Combat Mission 3, Afrika Korps

I responded last week to your same question in this thread. I believe (but I haven't checked specifically) that the copies of CMBO, CMBB and CMAK purchased from Battlefront directly MIGHT work under Windows 10 (a simple disc-check copy-protection system). CDV and Paradox sold CM games in the retail channel (what you may have bought from a brick-and-mortar store or other sites online). These copies use a different copy-protection scheme that DOES NOT work under Windows 10 to my knowledge (SafeDisc). This would prevent the games from working. I believe CDV may have offered an 'Anthology' pack of the CM games that lacked any copy-protection and those copies could potentially work (though I think the CMAK game doesn't have the latest patch in this particular release).

As GerryCMBB pointed out, if your copy isn't working, then you could purchase the Gog.com distribution which has no copy-protection and will work under Windows 10.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

• 2 months later...

Related question: Can a person using the GOG versions play-by-email or TCP/IP against someone using the original Battlefront versions? Are there any compatibility issues between the various published versions as far as PBEM or TCP/IP, provided both players are running with the last patches? I have a friend who is thinking about buying the GoG versions so he and I can PBEM or TCP/IP. I have the original Battlefront versions. I'm thinking the GoG version would be the best way to go for a newbie player, correct?

Another question: Firstly, I'm still running Win7, which I've had to reinstall a few months ago.

After reinstalling the three original games and applying the latest patches and Radeon graphics fixes, all of them run with no problems. However, I've noticed a couple of odd things. While CMBO and CMAK start immediately after I click their icons, CMBB has a 43 second delay before its splash screen comes up, which is something I don't remember having been the case in my previous installs. Also, although the CMBO patch says it's v1.12, its splash screen says v1.3, which is also something I don't remember being the case previously, although I may just not have noticed it.

Like I said, all three games seem to run fine, so I'm just wondering about these issues (which may be non-issues).

Edited by Rob2020

I can't see any of the the scenario's /saves in my cmak scenario list for some reason. I can click on the blank area and a scenario will load up, I just don't have any idea what I am loading up until on the battlefield... strange.

EDIT: Ah yes, I re-installed Windows 7 on this laptop, CMAK was located on another drive... I assume I will need to re-install for the scenario list to become visible for me again? Luckly I did make a snap purchase of the CMx1 bundle package a several years ago (I just had to have a better digital backup of this series) and the price was right....

Edited by Blazing 88's

• 1 year later...

I bought Combat Mission Afrika Korps many years ago. Enjoyed the game. Currently, the game is not installed as I have gone though several computers over the years. Now, I'm using Linux, but still have one computer that is dual boot with Windows 10. Before installing again, I have been looking through this forum.

In the image below, there are two Windows "patch" files, without any explanation. Before doing anything; I was wondering how these "patches" are loaded. Specifically, do they improve any game functionality with Windows as the original version of Afrika Korps appears to be now behind the times.

Screenshot.png

The 'green' patches are the 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 patches that MUST be consecutively applied. The patches are NOT cumulative, so you could not simply apply the 1.03 patch and be fully up-to-date. These patches are for the Battlefront version of the game, which will require the CMAK CD to be present in your optical drive in order for them to work. You will need CMAK to be fully installed before applying them and make sure you know the path to the CMAK installation, especially if it is not the default one (the patches may require you to specify this path).

These patches do NOT do anything in regards to Windows compatibility. These patches mostly addressed minor data issues with the game (incorrect characteristics for vehicles, etc.). They all came out before Windows Vista (2003 time frame, I believe). There is/was a 1.04 patch that addressed a particular graphics bug seen under Windows Vista (and possibly later) that newer driver releases from Nvidia and AMD addressed (thus negating the need for the patch). The 1.04 patch utilized the eLicense copy-protection system and was NOT free. It is also no longer offered, so 1.03 is the latest patch for CMAK.

Thanks very much for the response. I have the CD, but I feel a bit disappointed that this game has not been updated. I'll take a pass for now, but will look into other more current games by Battlefront. One reason for my "sudden" interest in Combat Mission Afrika Korps was that Tlller Software, now Wargame Design Studio issued recent upgrades for its "old" games. Thanks again for providing a very informative response.