Error message: cause and solution?

PhilM

This is a CMFI-based problem, but posted here as it may have a wider relevance ...

I had thought CMFI (all my titles ...) to be operating normally: they have for years (literally). Then had an issue with all titles having a (mysteriously, to me) delayed start-up after a Mac OS update (raised at the time in a separate thread): this seemed to have "gone away" after just letting the titles "rest", whilst being labelled as "not responding", until they eventually sprang into (delayed) life.

Trying to start a CMFI PBEM game and save off the first turn, I got this (attached screenshot file, which will hopefully show up here) error message, which I've never had / seen before ...

"Trying again" doesn't do anything ...

No changes to any of the CM files made (knowingly) by me.

Any ideas??

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 16.14.08.png

Edited by PhilM
clarity

I tried to set up the battle, @PhilM and had no problem. Mind you CMFI is the one game I have on the PC and not my Mac (because I have other copies of CMFI on the Mac). 

Couple of thoughts:

• I have had issues on RARE occasions with things like this if I haven't rebooted my computer for a long period of time - and just keep putting it to sleep and waking it up later. Usually they clear up with a fresh boot. This is true of windows and MacOS.
  • Check that the outgoing file isn't there from an attempt you made earlier. While I've never had trouble with this with MacOS, I have had windows versions of the game refuse to save the file if an identically-named one is extant.
  • I can set the battle up. Tell me which side you want and let's see if it works properly.

I was going to play the Axis side ... if that's OK with you.

(And thanks for your email, also ...)

There's definitely no extant save file of the same (nor any other) name, so it's not that ...

And, for other reasons, I recently shut down and re-started the iMac, so that doesn't seem to apply either ...

Aren't computers wonderful!

Thanks for the file ... but no, still doesn't work.

I can load it, fill in a password ... but when I try to save file 002, I get the same error message as shown above when I was trying to save the file 001 from me initiating the battle.

Stuck ...

Hmmm ... I wonder if it's something as simple (???) as the filename, and an odd coincidence of the battle I chose??

I tried another battle at random, and can save a file 001 for that, as I would have expected.

But this one: the file loads with this name displayed on screen:

But then tries to save it showing the (correct, AFAIK) umlaut (?) character, as does the error message ...

Is it this discrepancy causing the problem, with this battle (name) only?

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 20.23.23.png

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 20.22.59.png

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 20.23.09.png

Edited by PhilM

Yep, I think it's the name thing ...

If I don't use the default savefile name suggestion, containing the umlaut-ed "a", but instead re-spell it with a plain "a", the file saves OK.

So my Mac (all Macs?) doesn't seem to like trying to save a battle filename which uses an umlaut ...

Presumably why the characters in the name in the loading screen (and in the battle list screen) are different and don't use the umlaut?

Did BF purposely change this? Or has my Mac "done" something to the default BF filename data?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 11:49 PM, Bud Backer said:

Everything is working from my end, so I think the name thing is the issue

Hey @Bud Backer ... if you were going to demolish the whole town, I think the regulations require that you apply for the relevant permit before you begin ... 😊