best scenarios for CMBS noob

danfrodo

hey folks, I just picked up CMBS + battle pack -- I was inspired by Bud Backer's excellent comic book series today.  I have experience in all the WW2 titles but also in SF2, so a little modern warfare under my belt.  After any tutorial stuff, where do y'all think a new player should go?  I want to avoid the nastier battles until I get a feel for what I'm doing.  These modern weapons look truly terrifying.

12 hours ago, danfrodo said:

hey folks, I just picked up CMBS + battle pack -- I was inspired by Bud Backer's excellent comic book series today.  I have experience in all the WW2 titles but also in SF2, so a little modern warfare under my belt.  After any tutorial stuff, where do y'all think a new player should go?  I want to avoid the nastier battles until I get a feel for what I'm doing.  These modern weapons look truly terrifying.

CMBS + Battle Pack is an excellent purchase and one of my favorites. Modern is fast,lethal and a lot of fun to play. Pretty much if you can spot it you can do some real damage quickly.  Bud Backer's comic book art is excellent.

7 hours ago, Howler said:

Play the US side progressing from smallest to largest. Once you have a good feel for the capabilities then play the UKR/RUS. No side spots as well as the US and this will flatten the curve as you come up to speed...

Good advice from Howler on how to progress and get up to speed on the units capabilities and spotting. Don't jump in the BIG battles 1st... start small and US. 

Another suggestion is go in the Editor and set up some small scenario testing with limited units and include some night battles in the mix. A lot of CMBS is making sure you know where not to be because avoiding being spotted. With Modern... if you can see it you can probably kill it. Provides a much greater appreciation of all the CM WWII games. I enjoy switching back and forth for the change of pace and unit equipment / tactics needed. 

Buzz

Thanks very much everyone.  I started w smallest as suggested.  These Russian soldiers are for real!  Dude is hitting me w grenade launcher from 500m and seems to be bravest man on earth.  Bullets and mortars all around him and he just keeps firing.  How many rounds does this guy have??   I've got MG firing from a reverse hill crest, a good position, but their luck will run out at some point.

THIS IS FUN!!!

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

THIS IS FUN!!!

:) And it gets more intense as the battles get bigger. Have fun and Get Some!

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

After WW2 simulations, CMBS was sure an eye-opener. No longer was it fairly safe to hide in some shrubs... thermal sights FTW! ;)

:D Yes CMBS is a wee bit more intense. BFC has such a rich palette of WWII kits it makes one really appreciate  how much equipment / tactics have evolved with CM Modern, CMSF2 & CMBS.

Buzz

On 3/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, danfrodo said:

My first one was "Ambush", a tiny fun scenario at slow pace.

the 2nd one was a bad choice, "Brutal!", I was humiliated by AI

3rd one was "Galloping Horse Downfall"

8 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

After WW2 simulations, CMBS was sure an eye-opener. No longer was it fairly safe to hide in some shrubs... thermal sights FTW! ;)

CMBS present a modern battlefield that is deadly, brutal and unforgiven .

An important lesson from CMBS is "Do NOT stay at the same place for more than 1 min!" .  And if you are facing US Army, then you got to update it to "Don't sit at the same place fore more than 15 seconds!"

first battle was little US recon mission, major victory, all infantry.  Second was another small one, Russian force trying to take Ukr urban area.  I've got four BTR-82 and a couple platoons of infantry.  I thought "my modern Russian army will crush them".  I am taking heavy casualties and not making much progress.  These Ukranians are serious!

• 2 weeks later...

So can I see through smoke as US player?  are those thermal sights by soldiers have?  I am on my ~6th or 7th battle now, playing Phase Line Green + cheat -- meaning I gave myself extra resources via scenario editor before I started.  Had a very tough battle in previous and am hoping for an easier time.  by cheating.

My problem is those Russian LAVs w the 30mm man-shredding guns.  I've got one on reverse slope but how can I approach to get a AT missile shot?  I could blind it w smoke, move up, then shoot before he sees me if my sights are thermal.

