Iron difficulty - lateral info sharing

I am just curious as somebody who plays his games on elite difficulty level, if cranking that up to iron would have an effect on information sharing.

Whats on my mind is that on that level, friendly units have to identify each other first. So I guess that lateral information sharing will take longer than on elite?

Because firstly they have to identify the friendly unit and only after that they can share data I guess.

Just asking to have a better understanding on how the game works.

Edited by Bufo

5 hours ago, Bufo said:

I am just curious as somebody who plays his games on elite difficulty level, if cranking that up to iron would have an effect on information sharing.   I guess that lateral information sharing will take longer than on elite? 

The speed of the information sharing would not be effected.  Iron just does a better job at showing what a fire team knows during the playback / action phase.  Elite and Iron both know the same information.  The display of said information is slightly different during and only during the playback / action phase.  Below is a link to a thread discussing Iron mode you might find interesting.  Photobucket vandalized the screenshots in that topic.    Then lower down this current post is something I copied/paste from the linked post.

With the exception of the action/playback phase Iron plays just like Elite.  You do not have to click through the chain of command, jumping from unit to unit to find the out of contact unit.  When you have no unit selected (highlighted) all your units are displayed, whether they are in or out of C2, just like in the other skill levels.  The difference between Elite and Iron is when you are in action/playback phase and you have a friendly unit selected.  In this situation you can only see what the selected friendly unit is aware of to include other friendly units.  This aids in the understanding of C2 and how C2, or the lack of it, plays a role in how this unit may react to different situations.  When you unselect the unit all your units are again displayed along with what information you have on OpFor units.  When you are in orders phase and you select a friendly unit all other friendly units remained displayed, just like in Elite.

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Doesn't buddy-aid take longer in Iron Mode (it always seems to, especialy when your dudes are getting shot at)?

Starting at warrior level the manual states that treating wounded soldiers takes a realistic amount of time (for a game I guess).   So it seems on Warrior, Elite and Iron skill settings buddy aid takes the same amount of time.  I don't think they would make buddy aid longer than realistic (again using their definition).  This was a surprise since I expected warrior to be quicker than Elite & Iron.      

It has been awhile since I looked at this closely but I think the following is broadly true.

Units need to be in contact to share information.

Voice contact extends to about 50m so at elite and iron units this far apart are essentially the same.

Longer visual contact from 50 to 90m requires friendly units to "spot" the other. This is much easier than spotting an enemy but not automatic at Iron.

The main issue slowing info sharing at Iron would be units not within 50m and either hiding, significant concealing terrain or blocked LOS preventing spotting.

I have never directly tested speed of sharing between Elite and Iron but it is fast enough on Iron that I doubt you would be getting significant advantage on Elite. The determining factor would be spotting ability at that 50m+ range.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

The main issue slowing info sharing at Iron would be units not within 50m and either hiding, significant concealing terrain or blocked LOS preventing spotting.

Just looking out the wrong side of a building breaks C2 on Iron. On Elite, it's enough to be able to trace a line to the building. Also crops etc often break it.

26 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Just looking out the wrong side of a building breaks C2 on Iron. 

Never thought about this one. Just started playing Iron yesterday. Thanks for the info, very useful.