House design software

Erwin

There has been a lot of software over the years to do this. But, I don't know anyone who has adopted personal software to design something as costly and complex as a home. Sure, you can tinker with things and get ideas over a few drinks etc.. And have fun zooming around the would be house. Best to find the land you want to build on, buy it, and then engage local builders who know the regulations for that jurisdiction. Unless the requirements are very specific, buying large acreage and putting a modular home on it can be very cost effective.  But be mindful of the cost of tying into utilities and long driveways that require snow removal and other maintenance. While on a business trip years ago I downloaded landscape software just to kill time ... and that's all it did. 

Kevin

15 hours ago, kevinkin said:

...have fun zooming around the would be house.

Exactly. 

I agree re actual construction.  But, I was hoping to be able to build a simple 3D model on a computer that could be experimented with over the next year(s) making it easy to show to others so they understand better - easier than building a physical 3D model out of balsa wood and plastic and then having to change items.  But...  it seems that the state of the art for this sort of COTS design software is rather poor, or very complex.  Graph paper and pencil then...   :unsure:

My thinking is that after the last 2008 recession it was very easy to find contractors and negotiate good prices.  Up till Covid-19 contractors, plumbers etc. had become (again) very arrogant, busy and expensive.  I was charged $350/hour for two plumbers to come and fix a bathtub leaking problem in my house earlier this year - total $1,650 with a few parts thrown in.  Ridiculous.  A new recession might bring contractors etc. back down to earth.

Edited by Erwin

I think what started to happen in recent years is that tradesmen charge what they think you can afford to pay, and/or what they can get away with.  I noticed this starting in London some decades ago, but maybe in the last decade or so in Los Angeles.  It's become veru dog eat dog.  Am happy to be spending more time in rural areas these days where folks are still mostly honest and costs are more reasonable.  Eg: Car oil change in city was around $50, and but $30 in rural.

Edited by Erwin