On 4/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, danfrodo said:

So can I see through smoke as US player?  are those thermal sights by soldiers have?  I am on my ~6th or 7th battle now, playing Phase Line Green + cheat -- meaning I gave myself extra resources via scenario editor before I started.  Had a very tough battle in previous and am hoping for an easier time.  by cheating.

My problem is those Russian LAVs w the 30mm man-shredding guns.  I've got one on reverse slope but how can I approach to get a AT missile shot?  I could blind it w smoke, move up, then shoot before he sees me if my sights are thermal.

it depends on what kind of smoke.  In the game, most of the smoke generated from AFV are IR-Blocking smoke. Smoke screen generated by Artillery is not IR blocking

I did some testing scenario before

On 4/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, danfrodo said:

I guess even IR-blocking smoke can be helpful. You can have ATGM run into position, wait for smoke dissipates. With TI you will spot him first.   

Besides smoke, you can use the combo of "Target Armor Arc" and Hunt command, slowly move forward for establish vision contact.  Or slowly crawling into the postion

On 4/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Me too.....Same scenarios, same order (same result in 'Brutal').  ;)

That is a great honor

In fact about scenario Brutal! , after defeated by AI, I asked two PBEM game to play ask UKR. 

No doubt the first one was a defeat 

1162936468_BrutalRusTV.jpg.f063d7e8c333199e85ff801bb09a4327.jpg

But the second one, with enough knowledge on the map, good planning and a little bit of luck,  plus my opponent was a little of reckless. 

I lead Ukraine 1st Bn/17 Bde  into a glorious victory  :) 

150542493_BrutalUkrMV.jpg.51e106eda22055df0cfcd73b7e99dc78.jpg

Edited by Chibot Mk IX

I guess I better play Brutal next.  I was going most in order smallest first but skipped a few to try to improve my US faction skills.  I got a total victory -- except I added a 4 vehicle scout platoon in scenario editor, so yes, I cheated.  I'll play Brutal straight up and see how badly I get whupped.  I've gotten a mix so far of wins, losses and draws.  Like forgetting to dismount my Stinger team and watching helplessly as four strykers get brewed up in less than 2 minutes.  Ooops.  Turns out the Russians know about airplanes.

Chibot, thanks for the tips on IR vs non-IR smoke.  You are in China?  I hope you are stable to stay safe & healthy.  Here in US we are still not peaked I think.

I wonder if they will ever have a CM People's Army game?  That would be interesting.  China vs Taiwan?  Amphibious landings, Chinese vs mostly US gear? 

7 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I guess I better play Brutal next.  I was going most in order smallest first but skipped a few to try to improve my US faction skills.  I got a total victory -- except I added a 4 vehicle scout platoon in scenario editor, so yes, I cheated.  I'll play Brutal straight up and see how badly I get whupped.  I've gotten a mix so far of wins, losses and draws.  Like forgetting to dismount my Stinger team and watching helplessly as four strykers get brewed up in less than 2 minutes.  Ooops.  Turns out the Russians know about airplanes.

Chibot, thanks for the tips on IR vs non-IR smoke.  You are in China?  I hope you are stable to stay safe & healthy.  Here in US we are still not peaked I think.

I wonder if they will ever have a CM People's Army game?  That would be interesting.  China vs Taiwan?  Amphibious landings, Chinese vs mostly US gear? 

Thank you danfrodo, hope you stay safe & healthy too.  I am a Chinese but now I am living and working in Michigan ( of course, work from home right now :) ). So far my county is OK.

Yes, it would be great to see PLA in the future CM game. But I guess PLA Pixeltruppen got to wait behind a long line of wish list, wait for CM North Africa, Vietnam, Pacific, Middle East and Fulda Gap come out first .

Also, Chinese military experienced a dramatic transformation in last 20 years. It's going to be a PITA for BFC to study PLA's OOB.