Be Not The Anvil

Well, that's the second tank that Gorokhov and his men have looked down the barrel of...and survived (well, some of them)!  :unsure:  For now...

I'm hoping this isn't your shortest comic yet.  

Crazy stuff Bud.  I'm pretty sure "Piz-Dets" doesn't translate to "Where's the Tube Guy?"

And, you leave us huddled in the smoke while facing down certain death once more.

[Cut to commercial...Limu Emu...And Doug...]

Hungering for more!

Heinrich505

16 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Well, that's the second tank that Gorokhov and his men have looked down the barrel of...and survived (well, some of them)!  :unsure:  For now...

I'm hoping this isn't your shortest comic yet.  

Crazy stuff Bud.  I'm pretty sure "Piz-Dets" doesn't translate to "Where's the Tube Guy?"

And, you leave us huddled in the smoke while facing down certain death once more.

Not the shortest comic, no. That was Somebody’s Hero. This one still has some tales to tell. ;)

@IanL’s use of armour was masterful in this battle. However, this particular enemy tank...

On 3/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Bud Backer said:

Valley of the Immortals was a great one - made even more exciting because it was a two-parter. I just finished The Voronov Plot and was amazed at how politically astute it was. 

Thanks for explaining the quote. You're right, it is applicable to life. :)

As a dedicated Blake and Mortimer-fan (own all of them and reread them every year) I must say that Voronov Plot is one of my favorites. Not all non-Jacobs strips of Blake and Mortimer are good, but this one certainly is one of the best.

20 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Hah!  Thanks Bud.  I was wondering what Bakhtiyarov was up to.  

As if things couldn't get worse.  Now Gorokhov has some shavetail ordering him around.  

I hope he is a +2.  ;)

We’re definitely not done with our intrepid driver! 

More worrisome is that the T90 is knocked out by the enemy tanks. That’s 25% of the Russian tanks in this battle, and is the second one. 

11 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Exciting stuff!

...and beautiful screenshots...

Thanks, Freyberg! I keep trying new stuff so it’s good to hear the style and appearance (which is unique once again) is visually pleasing.

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Missed this completly until now. Great story! One can smell the sweat and smoke.

You should publish books.

Thanks. If you start smelling things while reading then I did something right; it is supposed to feel rather close to the ground and action. (Hence the very rare aerial shot).

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

As a dedicated Blake and Mortimer-fan (own all of them and reread them every year) I must say that Voronov Plot is one of my favorites. Not all non-Jacobs strips of Blake and Mortimer are good, but this one certainly is one of the best.

Blake & Mortimer is right behind Tintin for me, and I seriously love Tintin. Of the Blake & Mortimer books, I have to agree, Voronov Plot is indeed one of the best in that whole series. I would have a hard time finding one I like more. 

48 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Thanks, Freyberg! I keep trying new stuff so it’s good to hear the style and appearance (which is unique once again) is visually pleasing.

Thanks. If you start smelling things while reading then I did something right; it is supposed to feel rather close to the ground and action. (Hence the very rare aerial shot).

I often think how well CM is suited for illustrating some/certain books about the fighting in WW2. Especially considering the fact there's are so few good action shots. Books like the Visual Battle Guides by David Porter for instance would be ideal to use CM screenshots.  David Glantz or Douglas Nash Sr less so of course. One can also think about tactical guides etc. This AAR once again shows how detailed such guides could be made by skilled people like Bud.

Edited by Aragorn2002

That’s very kind.

As an illustrative method for showing certain postures and techniques, I think you may be right. @Bil Hardenberger‘s blog shows nice screenshots of various techniques like overwatch etc. 

In terms of representing actual historical battles, I personally would be more cautious - anything we do would be a facsimile, perhaps detailed and researched but a facsimile nonetheless. Much like the painted plates showing battle scenes in the various Osprey books. Nice, very nice indeed, but much of it is simply an interpretation, more representative than factual. That doesn’t mean there is no value in doing it, just that one has to be cautious in how it is presented to the viewer to not mislead them unintentionally.

Nonetheless an interesting concept.