New Computer Time

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

You know what... I checked again with some other good IT folks and I now agree with you.  The NVMe is a waste of money regardless of how little extra it may cost.  Thanks for alerting me to that.

So assuming I get SATA SSD's, any other comments/critiques on the system 

Maybe a litle noicy/loud under load,  with a small single fan liquid cooloing solution. But if you dont care, of the sound from the speeding fan. I think you will be happy soon. 

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

You know what... I checked again with some other good IT folks and I now agree with you.  The NVMe is a waste of money regardless of how little extra it may cost.  Thanks for alerting me to that.

So assuming I get SATA SSD's, any other comments/critiques on the system above?

No problem, glad I could be of help.

I think your build is pretty solid. I would warn against getting your hopes up for 60+FPS at 4k on Ultra graphics with DCS though. We currently just don't have access to the equipment needed to make the feasible within a sane consumer context. 4k is definitely one of the newest frontiers. You will have a fantastic time at 1440p though and medium/low at 4k seems very doable.

Also if you are at all interested in VR this build would do great with a VR set for playing  flight sim in.

3 hours ago, luigim said:

Someone that have last gen ryzen 3000's can say how this CPU go with combat mission?

I have a Ryzen 5, but I suspect it would work fine.

CM is a very old code base and you are going to be really limited on how much you can get out of the game even with new hardware. The code just isn't setup to take advantage of all the additional power now available.

2 hours ago, com-intern said:

would warn against getting your hopes up for 60+FPS at 4k on Ultra graphics with DCS though

That's fine...  I hope that IL2 will at least look good.  I have dozens of other flight sims, tank sims and other classics like GTA from the last 20 years stacked up in unopened boxes that have been unplayed due to CM becoming my obsession for so long. 

However, am concerned that the old games may not run in Win 10 without deleting some security aspects.  For example I had to delete security update kb3086255 from my Win 7 machine in order to get the (original) "Rome: Total War" to run. 

(Anyone know what may need to be done to get older games to run in Win 10?)

BTW:  I realized that by switching both SSD's back to SATA only saves me a total of about $120, so the NVMe's are not much more expensive.  I can only think that the justification for having NVMe's is if one is frequently transferring large amounts of data between the SSD's.  Is that correct?

Edited by Erwin

I never had issues with older games on Win10 (I played Rome Total War: Alexander recently) until I upgraded to a more modern video card. Then I started to have huge issues and really dig into the work around bucket.

Luckily GOG forums are pretty good resources for finding fixes.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

BTW:  I realized that by switching both SSD's back to SATA only saves me a total of about $120, so the NVMe's are not much more expensive.  I can only think that the justification for having NVMe's is if one is frequently transferring large amounts of data between the SSD's.  Is that correct?

That is the only thing I could think of. Is that enough to put towards any other upgrade (monitor, audio, keyboard?) I recently got a mechanical keyboard which I didn't think would make a huge deal but I like a ton. Maybe a chair or nice headset? There is a lot of extraneous stuff you might not normally consider but would improve your ability to enjoy your new PC more than faster transfer speeds when doing backups.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=140

• 2 weeks later...

To accompany my new system (thank you again for all your help btw), have been considering this new monitor from Dell:  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1258843-REG/dell_p4317q_43_16_9_4k.html/overview

It's supposed to be available April 1 (hopefully not a joke)

However, it already has reviews from folks who claim to already have one or more.  Anyone here have one or have comments?

It "supports a single DisplayPort 1.2 input from a computer but it must be DisplayPort 1.2." 

What is that?

Edited by Erwin

DisplayPort version 1.2 was introduced on 7 January 2010. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth

My MSI monitor was capable of a 100 hertz refresh rate. I originally connected it with a HDMI cable, however my computer would not set higher than 60 hertz.

I was looking for the monitor manual, when I found a cable in the shipping box. It was a 1.2 display port cable.

After hooking it up, the refresh rate of 100 hertz was available and the picture quality  was improved.

My nvidia graphics card is an older 700 series ti, and it had a 1.2 display port connection. I am sure your newer card will too.

Edited by z1812

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 6:19 PM, Erwin said:

While I play CM2 mostly, I do also may dabble with high end flight sims like DCS A-10 etc.  Want to make sure the system can easily power 4K/UHD TV/monitor.

Hey Erwin

Did you see, that DCS: MiG 15Bis is for free on steam right now. With DCS: UH-1H Huey coming up.

https://steamdb.info/upcoming/free/

Edited by Armorgunner

Thanks for the heads-up.  (Altho' have to say that am not a fan of Steam as I hate installing extra software that could spy.)

FWIW: I have the new system but it only has HDMI and Display Port and my old Dell 30" only has DVI.  So am waiting for an adapter from Monoprice (xnt for cables and adaptors) so I can test new system.  (Will get new monitor after I make sure new system is ok.)

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Thanks for the heads-up.  (Altho' have to say that am not a fan of Steam as I hate installing extra software that could spy.)

FWIW: I have the new system but it only has HDMI and Display Port and my old Dell 30" only has DVI.  So am waiting for an adapter from Monoprice (xnt for cables and adaptors) so I can test new system.  (Will get new monitor after I make sure new system is ok.)

That sounds, safe and sound.