is this the hedgrow bug v4????

Hi all, i know everyone is aware of the hedgerow version 4 bug where your troops run to their deaths etc, and i've noticed something similar while playing CMBN, only thing is there was no hedges and i'm using version 3 ????

will try and share via a youtube link

thought i'd record and share for the community as i read no one had captured and shared it before.

any thoughts?

Bubba.

• 3 weeks later...

ah, I've just mentioned this hedgerow bug affecting the King and Country campaign as thought the v4 patch had affected the campaign saved files somehow. Is anyone looking into fixing this problem? Makes a campaign hard to progress when your men keep deploying the wrong side of a hedge or wall and running towards the bullets!

On 6/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, Jaeger Jonzo said:

ah, I've just mentioned this hedgerow bug affecting the King and Country campaign as thought the v4 patch had affected the campaign saved files somehow. Is anyone looking into fixing this problem? Makes a campaign hard to progress when your men keep deploying the wrong side of a hedge or wall and running towards the bullets!

Yes it is being looked into, it has been reported in the official channels, everyone is awaiting a new patch to fix the problem.

I recently had a rage quit associated with the infantry movement bug. I had a squad of inf move into a building 30 ft away that was occupied by friendly troops. Instead of running straight through the back door they decided to run around the building to the front, and since this wasn’t enough to take casualties they decided to keep running in a big circular pattern before trying to run back towards the front door and all got mowed down. Also in just about every mission I play regardless of which CM title I am playing there is the odd bug where one member of the team becomes detached and just sits in one spot not following the rest of the squad.

I seem to remember reading in one of these many infantry bug threads that this issue was resolved like a year ago but BFC doesn’t release small patches. I’d be willing to pay $10 for the patch so BFC if you’re listening hit me up because this is a very annoying bug especially if there is already a fix for it.

21 hours ago, zmoney said:

I recently had a rage quit associated with the infantry movement bug. I had a squad of inf move into a building 30 ft away that was occupied by friendly troops. Instead of running straight through the back door they decided to run around the building to the front, and since this wasn’t enough to take casualties they decided to keep running in a big circular pattern before trying to run back towards the front door and all got mowed down. Also in just about every mission I play regardless of which CM title I am playing there is the odd bug where one member of the team becomes detached and just sits in one spot not following the rest of the squad.

I seem to remember reading in one of these many infantry bug threads that this issue was resolved like a year ago but BFC doesn’t release small patches. I’d be willing to pay $10 for the patch so BFC if you’re listening hit me up because this is a very annoying bug especially if there is already a fix for it.

I'd imagine it's been addressed with Fire and Rubble being so focused on urban warfare. I can then justify splashing out on SF2 which would be awesome.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:57 AM, AlanSA said:

I'd imagine [the AI bug]'s been addressed with Fire and Rubble....

I, personally, would be very careful about assuming the bug will be fixed anytime soon. It took the company almost 2 years to fix the HE bug from 3.0, and all that fix did was introduce this new (now too old) hedgerow bug. Or maybe both bugs are different manifestations of some singular root cause. Who knows. The point is, over the last 4-5 years BFC has been in no apparent hurry to fix what are often times game-breaking bugs.

The HE bug... the hedgerow bug... the bridge bug... the team-members-staying-behind bug... the halftrack-gunner / tank commander 'issue' (which I don't think can properly be called a bug, but is still pretty immersion-wrecking)... unbelievably stupid spotting anomalies (like the one discussed in rocketman's current thread)... and there are other issues I'm forgetting, too, I'm sure. Most of them, sadly, still exist, and that's despite literal years of discussion about them on this form.

I've been playing CM a little more lately, after a much needed hiatus, and all I can say is... yeah, I'm remembering why I needed to put the game down for awhile. It's very disappointing. Hopefully BFC can either get it together and fix these kinds of things, or just call it a day with CMx2 and move on to CMx3.

5 hours ago, sttp said:

I've been playing CM a little more lately, after a much needed hiatus, and all I can say is... yeah, I'm remembering why I needed to put the game down for awhile.

This is me. Every time I fire it up I play for a while then one of the bugs rears it’s ugly head and I get disappointed. This is the reason I won’t buy Rome to Victory or the latest west front game, nor will I buy anything else until they release a patch to fix the few super frustrating bugs in an otherwise amazing game. Seriously it’s like two or three bugs that are keeping me on the sidelines.

Yup, pretty much the same reason I haven't bought CMSF2 or anything else new.  I'd be deeply depressed trying to replay JOKER THREE with Marines constantly Keystone Kopsing around the complex streetscapes of Ramadi. When fellow realism junkies like @RockinHarry or @Kaunitz say it's safe to break 3.0 quarantine, I will. Not before then.

Men under fire, even panicked, should get their arses down and stay put *by default*, unless they're in the middle of a runway or something. I'd sooner see them 'grow' some microterrain not previously rendered, or even sink into the terrain mesh to reflect just how good humans are at at putting hard objects between themselves and incoming hot metal.

32 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Yup, pretty much the same reason I haven't bought CMSF2 or anything else new.  I'd be deeply depressed trying to replay JOKER THREE with Marines constantly Keystone Kopsing around the complex streetscapes of Ramadi. When fellow realism junkies like @RockinHarry or @Kaunitz say it's safe to break 3.0 quarantine, I will. Not before then.

