Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

Back at Berliner Weisse at that weird corner that I have another OT-34 trying to kill the last man in a squad I continue to try to take him out. He has been refusing to die. I haven't had any direct fire on him but I've gotten plenty of area fire on the building. He's been busy performing some buddy aid on his buddies and now look what he's gotten his hands on. Yup. Both an MG42 and a panzerfaust. I'd come out shooting at him with area fire until I got in a position to get some direct fire but I have a tank staring right at where I'd have to go. Either this b@#%*&d will get a shot at me with his faust or the tank will get a shot. I've felt like I'm in check for a while. I gotta get myself out of these boxes that I've gotten myself into.

39_1.jpg

39_2.jpg

39_3.jpg

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

39_3.jpg

That overwatch PIV would almost certainly win the duel if the OT-34 peeks around the corner.  Now, if it got swarmed by infantry first to make it turn its turret, combined with a carefully timed OT-34 advance with a covered armored arc on the PIV (with a timed additional move + face to take off the arc after the likely armor engagement time)...

But, you're low on infantry there at the moment and that OT-34 is a key asset. So, not sure on taking the risk. Like you said, maybe think a bit and see if you can make the overall situation more fluid. Don't you have more infantry on the way? More bodies to swarm the tank?

Question on uniform appearance...

Some of your troops have what I will call the previous normal/summer appearance from CMRT and some have the new "winter uniforms" (quilted jacket and fur hat).

Actually maybe the great coat is rolled over the shoulders for the summer...not EXACTLY like previous CMRT.

Anyway, is this on purpose? Does the troops selection menu have a drop down for choosing "summer" - "winter" - "mixed"?

Thanks

I just checked the game. The Russians have a uniform option of 'standard', 'greatcoat' or 'winter' through April. Once you hit May, though, the winter and greatcoat options go away. I did check to see if you can 'cheat', select winter dressed troops in April then change the scenario date afterwards. And yes, you can 'cheat'.

Back down by Jagermeister things aren't quite as rosey. @Aragorn2002's SPW 251/21 is proving to be a pain in more ways than on. In ONE shot it completely eliminated a Maxim MG team. Also, related to the SPW 251/21 I tried to move an AT Rifle team into position to take it out and one of the guys in the team got hit. Wanna guess which one?  

36_2.jpg

36_3.jpg

That's it. It's time to take some decisive action. I have earlier moved the SMG Platoon from 6th Company to take cover the area where the SMG Company got smoked. I am not going to commit the other 2 platoons to move on Berliner Weisse. I am thinking that if they make it up there intact I'm going to get all human wave on Berliner Weisse. I've got plenty of time to rethink that idea but that's what's going through my mind right now.

One of the Sapper teams is back up that way and without that pest to harass them they can get to work trying to retrieve some demo charges fro their fallen brothers.  

36_4.jpg

35_1.jpg

14 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Back down by Jagermeister things aren't quite as rosey. @Aragorn2002's SPW 251/21 is proving to be a pain in more ways than on. In ONE shot it completely eliminated a Maxim MG team. Also, related to the SPW 251/21 I tried to move an AT Rifle team into position to take it out and one of the guys in the team got hit. Wanna guess which one?  

As my parents always told me: praying helps. 😀

I've decided to move the Sherman down to overwatch the large park near Jagermeister. Maybe I'll see some infantry. Maybe even that damn SPW 251/21

I'm also starting to soften up the area around Berliner Weisse. I've gotten some sound contacts in a couple of buildings. So I area fire at one then move forward a little and put some flames on another. 

34_1.jpg

33_7.jpg

33_8.jpg

I don't understand yet why he's bringing this armored car forward. Maybe he's just trying to draw fire.

Once the Sherman is at the end of the street he spots some bad guys right away and fires on them. I didn't get any definite kills yet but they are cowering......so that's something. 

33_6.jpg

33_5.jpg

33_4.jpg

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I guess that's what I get for being gamey with the crews.

33_2.jpg

As soon as I read that you were going to try that, I said, "Nooooooooooo!" T-34/76s don't usually win spotting competitions  -- especially ones as lop-sided as this.😟

On using Soviet crews as foot soldiers, IIRC, some AG crews were expected to join in if they ran out of ordnance, or their vehicle got disabled. There are a couple of vehicles in the game that give the crew some SMG firepower and a lot of extra ammo in the vehicle. They can't acquire it, but if you can, say, park the vehicle behind their building the crew can make for a nice little corner defense team. They draw off the extra ammo as needed if the vehicle is close enough.

34 minutes ago, Macisle said:

As soon as I read that you were going to try that, I said, "Nooooooooooo!" T-34/76s don't usually win spotting competitions  -- especially ones as lop-sided as this.😟

I did the AAR for the base game release of Red Thunder. The situation was completely different but there was a point at  a critical time in the battle where I had a similar "what the heck did I do that for?" moment. 

29 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I did the AAR for the base game release of Red Thunder. The situation was completely different but there was a point at  a critical time in the battle where I had a similar "what the heck did I do that for?" moment. 

Yeah, we all do it sometimes. Just human nature, I guess. 🙂

15 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

As soon as I read that you were going to try that, I said, "Nooooooooooo!" T-34/76s don't usually win spotting competitions  -- especially ones as lop-sided as this.

Lol, that's my normal strategy!

I'll start today's post with some situational things.

I've moved a mortar team to have a view at most of the buildings surrounding the big park near Jagermeister.

I've also taken the AT in that park and moved it so that it can see down two sides of the park and between a couple of the buildings where the SMG Company (mostly) died and has a small window at the road he's been moving his armored car and tank up and down.

I've also spotted a couple of enemy units moving uncomfortably close to where my 2 platoons from 6th Company will be passing through soon.

31_4.jpg

32_1.jpg

32_2.jpg

Ugh. I never in a million years would have guessed that he'd come flying up like that. 

The silver lining is that I am pretty sure the OT accomplished it's mission. I see lots of bodies and heard screams from soldiers whose bodies I couldn't see. Was it a good trade? No. But still...it's something.

Then, right after he blows me up, he reverses back down the street. He did one of those "let me pop up there and see if I get a shot but back right out either way" moves.

30_3.jpg

30_8.jpg

30_9.jpg

30_7.jpg