Thread for Khalkin Gol, SCW and early GPW research

Was trying to find some GPW or right before Russian training films and struck gold, when I found Part 2 of a restored  1940 one called "Rear of a Tank Battalion". Am only slightly joking about people needing spare underwear on hand, for the content is staggering in depth and breadth. More like total immersion. This film apparently was a silent film and uses a mix of film and animation to convey the required info. Tanks are T-26 single turret and the command tanks as well with radio. This is how the Rear operates in the overall context of the Tank Battalion, whose combat actions most definitely are shown.

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/rear of a tank battalion

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

3 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Was trying to find some GPW or right before Russian training films and struck gold, when I found Part 2 of a restored  1940 one called "Rear of a Tank Battalion". Am only slightly joking about people needing spare underwear on hand, for the content is staggering in depth and breadth. More like total immersion. This film apparently was a silent film and uses a mix of film and animation to convey the required info. Tanks are T-26 single turret and the command tanks as well with radio. This is how the Rear operates in the overall context of the Tank Battalion, whose combat actions most definitely are shown.

https://www.dailymotion.com/search/rear of a tank battalion

Regards,

John Kettler

Never saw anything like this, John. Gold indeed. Thanks for digging it up.

Aragorn2002,

You're most welcome. Am hoping I can find more, but so far, that film is the only one of its type. Was given soneresource tips by a CoC guy I'm sure is Russian. Haven't had a chance to explore them yet, but I've got a good feeling, and I trust that.

Bulletpoint,

Had temporarily forgotten about that. Probably didn't register as much on me because I'm used to the expression as a translation of tyl, which Google translate says means back but in every translation I've seen of the military term it's always rear.

Regards,

John Kettler

The top link has gobs of goodies, but it sells footage, just like Periscope Films, for example. The site name is on all of it, and the timer, too. No large view frame, either.Presumably the sold footage won't have the timer. The second has lots of films, including an astounding number released in 2020, but relatively few have English. Recommend STarMediaEN YT channel for those.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Though this war film (translated title "Red Tanks") is not a training film per se, as best I can tell, at worst it's about one remove away, for it's extremely tank heavy, has real ATGs and FA, too. Though it's a 1939 film, the enemy is Germans, regardless of some cute insignia. The actual armored fun starts at ~15:50 when the alert is called. Where the tank battalion training film above was T-26 based. This time it's the BT-7, whose mobility and agility are sights to behold. Russian language only, but it's still treadhead gold.

Regards,

John Kettler