Can I use new engine 04 serial to install red thunder engine 03?

I already own original dvd with red thunder and have I have re-downloadet red thunder from my battlefront account.

I do NOT want to upgrade to upgrade to engine 4.

My friend wish to play against me from his own pc. He does not own the game yet.

Is it possible for him to buy new download version of red thunder, to acquire serial code, and then he uses my downloaded red thunder engine 3 to install and then activate with his newly bought serial???

We are basically trying to avoid engine 4!

Best regards

Edited by pkanarki
Change title for better understanding

Thx for reply Erwin.

I think you misunderstand what I mean:

I am sure my original dvd, which is from pre-order is engine 3.

What I want to know is if my friend can go to battlefront website today and buy red thunder base game, and then use the serial he gets to install MY dvd engine 3?

I am asking because he has not bought yet.

we dont waste the money in case it is not possible!

When I look today at battlefront website, it says that red thunder is now base game engine 4!

Edited by pkanarki

The way the keys work is that they are assigned "assets". A purchase of the base game now will come with a key that activates both the original base game (Game Engine 3) and Game Engine 4. I have never tried it but, in theory, if he installed the original 3.0 base game the key would activate it. He can't download a new purchase today and get it to run as a 3.0 game. But he can/should be able to install the original 3.0 game and activate with a new key.

If he tries it and it doesn't work, have him open a ticket and I'll work some ninja voodoo magic and get him set up. Just make sure he mentions this thread so I know what he's talking about.

It is as Erwin says because of the ai bug that we want to avoid the 4.0.

Unfortunately my friend is not interested in the game.

I thought combat mission would be something for him. He is interested in ww2 and plays pc games. But he just looked at the game on youtube and complained that the graphics look old etc. Basically it did not seem to catch his interest. I was surprised, cause I thought he would love it.

I will have to find another friend/person.

So unfortunately I/we never got to try and see if it is possible to do what my original post-question was.

I really expected my friend to like the game, he is very much into ww2, and I thought I might finally have found someone who I could enjoy tcp lan games with. Too bad

4 hours ago, pkanarki said:

he just looked at the game on youtube and complained that the graphics look old etc

Yeah unfortunately 90 percent of the PC gaming community isn't interested in close-to-real-as-possible gameplay, but rather shiny looking arcadish ones suitable for 5 years old children like Command and Conquer and so on.

Part of the issue is that Combat Mission does not record well. I sometimes enjoy watching youtube AARs DARs, for example Josey Wales, however even I can find it quite boring at times.

So much of the game is in the mental planning and then seeing your execution and that tension generated by wondering "will the round hit" or rewatching a freak ricochet that kills the Coy Commander. When you are simply watching a video you do not get that and are left with some of the worst parts of the game. Another example is that I enjoy playing Chess and participated in sanctioned tournaments for 10 years or so. However, I will not ever watch a video of someone playing chess as I find it extremely boring because you lose so much of the game.

If you would like to "sell" the game to anyone I highly recommend that you get them the demo and perhaps assist them through it or let them mess around with it. SInce the player decision making process and then the reaction of the game is critical to how enjoyable CM is. Unfortunately as demos have become rarer it is increasingly more common for people to judge a game via video rather than hands on. If I had to judge CM via video I would likely have never played it.

Edited by com-intern
additional

10 hours ago, pkanarki said:

It is as Erwin says because of the ai bug that we want to avoid the 4.0.

I thought combat mission would be something for him. He is interested in ww2 and plays pc games. But he just looked at the game on youtube and complained that the graphics look old etc. Basically it did not seem to catch his interest. I was surprised, cause I thought he would love it.

I will have to find another friend/person.

So unfortunately I/we never got to try and see if it is possible to do what my original post-question was.

I really expected my friend to like the game, he is very much into ww2, and I thought I might finally have found someone who I could enjoy tcp lan games with. Too bad

Maybe he should try the demo. as @com-intern says, sometimes "getting behind the wheel" with a game makes all the difference.

I agree that it is very much a mental thing playing this game.

And yes, youtube does not serve the game justice, unless you have played the game yourself, I see that now.

Maybe I can persuade my friend to try the demo.

My backup plan is to have him come to my house, and I will have the game ready on two computers, with a pre-choosen scenario, and see if I can make him try.

Any good suggestions for a battle?

We wish to play cmrt tcpip Lan game, where it autopauses once a minute.

I think it atleast has to be a very small scenario with not to many units

Edited by pkanarki

The issue with a scenario is that both players will likely be capable of winning. I would suggest building a QB beforehand wherein your friend gets 4x to 5x your force. Essentially he should not be able to lose.

For example:

You have 1x Plt. of Soviet infantry, 1x platoon of T-34-76, maybe a mortar

Your friend has 1x Company of Panzer Grens, 2x Plt of Panthers or a Panther and Tiger platoon, and some 105mm guns on-call.

Essentially you are going to be more experienced and until he is up to speed you want to be able to at most give him a bloody nose but not really stop him. This will allow him to comfortably learn the game without being beat down by  a pro. After he is comfortable with the game you can start bringing things up to parity.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, pkanarki said:

This is sad reading, but it does underline the need for CM to keep improving. Falling this much behind does hurt sales - even when it comes to people who are genuinely interested and could become good customers. It's not only a case of "real serious intelligent gamers with good taste VS unwashed stupid masses".

If I tried to make a friend interested in this game, literally the first thing I would say would be "Ok, so it's a really old game and it looks bad, BUT..."

Edited by Bulletpoint