of humor called "Hyperbolic: Comic presentation marked by extravagant exaggeration and outsized characterization." If any forum should understand the Hyperbolic it's Battlefront's. Ever watch SNL? 

Kevin   

Edited by kevinkin

On 6/14/2020 at 11:49 PM, kevinkin said:

Not so sure since many even in the US would not get the humor. Most here don't care about public policy at all. BTW no one commented on the context/explanation I provided. Getting a bit ahead of yourself it appears. Trying to read people's minds and put words in their mouth's does not foster credibility. Comes across as a pissy fit. Let them speak for themselves. 

Thousands of people who are into public policy don’t think this specific humor is stupid at all. Many are doctors, lawyers engineers, and small business owners. Achievers. They see it as a clever 4 word summary of how some jurisdictions treat their citizens. It uses a form of humor called "Hyperbolic: Comic presentation marked by extravagant exaggeration and outsized characterization." If any forum should understand the Hyperbolic it's Battlefront's. Ever watch SNL? 

Kevin   

Hi Kevin

I did not comment, because I decided to leave it at that after your explanation.

However, since you seem to ask for a comment:

Ok, I took it as humor after your explanation. From my own experience, I am certainly aware, that “Humor“, especially “local humor” in a forum is a difficult thing, as obviously not everybody has the same background and the same sense of humor.

That said, with my background and in the given context, I did find the perceived naming of Germany a PR embarrassing and the idea of trying to compare Germany to a PR indeed as „stupid“.

Now, one could discuss, if „taxation, regulation and lax immigration rules„  make a place resemble a People’s Republic. Being an engineer and having achieved some things, I feel entitled to have an opinion: I don’t find the joke a very clever description either.

Edited by StieliAlpha

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, kevinkin said:

No. Just local humor in the US. Many people call their states the People's Republic of California, People's Republic of New Jersey etc.. The first time I ever heard it used was by a friend who lives and rural Massachusetts i.e. People's Republic of  Massachusetts. Generally a joking phase by business owners in response to over taxation, regulation and lax immigration rules.

thats so odd! I never heard that! ( I wouldnt have)

in boston we called CAMBRIDGE the PRC peoples republic cambridge as its very liberal and has harvard MIT etc

Exactly.

Some humor is universal. Some is pointingly targeted. I enjoy Saturday Night Live. But all humor is water off a duck's back unless the person has no sense of humor at all. I am finding people have no sense of humor and cringe at a good joke like the cameras of Orwell's 1984 are watching them. "How many  ------- does it that to screw in a light bulb...? " Fill in the dashes and it's a funny joke around the water cooler. 

some of the best comedies ever IMO couldnt be made now

Blazing Saddles is #1 on that list

Dr Strangelove?   For Red Dawn 2 They changed the Chinese uniforms and flags digitially POST PRODUCTION to accomodate CCP censors. Im not joking.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:14 PM, kevinkin said:

"How many  ------- does it that to screw in a light bulb...? " Fill in the dashes and it's a funny joke around the water cooler. 

I prefer Steve Martin's in My Blue Heaven.  What is the difference between a light bulb and a pregnant woman?

I think Germany has some more important issue to worry about at the moment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/world/europe/germany-military-neo-nazis-ksk.html?searchResultPosition=4

Edited by sburke