10 most historically accurate games, and ...

I follow a gamers Youtube channel called Gameranx and they have 5.7 million subscribers. They put up a top 10 most historically accurate games list and it was pretty much the usual suspects, big games and so on. As I was watching it I was cursing to myself why these channels never do wargames in a serious fashion, but guess what? Wait for it ....

... and yeah, 5.7 million people might get exposed to a REAL game series 😃

31 minutes ago, rocketman said:

I follow a gamers Youtube channel called Gameranx and they have 5.7 million subscribers. They put up a top 10 most historically accurate games list and it was pretty much the usual suspects, big games and so on. As I was watching it I was cursing to myself why these channels never do wargames in a serious fashion, but guess what? Wait for it .... .. and yeah, 5.7 million people might get exposed to a REAL game series 😃

+1.  NICE!!!  It was worth the wait.  Thanks for posting it. 

I bet a lot of people was like "Combat Whaaaat"? The channel has never mentioned CM before or games like Graviteam Tactics and so on. Nice way to make a first impression 🏆

Hey, they even pictured CM Touch :)

It would be interesting to see if there is a spike in sales in the near future.

I like that they said that the series encompasses both WWII and several modern era settings. Should appeal to more people then.

17 hours ago, rocketman said:

I follow a gamers Youtube channel called Gameranx and they have 5.7 million subscribers. They put up a top 10 most historically accurate games list and it was pretty much the usual suspects, big games and so on. As I was watching it I was cursing to myself why these channels never do wargames in a serious fashion, but guess what? Wait for it ....

Thanks rocketman! ( And thanks for calling me George)That is very cool!

It's wonderful PR for CM series.  But was wondering what criteria they used for "Accuracy" when they have "Assassin's Creed" in that list.  For that game, he talks about the accuracy of the backgrounds and locations.  Ditto for "Brothers In Arms".  However, "Assassins" features Superhero-like stunts - hardly "accurate".  "Brothers" as well as "Verdun" are FPS, and we know that those are not "accurate" games in the sense that this is not how RL soldiers perform.  

"Sturmovik" he likes cos of the controls and the aircraft graphics - and I suppose if one flies that in a realistic manner, that could also be the most "accurate" game.  "Crusader Kings" and "TW: ATTILA" are kinda fantasy strategy games as we know that something like that may have happened/existed, but there are no detailed records. But, by the same token one wonders why Oregon Trail was included and why Grigsby's massive opus "War In The Pacific Admirals Edition" which includes every single ship, every squadron and every land unit (all accurately modeled with correct detailed equipment OOB's for each month of each year) that took part in the Pacific War didn't get a mention?  (Started playing the Grand Pacific War scenario about 6 or 7 years ago, and am currently only up to 1943.)

"La Noire"  looks very interesting as a successor to the GTA series and now the faces of characters are so realistic that one can tell if they are lying or not during interrogations, and the 1940's locations are supposed to be very real.  As I lived n LA for many years I will most probably try this game out.

CM can't match the accuracy of the locations seen in "Brothers" but deservedly wins due to its more accurate AI and modeling of small unit human behavior in combat.  No other COTS game can compete.

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

It's wonderful PR for CM series.  But was wondering what criteria they used for "Accuracy" when they have "Assassin's Creed" in that list.  For that game, he talks about the accuracy of the backgrounds and locations.  Ditto for "Brothers In Arms".  However, "Assassins" features Superhero-like stunts - hardly "accurate".  "Brothers" as well as "Verdun" are FPS, and we know that those are not "accurate" games in the sense that this is not how RL soldiers perform.  

"Sturmovik" he likes cos of the controls and the aircraft graphics - and I suppose if one flies that in a realistic manner, that could also be the most "accurate" game.  "Crusader Kings" and "TW: ATTILA" are kinda fantasy strategy games as we know that something like that may have happened/existed, but there are no detailed records. But, by the same token one wonders why Oregon Trail was included and why Grigsby's massive opus "War In The Pacific Admirals Edition" which includes every single ship, every squadron and every land unit (all accurately modeled with correct detailed equipment OOB's for each month of each year) that took part in the Pacific War didn't get a mention?  (Started playing the Grand Pacific War scenario about 6 or 7 years ago, and am currently only up to 1943.)

"La Noire"  looks very interesting as a successor to the GTA series and now the faces of characters are so realistic that one can tell if they are lying or not during interrogations, and the 1940's locations are supposed to be very real.  As I lived n LA for many years I will most probably try this game out.

CM can't match the accuracy of the locations seen in "Brothers" but deservedly wins due to its more accurate AI and modeling of small unit human behavior in combat.  No other COTS game can compete.

They don't do their list from any kind of metrics or broad studies, just a subjective view from whay they've played/seen. I seriously doubt that they now about Gary Grigsby. Wargames to them are mostly FPS, RTS or flight sims.

You can probably find LA Noir for a bargain price. It is good but I felt that they didn't use the city enough like GTA does. 

On 4/27/2020 at 11:15 AM, rocketman said:

Number one! How excellent...

Thats a nice bit of publicity! Glad to see CM in the number one spot where it rightfully belongs in my humble opinion. 

Although careful what you wish for. With the increased publicity, I can already see the forum posts from confused newbies asking why this game isn't more like Starcraft! (Tongue in cheek of course)