Men under fire, even panicked, should get their arses down and stay put *by default*, unless they're in the middle of a runway or something. I'd sooner see them 'grow' some microterrain not previously rendered, or even sink into the terrain mesh to reflect just how good humans are at at putting hard objects between themselves and incoming hot metal.

Well, while there´s no really safe way to avoid some the TacAI´s pathing oddities (seperated pixelsoldiers, entering or exiting wrong doors etc), there´s a partial workaround for (human player) infantry retreating (evading) to unpleasant locations like towards enemy and such. I´d explained in more detail here ( @LongLeftFlank you know already  )

I can tell this method made some missions that I´d figured more or less unplayable in V4 CMBN/CMFB, becoming playable again. In many circumstances I found preventing my (defending) units to evade by use of instant pause command (or putting pause at an end waypoint - hitting P-key 10 times) decisive. I don´t want missing the new V4 scripting features, but people just playing (not designing) likely care less about them.

Edited by RockinHarry

the problem here is that the behaviour ruins a decent fight against the "AI" and suspension of disbelief is cancelled at that point when the enemy are gladly rushing towards you. And you can't issue orders to the "ai"

I spotted the bug within 30 minutes of playing the patch release back in the day (and reported with saves etc)

The only official Battlefront employees posting here have been happy to spend plenty of time espousing their beliefs regarding current military/political conflagrations or posting AARs about future modules requiring undying devotion to purchase; but FFS it's about time they started talking about what the dev is doing ( as he won't post here) on what he has done regarding a game breaking issue - I have spent fricking HUNDREDS of frickin dollars on investing in a system I expected would give me a fair fight (let alone time spent). And before the apologists butt in, I am specifically talking CMBN; although the behaviour can be observed in other modules.

Rant not nearly over. 

TL;DR:     talk to your customers (repeatedly) about their pain points or expect less income.  Or - declare that the residential support is useful but not as useful as the military dollar.

Man. This is like Cleese hating the Commies (and then told it's time for tea).

Edited by PIATpunk

11 hours ago, zmoney said:

This is me. Every time I fire it up I play for a while then one of the bugs rears it’s ugly head and I get disappointed. This is the reason I won’t buy Rome to Victory or the latest west front game, nor will I buy anything else until they release a patch to fix the few super frustrating bugs in an otherwise amazing game. Seriously it’s like two or three bugs that are keeping me on the sidelines.

I agree 100% I made the decision after CM SF2 about not buying a single Battlefront product untill they show some care about the reported issues and fix them or at least show some intention with a patch,. They seem to have time to post daily on Off Topic forum it seems they don´t to make a single post on here or the reported tank accuracy bug. This atitude leads me to move my money somewhere else and it is sad to say cause I own lot of Battlefront games and modules.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, sttp said:

I, personally, would be very careful about assuming the bug will be fixed anytime soon. It took the company almost 2 years to fix the HE bug from 3.0, and all that fix did was introduce this new (now too old) hedgerow bug. Or maybe both bugs are different manifestations of some singular root cause. Who knows. The point is, over the last 4-5 years BFC has been in no apparent hurry to fix what are often times game-breaking bugs.

The HE bug... the hedgerow bug... the bridge bug... the team-members-staying-behind bug... the halftrack-gunner / tank commander 'issue' (which I don't think can properly be called a bug, but is still pretty immersion-wrecking)... unbelievably stupid spotting anomalies (like the one discussed in rocketman's current thread)... and there are other issues I'm forgetting, too, I'm sure. Most of them, sadly, still exist, and that's despite literal years of discussion about them on this form.

I've been playing CM a little more lately, after a much needed hiatus, and all I can say is... yeah, I'm remembering why I needed to put the game down for awhile. It's very disappointing. Hopefully BFC can either get it together and fix these kinds of things, or just call it a day with CMx2 and move on to CMx3.

I suspect it's a manifestation of the same issue. In the Fire and Rubble DAR it's recently been confirmed that changes have been made. Please refrain from posting about it there and derailing the thread though

I agree there is valid criticism about the amount of time it takes to sort out bugs. Especially the more minor issues that aren't complicated and requiring time intensive play testing.  Still lets not lose sight of the fact a lot these bugs stick out because BFC gets so much right in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the issue isn't the bugs per se.  Its the length of time to get patches out to fix bugs.  BFC has gone into the mode of mostly not releasing fixes  unless its with a new module.  That means you can wait easily a year or more to get something significant fixed.  No one would taking about these issues if we got some kind of quarterly patch to clean up stuff that gets found. 

The so called 'running towards the enemy' issue seems to be to be linked to an old user request to have pixeltruppen evade incoming mortars. Which caused another problem which got fixed but then this popped up afterward. If you make a subtle fix to one issue you need to sit on it to see if unwanted behaviors appear elsewhere. BFC had fixed the bocage thing awhile ago then sat on it. And sure enough, something else popped up as a result which needed its own fix. BFC's intention to keep all title game engines up to the same standard has the effect of slowing down fixing of issues in individual titles. Back-in-the-day it was the 'wild west' with game patches and it was a struggle to reconcile the increasing number of titles.

Then the whole strategy of "a single game engine"  that isn't "a single game engine" is a broken as the day it was first revealed.  This is the first laptop where I haven't immediately installed all the CM games.  Steel Beasts and the Graviteam games are doing for me now.  It makes me sad.