North Italy QB maps

I've been working on a series of QB maps - starting with large-huge base maps, which I am slicing up, adding AI plans, to make QB maps of various sizes.

It's still in progress, but I have been quite pleased with the latest base map, around 2.5km square, of rolling cropland. There is lots of patchy scattered cover, but also frequent avenues of long-range LOS. I found the result of this latest one quite picturesque...

Cropland_01.png?dl=1

The land descends gently from the north, through gently rolling fields.

Cropland_02.png?dl=1

As it descends, there are occasional low escarpments, offering views of the surrounding countryside.

Cropland_03.png?dl=1

Scattered amongst the fields, there are one or two patches of open woodland.

Cropland_04.png?dl=1

Spend the afternoon wandering pretty shaded paths.

Cropland_05.png?dl=1

The roads are generally good in this part of Italy.

Cropland_06.png?dl=1

And here and there are some delightful Italian farmhouses and farm complexes.

Cropland_07.png?dl=1

Some of them are quite modern.

Cropland_08.png?dl=1

Others with a historical feel.

Cropland_09.png?dl=1

For the well-heeled businessman, or an ex-GI flush with looted Nazi treasure, enjoy a stay in this charming part of Italy...

If you're interested, here are some slices of other QB maps, set as 'tiny' size, which I have been playing in RT and having a jolly time.

Frey%20Byte%2013%20%5BGE%5D%20-%20Mounte

Frey%20Byte%2011%20%5BGV%5D%20-%20Agri%2

Frey%20Byte%2012%20%5BGE%5D%20-%20Open%2

Frey%20Byte%2001%20%5BOA%5D%20-%20Open%2

Frey%20Byte%2014%20%5BRC%5D%20-%20Forest

Frey%20Byte%2009%20%5BDF%5D%20-%20Agri%2

Frey%20Byte%2008%20%5BOF%5D%20-%20Rural%

Frey%20Byte%2007%20%5BGE%5D%20-%20Mounta

I've been focusing on the more developed agricultural land more typical of the North - the QB maps that come with CMFI seem to better represent the under-developed south.

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm always interested in any and all new maps.....Those do look very nice.  B)

Here we go :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9garry91kpdf5ql/Frey_CMFI_Maps_BETA_01.zip?dl=1

These are some of the slices, as well as the master maps.

The master maps have no AI or setup zones. The slices have defender AI only for attack maps, and AI plans each way (usually only one at the moment) for the ME maps.

When making the maps, I tried to think only of what looked like realistic rural terrain, with no thought to how they might play. Then I tried to pick interesting slices for the QB maps.

It's still a work in progress - and now that I am becoming more confident with the AI, there will be many more to follow - but have fun and let me know if you enjoy them.

[oops - download link fixed I hope]

Edited by Freyberg

1 hour ago, Bud Backer said:

I am mentioning the following in case I am not the only one: none of your images above display for me. That’s a pity.

Hmmm.. they're on dropbox and they're PNGs - I need to remember to save as JPG but I always forget and the Mac defaults to PNG

I don't think PNG is the issue. I'm on a Mac too. I can download the images, if I right click in Safari and then click download. Never used dropbox as an image host before so I don't know how to do it right, but the URL I see is what would be needed for a link to an direct download ("=1"). When it is "=0" its not an auto-download, it takes one to the dropbox page and one has to then click on the file there. 

Edited by Bud Backer

On 4/12/2020 at 1:26 AM, Bud Backer said:

I don't think PNG is the issue. I'm on a Mac too. I can download the images, if I right click in Safari and then click download. Never used dropbox as an image host before so I don't know how to do it right, but the URL I see is what would be needed for a link to an direct download ("=1"). When it is "=0" its not an auto-download, it takes one to the dropbox page and one has to then click on the file there. 

Sorry, I don't know why they aren't displaying - I was careful to set " dl=1 " because I've made that mistake in the past...

28 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

They are looking very nice, the colours are so reel.

I like the little hills, CM maps are too flat sometimes, thank you to share it!

I'll have a lot more later, properly set up with thumbnail, descriptions etc (I'll try and add attacker AI plans, though I seldom play as defender).

I'm living in a rural area these days, and I've noticed that even the flattest-looking land is never truly flat...

48 minutes ago, Freyberg said:

I'll have a lot more later, properly set up with thumbnail, descriptions etc (I'll try and add attacker AI plans, though I seldom play as defender).

I'm living in a rural area these days, and I've noticed that even the flattest-looking land is never truly flat...

I find, the vegetation and the contour lines are well distributed, will be happy to play them !