Help with Peiper mission 1

I am failing the mission despite occupying the objective and killing all enemies within the objective. Apparently there are enemies hiding somewhere, causing me to fail the mission. Since Mission 1 requires you to kill all enemies and only gives 5 points for actually capturing the objective.

I have tried searching the entire landscape with squads and half-tracks and found no more enemies. I watched a youtube video where the user found no enemies outside the objective. My soldiers have covered the objective up and down and have searched all buildings in the objective area and some outside the objective. How is this possible, is the AI allowed to hide underground without firing or revealing their position?

Here is the youtube series showing that there are no enemy combatants outside the objective.

So it seems that enemy units are allowed to retreat and leave the map.

There are no enemy units. I think that is a joke. Poor mission design. I have to do the whole mission again and specifically place units in ridiculous areas to stop the enemy fleeing along the road or I have to play catch-up. That is one of the parameters of the mission. The main parameter.

Edited by AncientForest

Nothing in the brief about this. I didnt even know enemies could flee the map. The only way to know this is to fail the mission or cease fire and then to realize you have to go about it very differently than what the brief says.  I am thinking that every mission probably have fail points where the objective isnt clear or where the brief doesnt actually say what your actual mission is. You have to look at the scoring, only there will you get a hint.

It was total waffen SS loss. Or something similar. You get 5 points for the occupy objective, most points come from destroying american troops. So you cant win by simply occupying the town.

I just got total waffen SS victory with 17 minutes remaining. The American started fleeing the town almost immediately, before I even attacked (I had only a few mortars going), but I had my troops stationed along the road behind the town so they couldnt flee. That is how I won. I cant seem to take screenshots.

Edited by AncientForest

Now that I think about it, the Americans fled before my first mortar even hit the ground since they, all of them, were approaching my units in the forest before the first mortar even hit. They were flowing out of the town completely, none remained in the town. They were all killed as they approached my units outside the town.

• 3 months later...

Didnt see this topic when this came up before in another thread.

The US will withdraw from the crossroads and exit if you don't get a wriggle on. The road presents enough of a bottleneck that if you approach this overly cautiously, you may never see some proportion (or even all) of the Americans before the mission ends. The briefing dows warn about being too slow here. That doesn't mean that you have to be reckless - you have more than enough tools, if this is approached correctly.

The reason this came up is that I think this is a great example of what "remain mounted" means in the context of the Panzergrenadier Commandments.

A very valid approach to this mission is to send a platoon (possibly with attached weapons) to bypass the crossroads whilst still under the cover of darkness, setting up in a blocking position on the road.

If you dismount too early to build up for the attack, you can end up delaying the whole thing for too long and failing to get anywhere.