Be Not The Anvil

While Ian and I are sorting out some really disappointing challenges with our CMFI AAR - one I wish to complete regardless, I was swamped with a major project at work and of course now our friendly pandemic. He and I started a battle in CMBS to have something in the fire while we slowly got things going in R2V, and I wanted to try a different comic software. It’s a nice one that works on both my Mac and my IPad which allows for some added flexibility. I was going to post this after I finished another comic, but that one also ran into a snag with all files lost and I am underway making that from scratch. 

But then this happened... 

Blame him...

In any case, CMBS and CMSF2 are the two game families that have no comic for them. This is an attempt to rectify that gross lack. ;)

Edited by Bud Backer

I’ve no idea how many are reading this but I’ll give some background to what you’re seeing.

First of all, this is created using new software that I wanted to try. Making this comic took almost three months which is about the same time per page as my previous ones. I was concerned about the learning curve when switching software but it was less effort than I expected. There were a few shortcomings, like very few onomatopoeia, and one's ability to manipulate them wasn’t as advanced as my usual software. However, the ability to change the dimensions and shapes of each panel on the fly was huge. Previously I had to go on to separate custom software to re-size the individual panels on a page and they had to be four sized, and right-angle parallelograms. With the software I used here, I could almost make any shape. This afforded much more flexibility in terms of layout, as well as reducing reader boredom through panel layout repetition.

Second, I wanted to give the perspective of a single squad in combat. Some films, and a number of books, have taken a much more focused view of battle, personalizing it. Rather than making it that of one man, I thought a squad might be interesting. There are few grand overheads, because a squad would have none. There are few explanations of what is going on everywhere else in the battle (and it was a fair sized one) because again, a squad would have little such information. If you’re confused what is going on where, then you’re in the boots of Gorokhov and his men: aware of a wider engagement around you, following where you are led, and only certain of what you’re doing and the ground you’re running on.

Finally, since this is a special edition, the look itself of the graphics is different. You won’t find many speech bubbles here, and no comic half-tone dots. I wanted this to look less like a comic and more like a graphic novel.

Just discovered this so that's one reader ;-). I usually read all your AARs (and others), however often just lurking but giving likes. Due to corona I work from home so everything is a bit more calm and thought to post to show there are actually people reading and enjoying. I think I'm not the only lurker who enjoys those. 

Great to have a AAR to read during this period!

So, thanks! :)

7 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

I’ve no idea how many are reading this but I’ll give some background to what you’re seeing.

First of all, this is created using new software that I wanted to try. Making this comic took almost three months which is about the same time per page as my previous ones. I was concerned about the learning curve when switching software but it was less effort than I expected. There were a few shortcomings, like very few onomatopoeia, and one's ability to manipulate them wasn’t as advanced as my usual software. However, the ability to change the dimensions and shapes of each panel on the fly was huge. Previously I had to go on to separate custom software to re-size the individual panels on a page and they had to be four sized, and right-angle parallelograms. With the software I used here, I could almost make any shape. This afforded much more flexibility in terms of layout, as well as reducing reader boredom through panel layout repetition.

Second, I wanted to give the perspective of a single squad in combat. Some films, and a number of books, have taken a much more focused view of battle, personalizing it. Rather than making it that of one man, I thought a squad might be interesting. There are few grand overheads, because a squad would have none. There are few explanations of what is going on everywhere else in the battle (and it was a fair sized one) because again, a squad would have little such information. If you’re confused what is going on where, then you’re in the boots of Gorokhov and his men: aware of a wider engagement around you, following where you are led, and only certain of what you’re doing and the ground you’re running on.

Finally, since this is a special edition, the look itself of the graphics is different. You won’t find many speech bubbles here, and no comic half-tone dots. I wanted this to look less like a comic and more like a graphic novel.

As someone that does enjoy cartoons (mainly things like Blake & Mortimer, Trigan empire, Storm, adventures of Alex), but don't read a lot of them anymore since a long time; I do enjoy the cartoon format, both your normal style and this style. 
Appreciate the time that goes into creating these!

50 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Just discovered this so that's one reader ;-). I usually read all your AARs (and others), however often just lurking but giving likes. Due to corona I work from home so everything is a bit more calm and thought to post to show there are actually people reading and enjoying. I think I'm not the only lurker who enjoys those. 

