Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

On 6/8/2020 at 6:07 AM, Baneman said:

Enjoying this a lot :) Especially the counter punches.

OK. I'll hold off for a little bit. But I'll drop a teaser......Our hero is not out of it yet. Not even close.

(Yes,, of course I cast myself in the role of the hero.).

7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

haven´t seen much infantry combat yet. In case you got some infantry auto evading I´d like to know how that´s going (in anticipation of the next patch). 

Funny you should say that. Before replying to this I looked at the next series of screenshots I have loaded up and most are about infantry. There are a couple of infantry things that have been going on that are interesting. 

51 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Funny you should say that. Before replying to this I looked at the next series of screenshots I have loaded up and most are about infantry. There are a couple of infantry things that have been going on that are interesting. 

Is that because there aren't so many tanks left?  Sorry to ask ☹️...

18 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

hehe... ok then. Hope it´s all good things for comrades Ivan.

What I'm about to show has been going on for a few turns. It didn't begin with these screenshots and it still hasn't ended. Around the park by Berliner Weisse we've been having a battle of attrition that I don't think either of us is winning or losing. Here's an overview of the area.

59_6.jpg

You'll notice that some of my infantry is faded. I imagine his is as well. Most of the fire has been from the 4 units to the right. The screenshots here are from the unit that is currently showing as a sound contact and the other 2 are from the unit at the "bottom" of the other 3. When I replay the movies of these fights, it is a constantly changing cycle of his units firing. Then cowering. And sometimes becoming casualties. My squads and teams are doing the same thing. Firing, cowering and sometimes becoming casualties. More frequently firing or cowering. His Panzer IV is the only thing that is giving him any advantage here. It isn't giving as much of an advantage as I would would thought though. My thought about that has been that he isn't using area fire and because my men go to ground the Mark IV may be losing it's LOS and stops trying to target me. When things switch, after I get his Panther, I will be using area fire almost exclusively. If I start worrying about running out of ammo I may use the Target Briefly command but I expect to still use only area fire. 

One thing that the screenshots do not show well is the amount of lead in the air.

59_3.jpg

59_4.jpg

59-2.jpg

He tries to set up a 75mm Recoilless near where I got his Mark IV. The T34 I have in the area spotted them and ended the war for one man. I do not believe the gun was knocked out but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

A slightly amusing things about this screenshot. Can you see the Hit messages by my 3 tanks? I've been getting a million of them. I rewatched turns over and over again to try to figure out who was plinking my armor so that I could shoot back at these hidden swine. I finally determined that the reason I could never figure out where the shots are coming from is because the are ricochets off the surrounding buildings! That is how many rounds are in the air. 

1_0_1.jpg

I have broken off a Sapper team as my latest idea for how to deal with the Panther near Berliner Weisse. The team has 8 demo charges. I plan to bring them to the building we'd been fighting over near my armor. I have a foothold in that building now that I am using to prevent him from getting any fausts or schrecks near my tanks. The idea is to go from building to building. If there isn't a door between the buildings I'll blast my way through it. I'll keep moving until I can hopefully get a demo on the Panther or distract it enough to bring a tank over to take care of it. The good thing about that kind of advancing is if he has infantry in the building I'm moving into then the demo will put a major hurting on them. The bad thing is that he'll know I'm coming for his Panther. There will be no sneaking up on him. 

Side note: I've been doing a lot of moving through Berlin buildings with demo charges when playtesting scenarios on the Berlin maps. It's been a lot of fun. And, as mentioned above, it puts a hurting on anyone in a building that you're blasting into.....with the added benefit of not being seen by the unit in that building until you've blown a hole in the wall. So, they can't fire at you while you're setting up the blast. You just have to make sure someone is covering you from fire coming other directions. 

59_5.jpg

59_7.jpg

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

hehe... ok then. Hope it´s all good things for comrades Ivan.

There ya go. 7 out of 7 from this series are infantry. The next batch I have loaded up is infantry based as well. I may post some more today because it'll show some good news for the my men. 

Here we goooooooooooooooooo........I've been waiting for this chance since the early part of this battle. He's moving in toward my SMG Company and they are doing exactly what I have had them there to do. It's a slaughter. There is no attriting going on here. If I thought there was a lot of lead in the air near Berliner Weisse I hadn't seen anything yet. Everywhere I look I see German red crosses. Within seconds his troops are mowed down. Man, I hope these images capture it.............

58_3.jpg

58_4.jpg

58_5.jpg

58_6.jpg

I am not without casualties of my own. It would be 1 man here or there in a squad if it wasn't for the armored car. It put a nice hurt on an HQ unit,  causing 6 out of 11 casualties. I think that I got the better end of that deal by far.

I gotta get rid of that armored car though before it causes more damage. I have AT rifle teams in the area. About all they're good for (in my experience) is against armored cars and halftracks.  

(I think that I'll make that all that I'll put up today. It feels like a lot more but I've only shown 2 turns since the 3 dead AFVs.)

58_7.jpg

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

... I have AT rifle teams in the area. About all they're good for (in my experience) is against armored cars and halftracks...

They do a pretty good job of that -- or at least can convince them to go away for awhile. In my experience, against infantry, a grouped AT rifle platoon can lay down decent suppression fire on a single building location at distance. Can be very handy sometimes.

BFCElvis,

Those are great shots and they really did capture the feel of the action.

During the battle for Berlin, the Russians and Germans historically blasted their way through the walls of the buildings to avoid going out into the streets, so you are recreating a little bit of the historical feel of the battle.

Nice battle!

Heinrich505  

5 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Here we goooooooooooooooooo........I've been waiting for this chance since the early part of this battle. He's moving in toward my SMG Company and they are doing exactly what I have had them there to do. It's a slaughter. There is no attriting going on here. If I thought there was a lot of lead in the air near Berliner Weisse I hadn't seen anything yet. Everywhere I look I see German red crosses. Within seconds his troops are mowed down. Man, I hope these images capture it.............

58_3.jpg

58_4.jpg

58_5.jpg

58_6.jpg

You could  be happy that your troopers were already in place and shoot first! 😁 That´s the situation I´d bit of forecasted some time ago. Large (or special) MG independant buildings = death traps. ☠️ Having a height advantage and germans moving adds to this. Even if they sneaked in crawling, it wouldn´t have made a difference. Maybe damaged state of that building enhances that unpleasent (to germans) effect but I guess with the AC around your happy time won´t last very long. Few 2cm rounds can turn kill count towards germans very quickly. 🥶

5 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I am not without casualties of my own. It would be 1 man here or there in a squad if it wasn't for the armored car. It put a nice hurt on an HQ unit,  causing 6 out of 11 casualties. I think that I got the better end of that deal by far.

I gotta get rid of that armored car though before it causes more damage. I have AT rifle teams in the area. About all they're good for (in my experience) is against armored cars and halftracks.  

(I think that I'll make that all that I'll put up today. It feels like a lot more but I've only shown 2 turns since the 3 dead AFVs.)

58_7.jpg

Will be interesting to see how you solve this situation. Maybe massed fire will drive the AC´s away, but that will come at a cost likely. Hard choices as long as there´s still german infantry around and the surprise is lost now. But as long as germans use same indi buildings.... ☠️

Usually this is now where auto evade takes over in unpleasent ways. Any suicide movements yet, your or german side?