Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

4 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

must´ve been a particularly vulnerable spot on the SU. A single AP blowing off all the riders... yikes. What about the crew? :o

It must have been. I've had these in other battles take huge poundings. Not this time. There were no survivors on the squad or the crew.

What´s the data in bottom right corner btw? Guess some debugging stuff not availabe to us commoners?

Yes, although everything that I have installed has it and I don't even notice it anymore. 

The HQ unit calling in the smoke got kilt at the end of the Street of Death (ugh....4th Company HQ). So, I fired smoke to the intersections from one of the Shermans. It provided me some smoke cover to move into the intersection. And into the intersection I went. I feel like I really have to get control over that intersection because it is seriously inhibiting my movement.

1_16_2.jpg

2 tanks down and I've not taken out any of his.......And look what just showed up down the other street. The last shot may show how important this intersection has become. Getting control over that may be as important as getting control over the game objectives. 

1_16_3.jpg

1_16_4.jpg

1_16_5.jpg

I'm feeling my oats now. I have enough armor near Berliner Weisse to try to deal with the Mark IVs that set up camp there. I am going to send a Sherman and a T34-85 to go after them by sending them in tandem to a point that I expect to have a LOF at both tanks.

1_9_3.jpg

1_9_4.jpg

Meanwhile....Back in the area of Jagermeister, Ithikial_AU has shown a little bit more of what he's bringing to the party. 

Coming down a street that I hadn't even considered I spot another Mark IV....Because of the sound contacts there's a chance that there are 2 coming down the lane.

Also, I am finially seeing some infantry approaching my SMG Company. The fleeting spot results in 2 German casualties. That is exactly what I was hoping would happen if/when he came at me that way. I think he's going to need a large amount of infantry to stand a chance against my defenses there. But, I guess we'll see about that.

1_9_7.jpg

1_9_8.jpg

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes.....Yes, I can.

It really is a relief to have had such a good turn. Until now I've felt like I was treading water. It was a good turn for morale.

We can all relate.  That must have been very satisfying.    :)

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

YES!!!!!!!!! Now I feel that I definitely have caught up in the AFV kills department. Would I trade 1 M4A2(76)W Sherman and 1 SU-85 for 2 Mark IVs and 4 Armored Cars? Yes.

Impressive Armor "Fire and Rubble" Fun Run Elvis.

Buzz

My plane has arrived. It was shooting at something near Vodka that I couldn't see. It sounded like it was hitting hollow metal. So, I'm not sure what it was. 

Also, now that one of the tanks by Berliner Weisse is gone and the other could be facing off against 3 tanks I am starting to move some men into the buildings overlooking the park, as I had originally intended. I'm hoping that once I'm there I'll be able to work on suppressing whatever is still in the buildings there. 

This brings me up to the minute. My 2 biggest concerns right now are:

-The Panther near Berliner Weisse. I won't feel comfortable bringing my armor closer to Beliner Weisse until that has been dealt with. 

- The TDs and the end of the Street of Death. 

1_6_1.jpg

1_6_2.jpg

22 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

@BFCElvis how much time is left in the battle? As things stand now, where is your greatest strength? Your greatest weakness? In your mind, are you winning, holding your own or starting to fall behind?

There's 1 hour 5 minutes left in the battle.

I'd say my greatest strength right now is my defenses for my home turf of Jagermeister. I also feel like I've may have an armor advantage. The latter is not based on any real knowledge. Just a gut feeling.

I think my greatest weakness is probably my situation around Berliner Weisse. I'm very susceptible to losing armor to panzerfausts. I don't have the freedom of armor movement that I'd like because I'm ascared of the Panther and don't have the means to take him out with anything other than armor. This screenshot will show what I mean. The Panther is located where the blue circle is. The orange circle shows how I can't send armor in 2 directions to try and flank the Panther. The red is about my only choice for going after it. And that looks like death. The pink units need to be moved across the street to prevent any faust coming at me from those buildings.

Winning, losing or holding my own? I don't know. Until I started knocking out some armor I felt like I was behind. I don't have enough intel right now to know if I'm ahead. But I can see a patch to victory. In the long term, if I can take Berliner Weisse I may try to continue to Vodka from there, rather than from Jagermeister as I'd originally intended. 

1_6_3.jpg

Very much enjoying the AAR. Congrats on getting some nice counter punches in!

What's the weapon mix on the regular infantry squads you have here? IIRC, I read there might be a TOE adjustment to some of the Soviet units, reducing the number of SMGs.  I ask, thinking that perhaps (assuming the broader armor situation allows it) you can use the buildings and your infantry muscle to force the Panther to commit very close and then take it out with a close assault team.

Speaking of which, are you splitting your squads?  I know that Soviet units are designed by BF with the concept that they should generally stay together, but I nearly always split them into maximum maneuver units at the point of contact. I only keep them together when in reserve or some overwatch situations.  On my dense urban map, that is much, much more effective than using full squads. -Just have to really be diligent with HQ placement and splitting Plt HQs off from their squads for safety, if they are a combined type.

41 minutes ago, Macisle said:

What's the weapon mix on the regular infantry squads you have here? IIRC, I read there might be a TOE adjustment to some of the Soviet units, reducing the number of SMGs.  I ask, thinking that perhaps (assuming the broader armor situation allows it) you can use the buildings and your infantry muscle to force the Panther to commit very close and then take it out with a close assault team.

If I remember correctly, it varies very slightly from squad to squad. The next couple of infantry screenshots that I take I will leave the UI in the screenshot so that you can see what is in each squad.

Speaking of which, are you splitting your squads?  I know that Soviet units are designed by BF with the concept that they should generally stay together, but I nearly always split them into maximum maneuver units at the point of contact. I only keep them together when in reserve or some overwatch situations.  On my dense urban map, that is much, much more effective than using full squads. -Just have to really be diligent with HQ placement and splitting Plt HQs off from their squads for safety, if they are a combined type.

I just spilt some off near Berliner Weisse to move into the buildings over looking the park. Other than that I have kept them together for a couple of reasons. First, with so much to move and not being in contact with the enemy it's easier. Next, I want the concentrated firepower when shooting from building to building. LOS/LOF can be difficult to get a "blue" target line. So I want to have the best chance that I have to lay down a lot of lead. It's a risk/reward thing when I factor in the exposure of having everyone in one place. When I play battles in more rural locations I pretty much split everything.....it just doesn't feel right in these close quarters. Lastly, very soon I expect that area to be very densely populated. I have SO much infantry in that area ready to move into position. I haven't counted recently but I could be moving about 2 companies into a 3 block area very soon. If i decide that trying to overpower with brute force is worth the risk. 

I am considering moving the infantry in close to the Panther for both the close assault that you mention and to serve as a distraction to draw it's fire while I move a tank into position to get it. I am also thinking of bring up either a Sapper squad or team and seeing if I can get it with a demo charge. That'll take some time because they are down near the SMG Company and would have to run across the intersection at the Street of Death.