Gus

foig

Hey Guys,

I have searched the forums to no avail, apologies if i've missed something.

I am playing Combat Mission BN v4.12 on a late 2013 macbook pro, and im curious to know if there is any advice to optimise the graphics settings for the game when playing on a macbook.

Im finding all the textures to be very low res and blurry. I have tried adjusting the graphics settings but anything past the middle settings and i see no improvment. The game runs smoothly it just looks really average. Is this simply a limitation of the computer or are there anyways i can optimise ?

Thanks so much for any help greatly appreciated, love the game!

Cheers

Gus

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 10:08 AM, foig said:

Im finding all the textures to be very low res and blurry.

That's probably just the way the game looks out of the box. When you see videos of people playing this game, they usually use a lot of texture mods to make the game look better.

Without at least one (but preferably several) screenshots it’s difficult to know if what you’re seeing is what is normal and what is some other issue.

I play on a 2012 MacBook Pro and with settings all maxed out I don’t see blurriness. If I’m counting bolts on a truck wheel close up yes, it will not be superbly crisp. 

Edited by Bud Backer

One other thing to be aware of... CM has a 'short draw distance' and items (trees, buildings, ground/grass, vehicles, etc.) will be replaced with very low res textures and low poly models only a short distance from the 'camera'. Going forward (on the map) a short distance and then coming back to the desired location on the map may draw a few more of these items in with more detailed models and textures that weren't originally there before moving the camera.

I'm not sure what the algorithm is to determine how much of a draw distance to have in the game. Sometimes this can be somewhat adjusted with 'Balanced' model and texture quality settings in the Options, but it generally appears to be a hard-coded behavior in the game. Higher-end video hardware doesn't really give you much of a change in draw distance, but significantly lower-end video hardware (typically built-in GPUs in chipset or CPU) will frequently see lower detail models and textures closer to the camera.

Edited by Schrullenhaft