CMFI intel sharing bug?

AlanSA

CMFI seems to have gone haywire on me. In the 'Gateway to Palermo ' scenario, after initially working fine units stopped sharing spotting intel either up through the chain of command or horizontally despite being in contact. Below are two pics illustrating the problem as the Sherman will not share it's Panzer spotting to it's HQ despite being in contact. I tested it for over ten minutes and the icon never popped up. This is affecting all units.

Reloading an earlier save 5 minutes into the game and the intel sharing works properly. So too reloading the scenario entirely. At least for the first few minutes tested.  

I further tested to see if it was perhaps a graphical issue and intel was in fact being shared. However that didn't seem to be the case as the Sherman who should have been informed about the location of the Panzer had a tough time spotting it taking 3 hits before positively identifying it.

Can upload a save game if required.

Meduim tank S1.png

Meduim tank HQ s1.png

The info sharing system is buggy in some ways. I tested it before. If an enemy tank moves, its updated contact marker will never get shared through C2. Maybe that's what's happening in your example too.

In your example, notice how the HQ has an enemy tank marker kust above it, in front of the white building. That's probably the marker for the same enemy tank as the other Sherman knows now moved ahead. But it's unable to share this new info.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that's a different tank spotted by the HQ Sherman earlier.

The significance of this bug depends on if the contact info, including current location, is being shared and it's just not showing or if the info is not being fully shared.

Did the problem crop up every time in your tests? Info sharing was working fine initially in this scenario.

Tank commander injured - have you checked the radio is not out of action for that tank? You can view that via the damage section under the 'spanner' icon. Looking at image on my phone so can't tell if CO unbuttoned but if not try unbuttoning him (unless risk of being KOd) see if that makes any odds. I've also noticed that if vehicles move you can lose radio comms for a short while till they re tune to the net. 

This is actually not a bug. Units with information about a particular enemy unit will share that information with friendly units in C2 that have no information about that particular enemy unit, but once that happens the receiving unit will have to rely on it's own eyeballs to update position information as there is no continuous tracking and updating of position information via C2.

2 hours ago, AlanSA said:

What would rational behind that be? Or is it simply an engine limitation.

I have to be careful because of the NDA. But essentially it's that units in real combat during WW2 did not provide a continuous play-by-play on the position and status of every single enemy unit they can see to every friendly unit they are in contact with. If they can actually see an enemy the enemy can at least potentially see them back, so getting on the radio to tell Lt. Scrub "you know that Panther that was parked next to the barn? It drove 120 meters to the southwest, stopped and killed 3 of my men. Thought you'd like to know" would usually not be a priority.

If course that doesn't mean that sort of information was never shared in the heat of battle. A dismounted squad of Soviet tank riders that was just in LOS of a German tank is certainly going to tell the T-34 crew all about it when they mount back up. But the game doesn't do that. Personally I think the current model is too conservative to be of much use but that's just me.

19 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I have to be careful because of the NDA. But essentially it's that units in real combat during WW2 did not provide a continuous play-by-play on the position and status of every single enemy unit they can see to every friendly unit they are in contact with. If they can actually see an enemy the enemy can at least potentially see them back, so getting on the radio to tell Lt. Scrub "you know that Panther that was parked next to the barn? It drove 120 meters to the southwest, stopped and killed 3 of my men. Thought you'd like to know" would usually not be a priority.

If course that doesn't mean that sort of information was never shared in the heat of battle. A dismounted squad of Soviet tank riders that was just in LOS of a German tank is certainly going to tell the T-34 crew all about it when they mount back up. But the game doesn't do that. Personally I think the current model is too conservative to be of much use but that's just me.

Thanks. It's always a balancing act trying to get an realistic representation of battle with these things.

I agree that's it's too conservative. Rather jarring that a squad in a quiet sector can't inform, face to face, another unit of an enemy's current position if that unit's older position was already reported. Especially when that's exactly what you've envisioned them doing as part of your overall battle plan. 

If possible maybe have whether location intel is shared based on whether communicating units are currently engaged or not.