Leader Sub-machine guns

1 hour ago, usgubgub said:

I have been wanting to ask this question for ages: why are leader sub-machine guns never picked up with buddy aid? Light machine guns are always picked up. I would have thought SMGs would be equally valuable.

I can't believe I've never picked up on that. My focus has always been on the binoculars... blinded to anything else I guess.

3 hours ago, usgubgub said:

I would have thought SMGs would be equally valuable.

In the game, SMG's seem to be very valuable due to the short ranges and LOS featured on most maps which are small.  The game makes one wonder why all armies were not almost exclusively issued with SMG's with only a few sniper rifles in the mix.

IIRC... In RL, rifles were more valuable as ranges of engagements were longer.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:56 PM, Erwin said:

In the game, SMG's seem to be very valuable due to the short ranges and LOS featured on most maps which are small.  The game makes one wonder why all armies were not almost exclusively issued with SMG's with only a few sniper rifles in the mix.

IIRC... In RL, rifles were more valuable as ranges of engagements were longer.

Also, the problem is that SMGs in this game are arguably too (?) effective at their max ranges (about 200m).

At the same time, rifles in this game are very ineffective at 300m, so they don't really get much benefit from their extra 100m range compared to the SMGs.

In total, this makes the SMG seem like a better alround deal than it should be.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Same here.

I found the only one that can pickup SMG is the one with pistol.

I think for the WW 2 title ,the game treat SMG, Bolt Action rifle, Semi-auto rifle and ATR as same tier weapon.  So a Soviet rifleman cannot pickup PTRS-41 , a German Leader with MP40 cannot pickup G43.

Rifle with scope, MP44, Bazooka , panzerschreck and LMG are tier one weapon with high priority to be picked up, they can be picked up by a rifleman or SMG gunner.

Flamethrower cannot be picked up by anyone 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:34 AM, Bulletpoint said:

Also, the problem is that SMGs in this game are arguably too (?) effective at their max ranges (about 200m).

Yeah, me thinks the same...SMG's should be effective at around 40-100 meters (CMx1 reflects this nicely), and much less so from 100-200 meters.

Edited by JoMc67

10 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Yeah, me thinks the same...SMG's should be effective at around 40-100 meters (CMx1 reflects this nicely), and much less so from 100-200 meters.

Current problems with SMGs in CM, as I see it:

• They are too effective from 100 to 200m.
  • They fire too long bursts at longer ranges.
  • At shorter ranges, they don't adjust their aim while firing a long burst (walking the fire on to target or hosing down target locations)

If the SMG ammo disappears from the unit's inventory, they will almost never pick up the SMG, probably because they don't want to pick up a weapon they have no ammo for.

The guy with the pistol will pick up the SMG because he at least has a few rounds available, thus making the SMG 'useful' for him.

On 4/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, Erwin said:

Yes.  I regularly use crews with pistols as medics as then they will PU SMG's as well as other weapons.

Vehicle Crews and XO teams make for great medics. I once had a US Co XO Team armed with a Thompson, a BAR, an M1919A6, a Garand, and a Bazooka.

Made me feel like I had Rambo on my team!

29 minutes ago, General Jack Ripper said:

they don't want to pick up a weapon they have no ammo for.

Wasn't sure what you meant...  Most crews won't have rifle or MG ammo, but they still will pick up rifles and MG's in the same way they PU SMG's.  The ammo will come from the unit they are giving medical aid to.  (I cannot recall if I ever saw a crew PU a weapon and still have no ammo for that weapon.)

On 4/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, Erwin said:

Wasn't sure what you meant...  Most crews won't have rifle or MG ammo, but they still will pick up rifles and MG's in the same way they PU SMG's.  The ammo will come from the unit they are giving medical aid to.  (I cannot recall if I ever saw a crew PU a weapon and still have no ammo for that weapon.)

Yes, but for SMG's in particular things seem quite different. Most vehicle crews I use as medics already have a carbine or rifle.