Effects of Wet Ground

Hey Guys, I'm playing "Sonny Day" scenario and there is wet ground. I'm not really clear on what impact that has on tank/halftrack movement or on infantry for that matter.

Do I pretty much have to stick to the roads or can I use the terrain. I would guess if the latter it would be slow with the possibility of getting stuck?

Thanks,

Joe

First, damp ground inhibits kicked-up dust when firing your cannon and traveling a dirt road, with associated spotting benefits. I'm pretty sure it increases the chance of bogging too. On wet ground I try hopping from hard/rocky terrain to hard/rocky terrain rather than moving across big stretches of grass and plowed fields.

Come on, give the guy a proper answer.

The wetter the ground, the higher the risk of bogging and imobillisation.

"Wet" ground has a pretty high risk of getting your tanks and halftracks stuck. It doesnt make the vehicles slower though. Think of it as a kind of russian roulette.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

The wetter the ground, the higher the risk of bogging and imobillisation.

That's correct.  Also, inf will tire more quickly if moving QUICK or FAST.

What is confusing is that BF has stated that the AI automatically controls the speed of a vehicle.  So, it seems that you may as well run a vehicle FAST all the time and the speed will be adjusted automatically like when breaking through fences or going over bad terrain.  The only reason to manually change the speed of a vehicle is when going around bends (better to use QUICK or MOVE) for most efficient cornering, and of course if you specifically want the vehicle to HUNT or SLOW move.  

Hey Guys, thanks so much for the info! 🙂

Ok, so, it sounds like going off the road in this scenario will be slow and risk bogging for vehicles and will be slow and tire infantry units, but it *can* be done.  Or, maybe it doesn't make vehicles slower?

It also sounds as if you want to find some rocky or hard terrain if you can to avoid bogging as much as possible.

I mean, the alternative here is to cruise down the road which you just *know* is sighted and, maybe registered. Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess.

Does that sound about right?

Edited by joethejet

5 hours ago, joethejet said:

Hey Guys, thanks so much for the info! 🙂

Ok, so, it sounds like going off the road in this scenario will be slow and risk bogging for vehicles and will be slow and tire infantry units, but it *can* be done.  Or, maybe it doesn't make vehicles slower?

Yes, re leg units.  Going offroad will slow a vehicle and the worse the terrain the slower it gets with higher % chance of bogging/immobilizing.  But, manually setting waypoints to slower speeds over (say) muddy ground doesn't reduce bogging % since the AI driver will automatically reduce speed no matter what speed you set.

It also sounds as if you want to find some rocky or hard terrain if you can to avoid bogging as much as possible.

Hard is probably better, but IIRC "Rocky" can be very bad for vehicles' wheels and tracks.  You'll learn by experience..

I mean, the alternative here is to cruise down the road which you just *know* is sighted and, maybe registered. Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess.

When crossing wet/muddy terrain the chance of a vehicle bogging or getting immobilized is higher.  You have to decide if the risk is worth it.

On 3/28/2020 at 9:15 PM, Erwin said:

What is confusing is that BF has stated that the AI automatically controls the speed of a vehicle.  So, it seems that you may as well run a vehicle FAST all the time and the speed will be adjusted automatically like when breaking through fences or going over bad terrain.  The only reason to manually change the speed of a vehicle is when going around bends (better to use QUICK or MOVE) for most efficient cornering, and of course if you specifically want the vehicle to HUNT or SLOW move.  

The question this raises is how is % chance of bogging calculated.

E.G. If there is a test every X seconds of whether you will be bogged then it would behoove you to move FAST at all times to minimize the number of checks against the vehicle.

2 hours ago, com-intern said:

If there is a test every X seconds of whether you will be bogged then it would behoove you to move FAST at all times

My approach is to play in as realistic a manner as one can rather than seek to "break the system".  My comment about moving FAST all the time (unless doing tactical maneuvering) is there is no reason to waste valuable play time by having to make multiple time-wasting clicks on extra waypoints to "drive" a vehicle carefully (ie: SLOW) simply cos it is crossing a fence, bushes or muddy ground.

6 hours ago, com-intern said:

The question this raises is how is % chance of bogging calculated.

E.G. If there is a test every X seconds of whether you will be bogged then it would behoove you to move FAST at all times to minimize the number of checks against the vehicle.

Yeah, except if the odds of bogging go up if you're moving faster. I would think this would be the case.

My understanding from years-old discussions about this issue is that the AI driver automatically adjusts speed taking into the account the ground conditions or whether the vehicle is crashing thru a fence etc. regardless of what you have ordered for the next waypoint.  

If anyone at BF, or who has done tests, can tell us different that would be very helpful/useful info. 

I used to place waypoints on either side of a fence or bushes and have a vehicle move SLOW as it crosses that terrain feature thinking that it would reduce damage and chances of immobilization.  Now I don't waste my time doing that and have units move QUICK or FAST all the time (unless there is a tactical reason to go slower).