So Good and Two Questions

I bought CMSF2 a few months back along with the USMC add-on - It's very fun and I enjoyed it a lot, albeit a bit pricey. I also tried the Black Sea demo and would consider a purchase, but again....rather pricey. First question is why no sale on Memorial Day at least for existing customers?  Second questions is what is/if there is a new project Battle Front is working on? 

Thx

3 hours ago, Falcon_the_Slut said:

I bought CMSF2 a few months back along with the USMC add-on - It's very fun and I enjoyed it a lot, albeit a bit pricey. I also tried the Black Sea demo and would consider a purchase, but again....rather pricey. First question is why no sale on Memorial Day at least for existing customers?  Second questions is what is/if there is a new project Battle Front is working on? 

Thx

Your questions are ones that have come up many times in the past, I believe I asked them same ones several years ago! Battlefront has not had a sale on their products for the past 20 years. It is their business model and while we are free to disagree it does not appear to be changing any time soon.

As for price, while it may seem pricey at first glance, consider the sheer number of hours of entertainment you will get from these games and then the price is real cheap. 

Currently Battlefront is working to create new content for the Red Thunder game, bring this game from June 1944 to the end of the war. If you are a fan of Eastern Front history, this module will be a must buy.

I once calculated cost/benefit for my purchases. I own all CMx2 games and modules. I haven't bothered lately adding up the cost, but let's high ball it at $1000.00. I have been at this since CMSFx1 came out in 2007. My conservative estimate is that I play/mod CM games at least 1000 hours a year. (That's less than 3 hours a day, which I am pretty certain is low when I consider how much I'm at it in winter months, especially since I retired 6 years ago.) Add in Forum time, I'd have to double that. So at between 13,000 and 26,000 hours, if I did my "gozinta's" correctly, I'm at less than $0.05 hour so far. And it goes down each day I play/mod, until of course the next CM gem comes along!

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot recall prices ever going up, despite inflation. So by that metric the CM titles get cheaper and cheaper every day as inflationary pressures erode the dollar/pound/euro. I was going to ask how much it costs to go to a movie these days compared to X number of years ago then I remembered - oh, yeh, not an appropriate question right now.

Your last question - new project.  Right now what is being worked on and tested is a follow on module for Red Thunder, called Fire and Rubble. You can find a lot of discussion/speculation about it in the Red Thunder section along with a running example game using just a portion of Ben's amazing Berlin city map. 

The BN bundle with CW and MG provides a huge amount of content. Black Sea is great if modern is your thing. Can't go wrong really and standard advice is that you'll enjoy most the game that covers the area you have the most interest in.

As for price, there is a lot of content included, quick battles offer endless variety, and there is a lot of free user created content to download.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, Falcon_the_Slut said:

I bought CMSF2 a few months back along with the USMC add-on - It's very fun and I enjoyed it a lot,

Enjoyed?  Enjoyed?! As in past tense?!! Soldier you march your a** back in there, there is no way you completed all that content.

Coming back to CM after a few years I decided to upgrade to CMSF2. It was nice to discover that owners of CMSF1 are granted a discount, sadly never bought the NATO module so I payed full price for it, and I'm having lots of fun

Having been playing games since 1986, I would say CM is a good investment if you are truly into wargames and the like, there's really nothing like it that directly competes with these games

Still, for me, having to deal with exchange rates from South America, it is an expensive proposition for just a "game"

Don´t know if it would be profitable for Battlefront to have localize prices as some have, probably not, given the relatively small number of people interested in this sort of things to begin with...but it might entice me to jump into more titles 😁