Upgrading from MacOS 10.6 to 10.15

What is the best way to upgrade from 10.68 (Snow Leopard) to 10.15 Catalina? The original install is on a 2009 Mac Mini; the new install will be on an iMac 2019 5K 3.1 GHz 6 core. I bought both CBMN plus Commonwealth Forces and Market Garden, and then Red Thunder in their 1.0 versions; the subsequent engine upgrades to 3.0 worked, but after that no joy. So I never went beyond that.

I sent some of the files via Bluetooth to the iMac but hesitate going further lest I screw something up. Would it be more efficient and less touble to just repurchase the games and the  modules?

Thanks

You could not install them, purchase the version 4 upgrades for each, and assuming you have your original v 3 keys you can license new downloads of the version 4 all in one installers that will get you up to date. 

If for some reason you don't have your original sales and license information, the help desk can help you with that and get you up and running.

I think that will do it for you.

CM runs just fine in Catalina. The only thing odd is that when you try to run the installer it will seem like it hangs. Wait it out (a couple minutes, maybe 3) and you will get an error message - something about not being able to determine if it's free from malware. Cancel that, go to System Preferences/Security and Privacy and click on Open Anyway. Then it will verify, and stop again, and you'll have to do that again before it installs it. After that it's fine. It's a thing about Battlefront not being a registered developer with Apple. There's no issue with the software.

Thanks Dave,

I assume that "you count NOT install them" means to install them. I believe I have all the original info.

Looking back the 3.0 installs did not go well, and I had to open a ticket, but the help did not work either.

I remember trying to do all the upgrades in order several times; it was a lot of time consuming work only to fail at the end with the 3.11 upgrade and the activation failure - I think I lost interest about there: 2014.

Perhaps there is a list somewhere of the patches and upgrades and the order in which to apply them to both RT and CMBN.

This is WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

The 4.0 installers are 'all-in-one' installers currently. They'll install everything that is available for that game (modules, packs, patches, etc.). Activation can be a bit confusing though since you would need the 3.0 and 4.0 license keys and any module license keys and the game may not work correctly until you have enough of the required license keys activated. You do NOT have to activate everything for this installer to work (though you would obviously need to have purchased the 4.0 Upgrade), but you do need the 4.0 and 3.0 Upgrade license keys at a minimum.

There is an 'all-in-one' installer for CMBN for the 3.0 Upgrade, which covers up to CMBN 3.12 (the latest 3.x version). Log into the Battlefront Store and look at your orders. If you purchased it close to the release date it should be 2014. The download link for the CMBN 3.0 Upgrade should link you to the 'all-in-one' installer. When you initially launch the game you can provide one of the license keys you have (preferably the 3.0 Upgrade one). Pay attention to what the 'green box' says when you successfully activate. This is indicating what has been activated. There should hopefully be a link on the desktop to 'Activate Modules'. This is an activation link for activating anything for that game (upgrades, modules, packs, etc.). Launch this and provide your other module and pack license keys. With the 3.0 Upgrade I don't know if you have to provide the 2.0 Upgrade and/or the base game's license keys or not. Again, pay attention to the green boxes that get listed once you've successfully activated something. They will NOT tell you what you need to activate yet, but just what you HAVE activated.

For CMRT, your download should link to the 1.03 installer, which should be the latest version for the '3.0' series. CMRT 1.x is using the 3.0 engine, CMRT 2.x is using the 4.0 engine. Since I assume you're not using any 4.0 Upgrades, then CMRT would only require its original license key to get working.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

The CM games do NOT use any sort of disc-based copy-protection (not since CMAK). The 'all-in-one' installers are all you need to download (in your case the 'Upgrade 3.0' installers). Just make sure you have all of the necessary license keys for what you have purchased in order to activate again.

This is the Helpdesk article about installing and licensing CMBN 3.0 with the all-in-one installer.

What he said. As long as you have your license keys, you'll be able to enter the licenses. The all in one installers install everything, then when you start the game you'll get an activation screen. Inside the application directory, there is a script "Activate new products"  It isn't quite clear from the help desk article that the script is within the directory you install the CM into. You can run that shell script and it will start up that activation screen again to enter another license key. You'll have to keep running that script once for each license key.

Edited by Ultradave

I'm giving up once again - all the advice works, then fails on the next run. and that is just up to the first activation which proclaims the game does not exist; RT just ends up in a black screen. There is just too many varied steps depending on various approaches to various parts. Seamless, it is not.

Phil at the help desk years ago, went through all the possibilities he could think of but none worked then as now.

If I were to go forward, it would be with new purchases - as the old simply are too involved, complex. and usually prone to failure, leading to frustration and a colossal waste of time to no fruitful end.

Thanks for your help guys,

Chris

So you have CMBN 3.x and CMRT 1.x, correct ? Have you read this thread on Mac Catalina 10.15.4 ? There appear to be some issues with the way that Catalina 'trusts' applications and delays their startup.

As for licensing, what license keys have you activated ? For CMRT it should only be the base game (since you don't have the 4.0 Upgrade or the 'Battle Pack', I assume). The above link may suggest a work-around of sorts for CMRT. For CMBN and activating it, you may need to have activated more license keys to get the game to actually run (2.0 and 3.0 Upgrade keys at a minimum, I believe). Also, you can't simply launch the game to activate the license keys. That may work on the first key used, but subsequent keys will need to use the 'Activate New Products' link (that exists within the Application folder for the game) that Ultradave mentioned above. If you just launch CMBN after activating one license key, then you're going to get the error you saw.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

2 hours ago, poorfish said:

Tried all that and just does not work for me. Too many license keys, parts, pieces, exceptions, wasted time, repeated failure. Thanks again.

I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you. I've helped a friend with a recent iMac, and I have a MacBook Pro myself. 

I've seen the black screen with CMRT upon completing install and licencing. The fix is unintuitive as you'd not expect to need to do it, but actually quite easy, and literally requires nothing more than copying a file. 

https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/136663

In short:

1) Right click on the application (CM Red Thunder), and click COPY

2) PASTE the application to your desktop. 

3) Delete the original

4) Copy the desktop version back to the CMRT install folder

This has fixed the issue every time, assuming the install and licencing is done correctly in the first place. I hope it works for you. 

Edited by Bud Backer

• 9 months later...