Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

Thank you for taking the time to check out my side of the Fire and Rubble Beta AAR. Please keep in mind that “Beta” is in the title. That means that some things may look funky (technical term) from time to time. Expect anything like that to be cleaned up before release.

We’ve decided on a Meeting Engagement in Berlin. I don’t remember any previous Beta AARs being in an urban environment. That’s why we thought it might be fun.  

My OOB is:

SMG Company

-          2x SMG platoons

1x Sapper Platoon

2nd Rifle Battalion

-          3x Rifle companies

-          1x  Machinegun company

-          1x Mortar Battery

-          1x Antitank platoon

3x M4A2 (76) W Lend Lease Shermans

3x OT-34 (M1942) Flamethrower Tanks

3x SU-85 (Late) Tank Destroyers

3x T-34-85 (Latest) Medium Tanks

1x BA-64B Armored Car

1x IL- Element Light (he asked me to get a plane because he wants to shoot it down)

Here is an overview of the map

My set up is in Jagermeister. I’m working under the assumption that Ithikial_AU is setting up in the area of Vodka and that Berliner Weisse is up for grabs. We’ll see if my assumption is correct soon enough.

Russian setup 1.jpg

OK, so what’s the plan? I’m glad that you asked…………

I plan to move 5th Rifle Company along the southern edge of the map toward Berliner Wiesse . 4th Rifle Company will also advance on Berliner Weisse and take up an over watch position looking across the small open area nearby (I probably should have circle that area for this screenshot). I’ve decided to use these companies for that detail because I feel like they are more “flexible” units.

I am going to move the SMG Company and Sapper units toward Vodka. I want the SMGs that they carry to be the focus of my firepower as I get close to his stronghold.

6th Rifle Company is being held in reserve. I placed them in the rear mostly to get them out of the way and remove some clutter. They will be used to either defend my lair or advance toward the other objectives as needed.

I’ve taken all of my heavy weapons and set them up on my home base. All MGs are on the top floors of Jägermeister and ready to defend. I have also set up my mortars to be used for indirect fire.

Finally, what to do with all of that fun armor…….It’s hard to see but I have split them into 3 battle groups. One to support the 4th and 5th Rifle Companies, one group to support the Sappers and SMG Company and the third to hang back in reserve, along with 6th Rifle Company.

Questions?

Russian setup 2.jpg

Russian setup 3.jpg

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

I plan to move 5th Rifle Company along the southern edge of the map toward Berliner Wiesse . 4th Rifle Company will also advance on Berliner Weisse and take up an over watch position looking across the small open area nearby (I probably should have circle that area for this screenshot). I’ve decided to use these companies for that detail because I feel like they are more “flexible” units.

Why do you feel they are more flexible?

Which battle groups have which tanks? The flame tanks have the potential to really help out clearing buildings. 

1 hour ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Why do you feel they are more flexible?

Which battle groups have which tanks? The flame tanks have the potential to really help out clearing buildings. 

The SMG squads all have .....well....SMGs. The rifle squads have a mixture that is more heavy in longer rifles. If my assumption about his setup area is correct I am hoping that I don't engage him until I'm right on top of which. Those SMG squads are deadly in close but not as effective at longer ranges. The rifle squads can be more effective if I have to engage a distance, like in this screenshot (I know that's a sniper......it was just the only unit that I could find for a screenshot that could draw a line of fire so far). Since I'm less sure at what kind of range I'll engage with him at while going to Berliner Weisse I thought if was best to send the rifle unit. Maybe "more versatile" is a better adjective.

For now I have the armor sorted with 1 of each type in each of the groupings. They haven't moved yet so I may change my mind about that. 

Q1.jpg

Thanks for doing this. Big excitement!

One thing on the screenies...

It looks like you've got your graphic settings lowered. For better showcasing, it would be good to tap them up to max when taking screenies. Also, to assure max LOD, if you tap up to best, then zoom all the way in, then slowly tap to zoom out to your desired framing, you'll nurse the game engine to keep the best LOD it can.

Looking forward to more!

31 minutes ago, Macisle said:

Thanks for doing this. Big excitement!

One thing on the screenies...

It looks like you've got your graphic settings lowered. For better showcasing, it would be good to tap them up to max when taking screenies. Also, to assure max LOD, if you tap up to best, then zoom all the way in, then slowly tap to zoom out to your desired framing, you'll nurse the game engine to keep the best LOD it can.

Looking forward to more!

Thank you for the reminder! I just changed everything to the highest setting.

Also, Shift-Ctrl-Alt will do the same for the LODs as zooming in and out would do. So, frame the shot, Shift-Ctrl-Alt, screenshot will be the order of the day!

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

And are any/most of the buildings designed with internal doors...?

Best of luck in the fortcomming battle 😎

Any large, named structure will have adjoining doors in the Berlin maps. Anything else is considered a warren of apartments that would require at least one breach. There aren’t long corridors in these buildings running through the lengths of them.

That self-imposed rule holds for the master maps. Any map made from the big ones may be adapted, of course- that’s part of the point of including them. They will also be available in portions in quick battles, scenarios, and campaigns for those that want to avoid the Editor completely.

Edited by benpark

34 minutes ago, benpark said:

That self-imposed rule holds for the master maps. Any map made from the big ones may be adapted, of course- that’s part of the point of including them. 

Hello...

Yes...this is what i thought to be the case...

And it makes perfekt sence 🙂

Placing such doors on such huge maps as i undetstand these are would be a cruel task...

Designers can add those to the selected slizes for their scenarios...no problem there

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Any large, named structure will have adjoining doors in the Berlin maps. Anything else is considered a warren of apartments that would require at least one breach. There aren’t long corridors in these buildings running through the lengths of them.

Class work as ever Ben, really looking forward to having a mess with your maps.

HHHmmm......I didn't expect this. I didn't expect to spot any of his units less than 2 minutes into the battle. And I REALLY didn't expect them to be so close. It may be as much as a full platoon moving along the map to the North of my setup area. It could be less. Of the units that I saw I only spotted 1 or 2 men in each unit. So I don't know if they are teams or full squads. I didn't get a single shot off before they slipped out of my LOS.

1_28 1.jpg

I am starting to rethink what I should do with the SMG Company and the Sappers. Right now I am considering lining the SMG Company in these building and laying in wait for his arrival. If I do that I'll also issue hide and covered arc issues hoping to catch him at short range. I'd also want to pull the Sappers back because I don't want them getting tangled up in a mess like that. I'd also bring one of those OT-34s nearby. I'd be a little ascared of faust and shrecks though.

Because of the time difference with Ithikial_AU and I there is time to mull this over before I have to decide. 

1_28 3.jpg