Great to have a AAR to read during this period!

So, thanks! :)

Thanks, I appreciate post - "Likes" are always nice but hearing people's thoughts are more satisfying. 

46 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

As someone that does enjoy cartoons (mainly things like Blake & Mortimer, Trigan empire, Storm, adventures of Alex), but don't read a lot of them anymore since a long time; I do enjoy the cartoon format, both your normal style and this style. 
Appreciate the time that goes into creating these!

I am re-reading all the Blake & Mortimer ones gradually. They are superb and it's nice that they are still releasing new ones; I bought the most recent one a couple of months ago as soon as it was released in English. My original inspiration for the more comic-like CAARs I've posted here were Tintin and Commando Comics. I prefer "real-life based" ones over superheroes.

May I ask where the quote in your signature comes from? I can't remember where I've seen that before. 

15 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Thanks, I appreciate post - "Likes" are always nice but hearing people's thoughts are more satisfying. 

I am re-reading all the Blake & Mortimer ones gradually. They are superb and it's nice that they are still releasing new ones; I bought the most recent one a couple of months ago as soon as it was released in English. My original inspiration for the more comic-like CAARs I've posted here were Tintin and Commando Comics. I prefer "real-life based" ones over superheroes.

May I ask where the quote in your signature comes from? I can't remember where I've seen that before. 

My father bought the The Valley of the Immortals recently and when I discovered that, I confisqated them for a few days :) Tintin was one of my favorites as a child, I think they're still great. I too prefer the 'real-life based' over superheroes.

The quote is attributed to Ferdinand Foch during WW1. He supposedly wrote it in a report he send to Joffre. Whether he actually send it, I don't mind. I think I first read it in The First World War by John Keegan.

Anyway, I found it a very powerful mindset applicable for my own life :), part of 'the art of living'. 

22 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

Valley of the Immortals was a great one - made even more exciting because it was a two-parter. I just finished The Voronov Plot and was amazed at how politically astute it was. 

Thanks for explaining the quote. You're right, it is applicable to life. :)

Haven't read The Voronov Plot yet, so good to know there is more in store. 

Ps: Some nice intense action! CMBS is very lethal.

Edited by Lethaface

CMBS is VERY lethal. So often you think something can't see you and then... disaster. Andreyev will have his hands full.

@Lethaface  Voronov Plot is from a couple of years ago. I have a chart that lists them all in chronological order - not publication order but if one was to read them in the order they happen. Here it is, you may find it a different experience to read them chronologically rather than in order of publication. 

ob_5a46e8_chrono-betm-3-ok.jpg

Valley of the Immortals, which starts with the end of the Chinese Revolution, would fall between the end of Secret of the Swordfish and beginning of Mystery of the Grand Pyramid.

19 minutes ago, Bud Backer said:

CMBS is VERY lethal. So often you think something can't see you and then... disaster. Andreyev will have his hands full.

@Lethaface  Voronov Plot is from a couple of years ago. I have a chart that lists them all in chronological order - not publication order but if one was to read them in the order they happen. Here it is, you may find it a different experience to read them chronologically rather than in order of publication. 

ob_5a46e8_chrono-betm-3-ok.jpg

Valley of the Immortals, which starts with the end of the Chinese Revolution, would fall between the end of Secret of the Swordfish and beginning of Mystery of the Grand Pyramid.

Thanks for the image! I'll save that.
It would sure be nice to read them again, in the chronical order of the stories. I did notice that Valley of the Immortals should take place after the Swordfish stories, which was my favorite. I store all my cartoons at my fathers collection, because he has a much larger collection and keeps good care of them. 
Think he has all but one or two, they can be a bit hard to find in shops here (the one(s) that are left) but I'll check if I can find those for his upcoming birthday. 

Bud Backer is clearly an undercover marketing agent for BF.  I am finally going to buy CMBS.  I had put it off because so busy w the other titles, and the lethality scares me, but it's time.  No sports, lots of time around the house, why not a nice trip to Ukraine.  That gives me all the titles except afghanistan.

1 hour ago, Bud Backer said:

Just looked on the web and all are available at a bargin (10eur). Turned out we just missed one, so ordered it on the fly. Thanks!